Frustration with stupid Hearies

MDFighter

Reaction score
I'm getting so fed up with stupid Hearies who don't get that people just can't hear. I was hearing before and now am loosing my hearing. I'm HoH now and some days I'm completely Deaf. I'm so frustrated with ignorant people that act disgusted with me when I ask them to write stuff down or repeat themselves loudly! How do some of you deal with the frustration? I'm about ready to punch the next guy in the face who shoots me a dirty look about it!

I'm sorry! I can't imagine how you must feel. Maybe have a special notepad that has a headline that states, Yes I'm deaf, please write to communicate, but don't yell at me like I'm stupid and treat me like a human being. Lol if I were in your shoes I would totally try to get creative with that one... sometimes I'm tempted to post obnoxious saying on my car when I want to speak my mind... but you might actually be able to get away with it if you choose. :) I think you can special order notepads to have a specific message at the top if you don't feel like writing out what you want to express if you choose to express it. :)

You look like a really sweet girl tho... so I don't know how you would feel about doing such, but I would and feel no shame if I were in your position. :)

I'm getting so fed up with stupid Hearies who don't get that people just can't hear. I was hearing before and now am loosing my hearing. I'm HoH now and some days I'm completely Deaf. I'm so frustrated with ignorant people that act disgusted with me when I ask them to write stuff down or repeat themselves loudly! How do some of you deal with the frustration? I'm about ready to punch the next guy in the face who shoots me a dirty look about it!

Do you mean people like store clerks?

If they can't work a little to communicate any necessary things to me, I make sure to stay out of their lines or stations.

But mostly, we do everything possible self service or over the internet and don't try to communicate with stupid people. In other words we try to arrange life so it isn't needed to communicate with them.

For paying, use a credit card, and just smile and swipe it. No need to talk to them.

God, but that just isn't fair at all for you! These posts make me so mad. Not at you guys, but at people. People in general just... aren't very nice, or considerate, and I'm not sure why. :(

Ugh, yeah. Lol kinda makes me wanna go in the business of creating obnoxiously useful ways to put inconsiderate people in their place. I don't get it.

Ignorance leaves people feeling alienated and wounded, and that is just not fair. Because then, it effects every other relationship that they may have. I don't know what drives people to be so ignorant or mean, but seriously they could probably learn a lot if they embrace something different. I can hear, but I've come to find that even when you're hearing, people are just... ignorant. I would imagine it would be harder to get through to such people in this situation.

The hearing world isn't expected to provide the communication tools necessary to get our message accross, WE have to accomodate them. Before I received a CI, I relied on a small notepad, regardless of their reaction as long as we all understood each other. With my friends and family, I taught them how to fingerspell, sometimes came up with clever gestures, but we can't expect them to learn ASL. Sure, there are a few true idiots with childish reactions, but the majority simply misunderstand us and do not know a way to approach communication with us. Give the sane ones a chance, you'd be surprised - whatever works.

I'm the same with above... most of the time I was able to use notepad or use the phone "notepad" to text to communicate. It can be frustrating at times, but if a hearing person has patience that works better. Impatient people are usually ignorant and wastes your time. In my work environment, we use texting to communicate, at times we use the computer MS word for pre work communication meeting or safety related meeting.

In restaurants, I'd just point on the menu and if I want something specific, I'd use their notepad to make sure the waiter gets my order clearly. There are times I had issues with some ignorant employees but it won't do you any good and they lose me as a customer. :)

Listen i know your frustration.Dont you think Hearies don't know how to speak to the deaf? Its confusing for them too.

all I can say I not had so many problem accept auckland and Sydney airport it was awful Heath Road brillant...I put needs on a tx sometimes people got no patience but they may been in hurry..i have asked people who know alphabet and spell it or learned level one that can be painful but they tried. my own family most ignorant

I agree is can be very frustrating dealing with some hearing people . If you're at a store and can't get anywhere with the salesperson you could ask to speak to the manger and hope they'll be able to help you. I can't tell how many times I been on the phone and told the person on the other end that "I am HOH and can't hear you " The person will answer back to me " I can YOU just fine!"I am like WT? I will ask the person "How does that help me ?" I guess we have to take pity on clueless hearing people and try to educate them one by one. And learn to count to ten before socking someone in the face. :giggle:

I can understand you frustration completely. I am hoh and started loosing my hearing at 22. Even my family member have a hard time understanding or realizing I can not hear everything all the time. I have good and bad days where I can hear out of my left ear better sometimes or days where everything sound muffled and low. I try to explain I'm not completely deaf so don't shout at me just talk normal cause I have learned to read lips. No one in my family knows asl and I understand people get busy and have no time for lessons but if that's the case and they want to talk to me they have to communicate my way which is text or writing. I have been in stores and I text on my memo app or note app to the customer service person so they will know I can't hear them but sometimes you get that one idiot that is lazy and doesn't want to do his job and that includes servicing someone with a disability. If it stores that you have issues with I would contact the supervisor or higher ups with a complaint so they can address the issue to their employees. If it's family and friends I had to stop talking to a few people and then they understood that they have to adjust just like I do to communicate. Tne Y don't understand how it's more frustrating to us than it is to them cause we have to go the extra mile of learning how to live with it.

Sent from my SM-T520 using AllDeaf App mobile app

people have a hard time accepting what they do not understand. I do not however think it is ok for people to treat you with disrespect because of it!!!!!!! I really wished I knew of way to help but I have the same problem with people getting annoyed at me. i can read lips so that has helped but it is not always easy. People are just inconsiderate. i am so sorry you are going through all this.

Well...just give them the FU sign and move on...not worth the hazzle to me.

I'm sorry you're frustrated, and I don't doubt that there are people that act stupid when you ask for help understanding them. I know that if a deaf or HoH person asked me to repeat something or write it down, I would go out of my way trying to accommodate them.... and because I try to keep my default setting to assuming the best about people, I assume that you would have done the same when you were a hearing person.
It feels like I get crazy looks for everything under the sun when I'm out in public, and I'm a hearing person. But with an autistic child, I get looks when he is loud, or isn't able to use the same level of speech that other children his age use, and I get lots of eyes rolled at me when we are at events that have childcare and I explain that all doors must be locked at all times, otherwise he could escape, run into traffic and be killed. It's unfortunately a society problem that many people are rude unless they have to be otherwise.
It's a lot easier to shrug off now that I have been dealing with it for a few years now. Every so often, someone gets under my skin again, though. I imagine it will be similar with you- you will care less about rude people's reactions the more often you navigate those situations. Also, the more coping techniques you come up with, the easier it will be. The notepad with the heading on it sounds like a good idea. (Although I was really confused when the one person responded to your post as if hearing people should carry around notepads, waiting to run into deaf people that might need them... huh? Maybe I just misunderstood.)
All I can say is to try not to let the haters get you down, and remember that there are plenty of good people out there that may not understand all the issues that you are navigating, but they are willing to learn and help when they can. I may not be HoH or deaf, but I have plenty of health issues for myself and my loved ones that make it difficult to work and live in the world, and I can tell you that things will get better with time, experience, and by meeting the people that are not rude jerks and that will walk through this life with you, no matter what your differences are :)

Yeah, you should probably re-read that. It's not what I said at all.

*Palm to face*

Ugh...

Back