Earmolds make with wide open jaw

highlands

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had problem with my earmolds. I had earmolds made in so many different audilogists. I often have had feedback problems due to improrer earmolds, especially in my right ear. Someone who is an experienced audiologist suggested me to get earmold impression with wide open jaw.

What is your opinion and experiences about this problem ?

I have had problem with my earmolds. I had earmolds made in so many different audilogists. I often have had feedback problems due to improrer earmolds, especially in my right ear. Someone who is an experienced audiologist suggested me to get earmold impression with wide open jaw.

I've had a lot of problems with feedback and improper fittings until my audiologist started using a different material for the molds then it worked like magic.

what was that if you know ?

Honestly, I don't know. I used to get the standard pink molds until I complained about the blisters and the feedback so the audiologist switched up the materials and started making these softer semi clear molds. Because the material is softer and more flexible, they make the molds just the tiniest fraction bigger than usual so it would fit in your ear very snugly without being painful.

I understand . Thank you. Was your old earmolds of hard material?

I understand . Thank you. Was your old earmolds of hard material?

Not at all. They were standard molds. The ones i get now are a tad softer and more flexible. It's like they finally realize molds shrink a tiny bit when they age so to offset that, they make them just a fraction bigger.

Okay. I get the logic of your audiologist. I could ask the audilogist if they know of softer material? Thanks .

I think that the softer the mold, the better.

I have had audis in the past, however, tell me to "work my jaw", so it's both open and closed, so the mold can shift while hardening. Not sure if I believe that works or not.

It used to be that everyone would know it when I was happy, since my grin produced feedback noises. But since my new earmolds, they will just have to see me happy. :giggle:

It used to be that everyone would know it when I was happy, since my grin produced feedback noises. But since my new earmolds, they will just have to see me happy. :giggle:

:giggle:

Everyone calls my HAs my "love meter" when giving out hugs :giggle:

^^^ I like that! I feel self-conscious giving hugs with my HAs in, but I'm going to start calling the feedback noise the love meter, too. Thanks AlleyCat!

I've always had to move my jaw wide open several times while the earmold impression is being made. They said that if I don't, it won't fit properly and will pop out more easily.

I have TMJ and I am not able to wear an ear mold in my right ear for very long, it gt painful. I have an ear mold made from formed rubber for my right ear . When your jaw is open your ear canal close up a little so how will that help with making an ear mold? I was told to remove my ear molds when eating so my TMJ would not get worst.

^^^ I like that! I feel self-conscious giving hugs with my HAs in, but I'm going to start calling the feedback noise the love meter, too. Thanks AlleyCat!

LOL that`s cute!

Thanks! :)

Every time I give out hugs, it goes off. And, everyone says "hey, that's your love meter !!!" :giggle:

(On the rare moments that it DOESN'T give feedback at hug time, I get a look of amazement and they say "hey! you don't love me no more ??" ;) )

I have always been told to YAWN big and wiggle my mouth around while making an impression for an earmold.. I thought it was the norm and everyone did? *L*

I've never been asked to do that. Probably why my ear molds whistle when I smile. lol

Back