Frustration with stupid Hearies

I'm sure I misunderstood anyway- it wasn't worth my original mention. Sorry to stir the pot.

Yeah... I don't think that is what she meant either. In any case I'd like to extend an invitation to chat and offer my insight but it looks like your private message function is turned off?

Listen i know your frustration.Dont you think Hearies don't know how to speak to the deaf? Its confusing for them too.

Maybe so but is no excuse for hearing people to be rude about it. When I am talking to the manger of my condo on the phone and she does understand a word I said , she will very rudely say "YOUR WHAT !" She does this all the time and I end up wanting to tell her to take flying _! She is so insulting about my speech defect . She does not do this at meeting , she does not the guts to do it in front of other people.

I'm sorry you're frustrated, and I don't doubt that there are people that act stupid when you ask for help understanding them. I know that if a deaf or HoH person asked me to repeat something or write it down, I would go out of my way trying to accommodate them.... and because I try to keep my default setting to assuming the best about people, I assume that you would have done the same when you were a hearing person.
It feels like I get crazy looks for everything under the sun when I'm out in public, and I'm a hearing person. But with an autistic child, I get looks when he is loud, or isn't able to use the same level of speech that other children his age use, and I get lots of eyes rolled at me when we are at events that have childcare and I explain that all doors must be locked at all times, otherwise he could escape, run into traffic and be killed. It's unfortunately a society problem that many people are rude unless they have to be otherwise.
It's a lot easier to shrug off now that I have been dealing with it for a few years now. Every so often, someone gets under my skin again, though. I imagine it will be similar with you- you will care less about rude people's reactions the more often you navigate those situations. Also, the more coping techniques you come up with, the easier it will be. The notepad with the heading on it sounds like a good idea. (Although I was really confused when the one person responded to your post as if hearing people should carry around notepads, waiting to run into deaf people that might need them... huh? Maybe I just misunderstood.)
All I can say is to try not to let the haters get you down, and remember that there are plenty of good people out there that may not understand all the issues that you are navigating, but they are willing to learn and help when they can. I may not be HoH or deaf, but I have plenty of health issues for myself and my loved ones that make it difficult to work and live in the world, and I can tell you that things will get better with time, experience, and by meeting the people that are not rude jerks and that will walk through this life with you, no matter what your differences are :)

No poster said that at all. You really are determined to come in here and troll, aren't you?

Sure are a sweet bunch, aren't you? Nope, I wasn't trolling at all- in fact, I was trying my best to spread a little good will and cheer. If you'll check the post I was referring to by femme fatale, she said "The hearing world isn't expected to provide the communication tools necessary to get our message accross, WE have to accomodate them." To which I said that I didn't understand that.... which was one little line out of a ton of nice things I was saying. And then after that, I went out of my way to clarify and to say I'm sure that the issue was that I didn't understand. What is so wrong with me being nice, honest, and generally a good human being? Geez, you must have quite the fan club with how kind and accepting you are of others.

It won't let me pm you, but I'd suggest talking to me or someone else in private before you say anything else. I don't think you're meaning to upset, hence is why I am trying.

Looks like I have to pay for private messaging, I think. Hold on, I'll create an email address just to communicate with you- I don't want to use my own because not everyone has been very nice on here so far.

Sure are a sweet bunch, aren't you? Nope, I wasn't trolling at all- in fact, I was trying my best to spread a little good will and cheer. If you'll check the post I was referring to by femme fatale, she said "The hearing world isn't expected to provide the communication tools necessary to get our message accross, WE have to accomodate them." To which I said that I didn't understand that.... which was one little line out of a ton of nice things I was saying. And then after that, I went out of my way to clarify and to say I'm sure that the issue was that I didn't understand. What is so wrong with me being nice, honest, and generally a good human being? Geez, you must have quite the fan club with how kind and accepting you are of others.

To the bolded part: You don't have a clue. I'm guessing you are hearing.

Yeah... I don't think that is what she meant either. In any case I'd like to extend an invitation to chat and offer my insight but it looks like your private message function is turned off?

S/he may not have enough posts yet to receive PMs.

Firstly, you can't send PMs until you have over a certain number of post. So if you just joined, you will have to get X amount of posts in before you can PM anyone within the forums. I think the number is 10? I am not sure what the exact number on this forum is.

Secondly, DC,

What Femme was talking about is how we as deaf people have to make sure we have the notepads/pens to be able to communicate with the hearing people. It's not like the hearing will have such items to be able to communicate with most deaf people. Most hearing people don't know a deaf person. What hearing person needs to carry a pad and pen when they can just speak?? Right? A deaf person needs to make sure they have the Pen and Pad and to be able to get their message across if they cannot speak or cannot hear. So a deaf person having a Pen and Pad will make things easier. All the Hearing person needs to do is 'be nice' and communicate via Pad. Not that hard at all. But in the case of most people, hearing people are impatient and thinks it's a waste of time, they are the ones who are being extremely rude and ignorant. Not every hearing person is like this, don't get me wrong.

Now this might seems odd to you, but this is what we deal with every single day of our lives. We come across this so many times. Some of us are used to it, others it pisses off.

To reply here and to no one in particular, I've been HOH for 53 years and have never come across anyone being rude, or stupid or anything else toward me after stating that I'm HOH. They always accommodate me in any way they can. Must be 'cause I'm so loveable, huh? I'm always perplexed at this discussion, just don't get why people are having such a hard time with the hearing population!

To reply here and to no one in particular, I've been HOH for 53 years and have never come across anyone being rude, or stupid or anything else toward me after stating that I'm HOH. They always accommodate me in any way they can. Must be 'cause I'm so loveable, huh? I'm always perplexed at this discussion, just don't get why people are having such a hard time with the hearing population!

You live in Maine in a small town?

That's all the explanation needed. People are more accountable for their actions when everyone knows everyone.

Plus you spent twenty some years hearing , and probably have speech that is easy for hearing to understand?

You live in Maine in a small town?

That's all the explanation needed. People are more accountable for their actions when everyone knows everyone.

Plus you spent twenty some years hearing , and probably have speech that is easy for hearing to understand?

Ok, I do see the difference there, wasn't thinking along those lines. Thank you for that info.

Its a cultural thing, in a nutshell.....

Back