Text-Messaging Ban begins Jan 1, 2008...

Kewl.

I've seen people drive crazy because they're too focused on their little mobile devices. :roll:

Isn't that my state? Or that DC at east US?

Everytime I hear about banning the cell phones, sidekicks, etc make me feel good!

Sometimes my mom come to my place or I go to her place for visiting or hanging out, what she do? Talking on the cell phone for like 30 min to an hour till she finally finish wiht the damn phone and VISIT me.

One time, I was waiting for my brother to get off his cell phone so that I can ask him a very little question, I did tapped his shoulder few times but he ignore me, I was waiting for like 2 or 3 hours for him to get off his damn cell phone, thus I asked him and he got dirty attitude at me for NOTHING, but he was just sick of talking with people...

Also I can't eve talk with those deafies who use the sidekick, they usually ignore their IM on the sidekick because they are just sick of it which make it harder for me to get in touch..

I prefer old-fashional which only use the computer and home phone that's it. Also I was used to have the Motorola 2 ways pager, Ogo, and cell phone but never use them AT ALL, they are just annoying..

Then I need to setup sort of dash-computer in my car connect to my mobile phone. So, nobody would know I'm use mobile phone. :D

PuyoPiyo said:
Isn't that my state? Or that DC at east US?

Everytime I hear about banning the cell phones, sidekicks, etc make me feel good!

Sometimes my mom come to my place or I go to her place for visiting or hanging out, what she do? Talking on the cell phone for like 30 min to an hour till she finally finish wiht the damn phone and VISIT me.

One time, I was waiting for my brother to get off his cell phone so that I can ask him a very little question, I did tapped his shoulder few times but he ignore me, I was waiting for like 2 or 3 hours for him to get off his damn cell phone, thus I asked him and he got dirty attitude at me for NOTHING, but he was just sick of talking with people...

Also I can't eve talk with those deafies who use the sidekick, they usually ignore their IM on the sidekick because they are just sick of it which make it harder for me to get in touch..

I prefer old-fashional which only use the computer and home phone that's it. Also I was used to have the Motorola 2 ways pager, Ogo, and cell phone but never use them AT ALL, they are just annoying..
Sorry, but it sounds like your family members are just RUDE and disregard you. Unfortunately, there are many people in the world like that. The problem is, they do not have the right to endanger others on the road by driving while texting. Even talking on a cell phone is distracting and shouldnt be permitted. I totally agree with this law.

If I'm restating the obvious, then I apologize, but I'm seeing misunderstandings and side issues here regarding extremely important legislation.

1. Yes, it was Washington state which first enacted a law against receiving or sending text messages while operating a motor vehicle on January 1, 2008. Several other states are in the process of enacting similar legislation. In my opinion, to have to pass separate laws to stop homicidal stupidity is tragic. I'm sure every state already has laws on its books about drivers not distracting themselves while operating a vehicle, but I guess some idiots need specific attention for their inattention.

2. The legislation bans the use of texting equipment while driving. It does not ban owning phones nor using them while not operating a vehicle. However, I agree that people who text or phone while talking to another are extremely rude. I've had clerks and so called friends do it, and each time I have walked away to find someone who will offer better courtesy.

3. Oregon is currectly considering legislation to ban the use of hand-operated comunications of any type while driving, but for some crazy reason the ban would only apply to teen-agers. It's good legislation as far as it goes, but certainly needs to be extended to include us old people and all ages in between.

4. I have read two studies where accidents caused by drivers talking or texting via cell phones while driving are now injuring and killing more than drunk or drugged drivers. That's scary!

According to the video, he says it is Washington State. Not D.C.

Good! :D

Sorry, but it sounds like your family members are just RUDE and disregard you. Unfortunately, there are many people in the world like that. The problem is, they do not have the right to endanger others on the road by driving while texting. Even talking on a cell phone is distracting and shouldnt be permitted. I totally agree with this law.

Yupp I agree, it was rude to use the cell phone while visiting me, but the hearing people just don't understand..

A fair law.

We have this law in effect already, I think.

All I know is that drivers aren't allowed to use cellphones, handheld or not and text whilst driving because it causes many accidents.

Do many people listen? Not always.

PuyoPiyo said:
Yupp I agree, it was rude to use the cell phone while visiting me, but the hearing people just don't understand..

what's different if people are still use radio to listen like listen on cell phone? Just one hand to make different, huh? big whoop.

what's different if people are still use radio to listen like listen on cell phone? Just one hand to make different, huh? big whoop.
Hearing people can listen to a radio without paying attention to it the way they have to pay attention to a 2-way phone conversation. The radio doesn't require the same kind of concentration.

Here’s the results of just one of many, many studies showing similar results:

Teams of testers at University of Utah’s psychology and automotive departments have determined elevated dangers of accidents due to inattention when motorists talk on phones. These test include drivers with “hands-free sets.”

A significant part of the study showed drivers who were 100% sober but who were talking on the phone demonstrated the same impairment behind the wheel as people with the 0.08 percent blood alcohol content – drunk in almost every state.

It’s a clear and present danger that drunks and cell phone addicts are equal hazards while operating machines that daily maim and kill innocents as well as themselves.

Hearing people can listen to a radio without paying attention to it the way they have to pay attention to a 2-way phone conversation. The radio doesn't require the same kind of concentration.

driver singing, too. la de la de la. arrrghhh! *wack* :)

This will sound weird but I can concentrate on my driving better if I have the radio or music on while I'm driving, then if I drive in total silence. If I don't have "background" noise, I start daydreaming or thinking about stuff that distracts me. I plan shopping lists, budgets, schedules, remodeling projects, etc., in my head. That is more distracting to me than a talk radio program or a familiar song.

But I definitely cannot chat on the phone or text msg while driving. I either pull off the road to make a call, or make a brief call if the traffic is completely stopped, like while waiting for a long train to go by.

hearing people who drive with cell phones should be banned too.. They are a distraction to the road...kinda hard to talk to the phone and keep eye on the road at the same time. I've almost got in accident a few times with drivers who drive with cell phones.

Back