Deafhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Vinny

Reaction score
The recent Gallaudet protest brought a new concept into my consciousness; that of 'Deafhood'. David Eberwein made an excellent presentation recently at Gallaudet, I'm told. Genie Gertz briefly touched upon it in her vlog. Paddy Ladd appears to be its main champion. I'd like to know what other AD'ers think about the concept, and would like to know a little bit more.

Eyeth said:
The recent Gallaudet protest brought a new concept into my consciousness; that of 'Deafhood'. David Eberwein made an excellent presentation recently at Gallaudet, I'm told. Genie Gertz briefly touched upon it in her vlog. Paddy Ladd appears to be its main champion. I'd like to know what other AD'ers think about the concept, and would like to know a little bit more.

This term originated in the UK via the R.A.Deaf. What IS it, with these deaf people turning out label after label after label ? (I suppose the idea is it is harder to hit a moving target). There must be a spin factory somewhere in the world of about half a dozen deaf activists who sit aound a table and think, what stupid idea or term can we dream uo today, because (D)eaf and (d)eaf has died the death, audism is on the ropes, and 'Hearies' fell flatter than a pancake.... I got it (eureka and all that...), DEAFHOOD !

What does it mean ? (It doesn't matter, it'll keep us in the limelight a few months or years won't it ?), now, what, can we suggest next (It's tough in the deaf activist world). Deafinitely fed up with it I am :)

Jumping this thread Alive

Deafhood is becoming the hot topic among Deaf community.

Deafhood is actually the term that I am glad to FINALLY find to name my ideal Deaf community. Deafhood doesn't discriminate anybody-- their range of decibels, which school they go (oral, deaf, mainstream), or whether their deafness is a genetic or an accident. Deafhood is something that all D/deaf people share-- that they accept theirselves as Deaf people and use signs to communicate among each other.
ASL is the ideal language, yes, but for Deafhood to strive, we cannot ostracize those who use PSE/SEE because they are stuck from HEaring world and didn't have much of practice using ASL. We respect each other as long we CAN understand each other with signs where our goal is to improve the standards and acceptance of Deaf identity.

Passcifist, if you find Deaf culture so negative, then what are you doing hanging around here? Do you also look down on feminists and their various and sundry theories?
All they are doing is IDENTIFYING a social phenonomoen. I for one, find discussion about this a lot more interesting then the same old monotone about How the Ear Hears and the Latest Hearing Aid.

Sounds like a great name for a new neighborhood. Just sounds like political correctness (PC) to me like having a name for something so not to insult anyone with slur/bad name. My 2 cents worth of opinion here. :)

This is what deafhood looks like.

COA-Large.gif

And it needs to be fixed.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
COA-Large.gif

Richard

Just out of curiosity, what the heck is your problem with KG? Is this just blind hatred, or is there some sort of basis for it? I have friends in KG who are fantastic people, and I just don't quite understand why you're so against them.

deafdyke said:
Passcifist, if you find Deaf culture so negative, then what are you doing hanging around here? Do you also look down on feminists and their various and sundry theories?
All they are doing is IDENTIFYING a social phenonomoen. I for one, find discussion about this a lot more interesting then the same old monotone about How the Ear Hears and the Latest Hearing Aid.

I don't find the culture thing negative, just a lot of its advocates are, people like Ladd are a pain here, it's as if there is some compulsion to invent a new term every week, the idea presumably is so no-one can pin them down long enough to get a decent explanation or justification from them. I've no ideas on feminism being a bloke ! All men are ..... anyway to the ardent feminist, who am I to disagree ? I've no bra to burn :) We did discuss this in depth elsewhere where I thought it was mutually agreed whatever works is fine, be it sign language or oral means, your 'full box', as long as ALL options are tried to see what works no argument from me. If sign works fine, if oralism does that's fine too....I don't recall ever plugging the latest hearing aid here, why would I ? I can't use one except as decoration.

ayala920 said:
Just out of curiosity, what the heck is your problem with KG? Is this just blind hatred, or is there some sort of basis for it? I have friends in KG who are fantastic people, and I just don't quite understand why you're so against them.

I've seen KG do a lot of things to deaf leaders and they see the deaf community as their playground. It's high time something is done about these bunch of thugs who do things that are destructive to the deaf communities.

Richard

just a lot of its advocates are, people like Ladd are a pain here, it's as if there is some compulsion to invent a new term every week, the idea presumably is so no-one can pin them down long enough to get a decent explanation or justification from them. I've no ideas on feminism being a bloke !
Ah, now I see the problem. You're lumping all Deaf people into one group. You don't realize that while there are some extremely outspoken extremists, most Deaf people subscribe to all different schools of thought. What you and Nesmuth are doing is essentially assuming that just b/c there's ONE or two extremists, like for example big extreme manhater feminists, they represent the movement as a whole. I mean, your idear about feminism is just so off the mark....I know a ton of guys who are ardent feminists......it just means that they are anti-patriarchal gender roles, not that they are anti men or whatever.

Passivist said:
I've no ideas on feminism being a bloke ! All men are ..... anyway to the ardent feminist, who am I to disagree ? I've no bra to burn :)

Nobody burned any bras in the name of feminism. It is an urban legend from the late sixties.

deafdyke said:
Ah, now I see the problem. You're lumping all Deaf people into one group. You don't realize that while there are some extremely outspoken extremists, most Deaf people subscribe to all different schools of thought. What you and Nesmuth are doing is essentially assuming that just b/c there's ONE or two extremists, like for example big extreme manhater feminists, they represent the movement as a whole. I mean, your idear about feminism is just so off the mark....I know a ton of guys who are ardent feminists......it just means that they are anti-patriarchal gender roles, not that they are anti men or whatever.

I fear deafdyke you are being a little bit naughty here, and introducing a non-deaf subject in, it would be a shame if the feminist thing was introduced to cloud the waters. I've never if ever saw women as anything but my superior equal.....

me_punctured said:
Nobody burned any bras in the name of feminism. It is an urban legend from the late sixties.

Someone that knows their womens history! the reasoning behind the myth of bra burning is that draft cards were burned, and after the miss america pagent women threw their bras gurdles and things of the sort in trash cans. Its believed that people just associated the images together.

Deafhood sounds like a gang of deaf people who reject anyone who's not part of Deafhood.

Nesmuth said:
COA-Large.gif

Richard

What I dislike you is your ATTITUDE against deafies.... If you dislike deafies here.. You dont need to come in here and insult all of us...
SxyPorkie

SxyPorkie said:
What I dislike you is your ATTITUDE against deafies.... If you dislike deafies here.. You dont need to come in here and insult all of us...
SxyPorkie

he is doing all over AD espcailly in Technolgy Section and his radial web page we need to shoo and sweep him under the carpet

Passivist said:
I fear deafdyke you are being a little bit naughty here, and introducing a non-deaf subject in, it would be a shame if the feminist thing was introduced to cloud the waters. I've never if ever saw women as anything but my superior equal.....

Actually Passivist, you are the one that mentioned having "no bra to burn." As for you view of women, which is it? Are they your superior or your equal? Can't be one and the same.

Nesmuth said:
COA-Large.gif

Richard

You are {mod edit: word removed} for real... I had seen you in Deaf Expo selling things,,, From now and on i will warn all my deaf friends about you being negative against deafies and beg them not to buy things from you.....I would not buy anything from you at all,.,,
:nono: :booty: :booty:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back