ASL vs. PSE/SEE

ASLstudent77

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
This is my first time using this site. :lol: I am a college student, and I am in a Deaf Culture class, and am also trying to ASL on my own. I came across some videos on Youtube of a woman signing some songs. I have heard that a person that knows purely ASL won't be able to understand what someone is saying if they are using PSE/SEE, is this true? Here's a link to a video from this woman, she calls her form of signing, ASL, but to me it looks more like PSE or SEE. Would someone that only knows ASL be able to understand what she is signing without know the song?
Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuMdjkFNEYQ

When is this assignment for class due?

Just curious why you want to know? For myself I would care less what form it's signed in as I know all three you mentioned.

Honestly think it's a homework question since its your first post or am I mistaken

Anyhow welcome to AD

this forum is pretty a lot of oral members. i dont know if it helps to your assigement. eh.

No interest in popular songs, but isn't that woman signing a friend of Berry? He hasn't been to AD for a while, but for some reason I associate her with him...

Thank everyone very much for the replies! No, this isn't actually an assignment, just something I wanted to know. :lol: I wanted to know, because so much of the time, when I heard people talking about learning ASL, they say that you can't just use PSE or SEE because a Deaf person that knows ASL won't be able to understand what you are saying. I take it this isn't true?

It's not actually for an assignment, just something I wanted to know. Thank you!
Do you have a Deaf instructor for your Deaf Culture class? What did he or she say about the topic?

No, my instructor is not Deaf, and she has been in the hospital for several weeks and didn't want to bother her with the question.

Just curious why you want to know? For myself I would care less what form it's signed in as I know all three you mentioned.

Honestly think it's a homework question since its your first post or am I mistaken

Anyhow welcome to AD
I wanted to know, not for an assignment, but just because it is a personal question that I have.

An ASL class with no substitute? And virtual? Never heard of this before.

Virtual teacher is in hospital for few weeks and there is no other sub teacher to help?

I know SEE is signed English (or signed exact English or something to that affect) but what is PSE? I've read about pigdin ASL (described as ASL signed in English word order) either in my book or one of my mom's old textbooks, but I haven't come across PSE.

And here's an @$$umption from me, I had assumed that even if a person uses ASL as their primary language, they would have been exposed to the others and perhaps, in the case of this video and other similar situations, would be able to figure it out via context?

Old term: PSE = Pidgin Signed English
New term: CASE = Conceptually Accurate Signed English

PSE is on a continuum between signed English and ASL, some more English, some more ASL.

Thank everyone very much for the replies! No, this isn't actually an assignment, just something I wanted to know. :lol: I wanted to know, because so much of the time, when I heard people talking about learning ASL, they say that you can't just use PSE or SEE because a Deaf person that knows ASL won't be able to understand what you are saying. I take it this isn't true?
Well, it's mostly true. I am an ASLer myself and I am able to sign/read SEE/PSE. In other words, I understand her singing. As for other ASLers who are not like me, no way they would understand what she's singing about because it's "too English" for them.

That's a valid question you asked. You will learn that every Deaf people are NOT the same. For example, my friend and I are Deaf. We are pure ASlers. Nevertheless, my friend has a poor reading skill unlike me, therefore he wouldn't be able to understand the point of her song.

So the answer to your question is that some ASLers including me understand what she's saying in PSE.

Old term: PSE = Pidgin Signed English
New term: CASE = Conceptually Accurate Signed English

PSE is on a continuum between signed English and ASL, some more English, some more ASL.
I believe that PSE is SEE without some words like to, is, am, were, ing, the, etc but it's in the right order.

Back