Sign Language in the news - 11/15/12

LoveBlue

Reaction score
Got this from the school where I take ASL classes:

Subject: Sign Language in the news

Today on NPR's Talk of the Nation at 2:40 pm the topic of ASL and interpreting will be featured.

Replays are also available via the NPR website and podcasts!

The radio program will also be accessible via captioning at the following site:

NPR Labs - Live Caption Stream

[cid:image004.png@01CDC311.98524040]

NPR'S TALK OF THE NATION FEATUES SEGMENT ON SIGN LANGUAGE INTERPRETATION USING CAPTIONING FOR HEARING IMPAIRED.

Not long after Superstorm Sandy hit New York City, Mayor Michael Bloomberg addressed the public with an update of the extensive damage, and information about how to stay safe. Lydia Callis was by his side interpreting for the hearing impaired. Her gestures and facial expressions drew wide attention and even a spoof on Saturday Night Live.

This Thursday, November 15 at 2:40 pm ET, join Talk of the Nation as we interview interpreter Anna Witter-Merthiew for a conversation of why the whole body is important when doing sign language interpretation.

NPR will provide live captioning for the hearing impaired, and we hope to take calls via TTY or Video Relay from hearing impaired people to answer this question: "What do you look for in a sign language interpreter?"

To access the captioning, go to this website: http://captions.npr.org<http://captions.npr.org/>.

Captions are provided by the Integrated Captioning and Transcription Services (ICATS) Center, which is a partnership between Towson University and NPR Labs. NPR will have more information about ongoing radio captions in early 2013.

Anna Witter-Merthiew is the Assistant Director for the Distance Opportunities for Interpreter Training (DO IT) Center at the University of Northern Colorado.

Talk of the Nation is NPR's mid day news/talk show carried on nearly 400 stations nationwide. You can find a station in your area or find a station to access a live stream at Talk of the Nation : NPR

I'll definitely look into this when I'm not on here on my phone. Thanks for posting this!

Back