CI Seminar

woo November! That's going to be quick for ya! :) I can't wait to get my second CI in a couple of weeks!
LOL yeah thats what I thought too....wow
There were 2 other people there who are getting CI shortly as well.
I was thinking more like December, but they said it can be as soon as November if all goes as planned. I will know more in 2 weeks when i go back for more tests and talk to the doctor some more.

Well, seen the Doc today.
They said YEP !!!!!
Got to go back for a few more tests (MRI/CAT) and whatever else needed.

Severe hearing loss with very poor word understanding. He asked how i use a telephone, I said I dont, I text.

Possible implant in November? Dont know for sure yet, He said one side first, But I am going to press the issue to get both done together.

That is great news ! November is not too far off , this will be a great Christmas gift for you , being able to hear.

Depending on the date, I may not hear for christmas as the doc said they activate about 3 weeks after surgery, and the swelling goes down.
They also said the surgery takes between 45 minutes to an hour, I will be in recovery about 2 hours and then sent home unless there is any complications.

also I was thinking, if he wont do both CI's at the same time, I am going to ask how soon after the first that I can get the second one done.

Good luck to you. Hope it goes well and that there are no complications. Update us how it goes.

Had my second visit today, doc will only do one at a time ( long list of excuses not to do both at same time ) but my surgery is set for Dec 10th.

you're on your way! I just got #2 done yesterday. now to rest up and let my right ear heal/recover.

Yep, I will get a call to go get my MRI/CAT scans soon, I got to go to my doctor to get a flu and meningitis shot as well...sucks but oh well. Surgery December 10th and activation possibly on the 31st? Still wont hear for Christmas. Hopefully not the noise of New Years....lol

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
tumblr_ma1034FAnc1qij1b6o1_500.gif

What part of the country are you in? Just curious if these meetings are local to me.... I could be a candidate in the future and would love to talk to some people who have first hand experience.

What is the speech discrimination scores like with a CI? Does that improve at all? Right now without the aids mine pretty much suck and I'm sure with the aids they still suck judging by how I'm doing these days- finding it harder to understand speech anymore. My nephew is hard to understand (kids' voices are a pain- I dread when his voice will change- men's voices in the very low/bass range are difficult).

I'm still on the fence but leaning to 'no' mainly because of the magnetic attachment.

My right ear has AZ Bio speech scores of 98%, single word, in noise, my left ear, same test, 100%....up from 27% pre CI. The single word scores are the harder tests since there is no reference in the context of a sentence. I score 100% in both in the AZ Bio sentence score (4 different voices, different talking speeds, nonsense sentences). This is with the AB Naida. I've yet to see anyone with another brand hit those scores though :D.

My right ear has AZ Bio speech scores of 98%, single word, in noise, my left ear, same test, 100%....up from 27% pre CI. The single word scores are the harder tests since there is no reference in the context of a sentence. I score 100% in both in the AZ Bio sentence score (4 different voices, different talking speeds, nonsense sentences). This is with the AB Naida. I've yet to see anyone with another brand hit those scores though :D.

The person I know has one CI (cochlear) and Ive seen her scores, they are 100% on all tests as you described, she has a printout of each group of tests with the scores.. some she missed 1 or 2, but the majority are 100%.
I have seen the tests from her pre-surgery, post- surgery and on-going practice/tests, improvements on each, after 2 months she was hitting 100%

went today to get all my shots, flu, meningitis...waiting on the call for MRI/CAT scans.

Back