what if someone wake ups while surgery isn't over

highlands

Premium Member
Reaction score
scary but I learned from some sources that relatively few people don't get enough benefit from anesthesia and they wake up when surgery is still on and they may suffer from great pain :eek:

what do ya think of this

That's why the surgeon has a mallet in his back pocket!

That's why the surgeon has a mallet in his back pocket!

*off-topic*

:lol:

But Geeee..You must be watching too much cartoons, you're likely thinking of Bugs Bunny or Elmer Fudd or even Wile E. Coyote, however, Daffy Duck comes to mind as the one brandishing a mallet--but as a surgeon?? No wonderrrr why you're tuned to the cartoon channel--:lol: ( crazy, nutty world, but one you can 'laugh' at ;) )

Ok folks, back to the 'main' program...as for anyone waking up during surgery, the initial shock could create a sudden problem during the operation. Then again, person waking up would be too groggy to notice anything...and perhaps slumber off once the staff realizes what was happening. Although, I did have a choice of anesthesia or get a shot at the lower part of my spine, numbing the entire lower half, which would have enabled me to watch surgery done on the knee...however, after asking about complications or known possible complications, eventually chose having anesthesia.

~RR

While this may happen, you are statistically far more likely to die from complications related to anesthesia than you are to suffer from it being ineffective. That doesn't stop people from getting surgery, does it? It's all about risks versus benefits.

One of my friend told me that he experience his awaken during the surgery, but the surgeon hurried made him sleep back so he didn't feel any pain.. That's all he told me.

I did, but I didn't feel anything and couldn't see what they were doing either. Thanks God!

Yes I heard stories before but I never experienced myself before... *knock on the wood*

I can image it would get me bad nightmare when I wake up while surgery isn't over yet... :cold:

While this may happen, you are statistically far more likely to die from complications related to anesthesia than you are to suffer from it being ineffective. That doesn't stop people from getting surgery, does it? It's all about risks versus benefits.

True, I was aware of that as well...it came down to the choice of dying while 'in a deep sleep' or being paralyzed from the waist down. ;)

As for risks versus benefits, we all pretty much take risks daily and we'll benefit from it. :)

~RR

i was wake during surgery back in 2001 but i got tired and went to sleep naturally but i still i can feel what going on. i didn't feel pain at all.

I saw a movie about this subject recently. The kid was given anesthetic, and was told to count from 100 backwards. But, alas, he was still awake even though he could not speak or move. So, he was in a lot of pain while undergoing heart surgery.

On a happier note, the kid grows up to become a surgeon. ...Except he kills people deliberately by not administering drugs that put patients to sleep. So, patients in the movie die from "complications". It was a good thriller though..:)

The movie is fiction... But, it is true that patients can be awake during surgery. They call it bugga, I don't remember what the word is called. But fortunately, this doesn't happen often today.

I have eye surgery back 2000 and had open surgery which means that I will be awake while I have surgery to put implant in back of my eyeball. When they put me meds that make me so sleepy and no feeling pain at all. Then I woke up in middle of surgery, the plastic was cover my face except the eye where they operated on and I can feel my head moving and feeling the popping (maybe that is my eyeball) then I started to panicked only the thing is that I don't feel pain. The nurses was telling me to realx cuz my heart rate went up. Then they give me shot to go sleep. It was scary to me. Then I got out of hospital (on same day I had surgery)......few hours later, OMG the worst pain came when the numb goes away on my face and I felt like my eyeball going to pop out. It was worst surgery ever. I couldn't sleep at night and went see doctor in morning and he said that never happened him and I slapped him, of course. lol It wasn't successful because I had side effects that I will have for rest of my life. Can't take the implant out from what my doctors told me. I get headaches and swollen in my eye. I will never do open surgery ever again and don't you ever do that. Plus the funny thing I noticed I had scar on my forehead and my mom told me that was from my open surgery that had big ass needle to make my face damn numb. That's it.

i woke up. Remembering them strapping me down because I was trying to pull the vent tube out of my throat. But felt not pain

Next thing I know I'm in the recovery room.

I did ask if I woke up. the nurse said I did when they were putting the tube in. No incisions at that point.

I sure gave myself a horrible sore throat yanking on the tube. Thank goodness I was not cut into yet.

2 words - malpractice lawsuit :cool2:

Hubby woke up during his surgery and saw his body lying there cut open. Awful! The anesthesiologist said, "Are you awake", and then put him back under quick.

I have eye surgery back 2000 and had open surgery which means that I will be awake while I have surgery to put implant in back of my eyeball. When they put me meds that make me so sleepy and no feeling pain at all. Then I woke up in middle of surgery, the plastic was cover my face except the eye where they operated on and I can feel my head moving and feeling the popping (maybe that is my eyeball) then I started to panicked only the thing is that I don't feel pain. The nurses was telling me to realx cuz my heart rate went up. Then they give me shot to go sleep. It was scary to me. Then I got out of hospital (on same day I had surgery)......few hours later, OMG the worst pain came when the numb goes away on my face and I felt like my eyeball going to pop out. It was worst surgery ever. I couldn't sleep at night and went see doctor in morning and he said that never happened him and I slapped him, of course. lol It wasn't successful because I had side effects that I will have for rest of my life. Can't take the implant out from what my doctors told me. I get headaches and swollen in my eye. I will never do open surgery ever again and don't you ever do that. Plus the funny thing I noticed I had scar on my forehead and my mom told me that was from my open surgery that had big ass needle to make my face damn numb. That's it.

I am sorry to hear that .

Surgery is a hard thing . I got depressed after the surgery cuz mom was not allowed to take care of me and I had to stay in the room alone . My nose bled frequently and my lips got hurt cuz of having to breathe thru my mouth.

Back