Yet another ASL student *sigh*

JFaison

Reaction score
My name is Jennifer and I am a beginning ASL student. I'm here to make new friends. I believe we learn from every person we come in contact with every day, so it wouldn't be true if I said I don't hope to learn from the people I meet here, but that is not my primary goal of joining this social site. I get lots of instruction from my ASL teacher and my LLM (Language Lab Mentor) and lots of practice with my fellow students.
I don't dare say that I understand the Deaf community or their culture, but I hope for acceptance and patience while I try to get to a respectable level of understanding. I look forward to meeting each of you!

My name is Jennifer and I am a beginning ASL student. I'm here to make new friends. I believe we learn from every person we come in contact with every day, so it wouldn't be true if I said I don't hope to learn from the people I meet here, but that is not my primary goal of joining this social site. I get lots of instruction from my ASL teacher and my LLM (Language Lab Mentor) and lots of practice with my fellow students.
I don't dare say that I understand the Deaf community or their culture, but I hope for acceptance and patience while I try to get to a respectable level of understanding. I look forward to meeting each of you!

why the sigh in the title? Oh and welcome.

why the sigh in the title? Oh and welcome.

Admittedly, I read through an earlier thread from a new ASL student who seemed to get off on the wrong foot with a few seasoned veterans. I don't know much about the world I'm stepping into, but I do know, and can understand, that there is often tension between cultures. I respect that. I'm the new kid!
That, and I have a rather sarcastic sense of humor. I'm completely okay with being "yet another ASL student".
I suspect it must be frustrating dealing with so many new signers. Hopefully, I will be able to shake that stigma and just be a friend!
And thank you! Nice to meet you!

Thank you Kitten!
I almost said "They like me! They really like me!", but I decided that might be a bit 'putting the cart before the horse' of me, so I refrained. Sort of. :roll:

Welcome, Jennifer! I saw the title.. Not to worry about the whole thing about being "another ASL student." Not to worry and you will be fine. I grew up "Hearing" in a Deaf world (Hard of Hearing) and now I am profounded deaf. So, I know how they feel. Tired of repeating same thing over and over.

If you need something for class, I am sure there are numberous websites you can do research.

By the way, I thought you might be related.. hee hee. but I think not. My last name doesnt end with an "n". And you have an "i" instead of an "l." Wink. Just trying to have an ice breaker here. Hee hee.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Don't apologize for being a beginner. I showed up as a deaf center knowing absolutely nothing. Gotta start somewhere. Think of your journey as a great adventure, and bring your sense of humor. Most of all, enjoy! Welcome!

Last edited:
welcome! you do have to start some where, keep your sense of humor, it will be helpful. Also don't get upset if we say something you don't like... it is bound to happen. A few questions for you, what made you want to take ASL? tell us a little more about yourself.

WELCOME! I have been a student of ASL for several months now. My hearing finally pooped out this past year and I realized I was going to have to learn how to sign. My hubby has been learning with me because communication is difficult otherwise. AllDeaf has been a HUGE help for me with dealing with becoming Deaf. I'm sure you will fit right in. :) Again, WELCOME!

welcome! you do have to start some where, keep your sense of humor, it will be helpful. Also don't get upset if we say something you don't like... it is bound to happen. A few questions for you, what made you want to take ASL? tell us a little more about yourself.

Thanks! I can't promise I won't get my feeling hurt by words, but I can't promise I won't hurt any either. (I CAN, however, promise I won't hurt anyone's feelings on purpose...that's not my style.) My skin isn't thick enough to protect my feelings from everything, but I make a conscious effort to keep my mind open enough to pick up the slack. I do try to see both sides of every story and I believe the only validation a person needs for their feelings is their own. I might not agree and I might not understand, but that doesn't make it any less real or any less important.

Now, what made me want to take ASL? I'd love to have some fabulous and honorable story to tell here, but as cheesy as it sounds, I have just always been fascinated by the language and culture. (Since my 6th grade class room was next door to the deaf class and I learned how to ask what someone's name was and what bus they ride and the alphabet from the students in between classes.) I never forgot any of it and always thought about it, but having never been exposed to Deaf culture or people aside from that, it never occurred to me that learning ASL was even an option. Then one day I was searching for degree plans online and I saw a local university that offers one in ASL Interpretation and I had one of those blinding light moments of epiphany. I saw my path being rolled out in front of me and I have never felt more in line than ever before. So I jumped on the chance and here I am. New and all giddy excited and at the same time like a newborn with baby deer legs (all wobbly and shaky) scared that I will step on toes or fall flat on my face. Any time I feel weary about it though, I look at my 3 daughters (3, 4, & 5 years old) and see them signing with me...learning to sign with me, and it's all the inspiration I need to keep going. I believe we all have a purpose and I believe I have finally found the path to fulfilling mine!

A little more about me...um, I tend to talk a lot. Can you tell? :shock:

:wave: To everyone that has welcomed me in! Thank you!!!

Back