Your Will and Your Dog

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Our dogs are not just pets to our eyes. They belong to our family and are treated as members of the household. They are not properties or belongings, they are live breathing individuals who are capable of affection and receiving our love. For such reasons, people would want to make sure that their beloved pets are well taken care of just in case they go in passing earlier than their furry friends. You too can assure yourself of your pet’s welfare and here are some tips you can do.

First, you have to find someone whom you trust will take good care of your pet. This may be a relative, a close friend, a colleague or basically anyone. There is no prerequisite in choosing a person. You can basically choose anyone.

Sadly, dogs are not considered as family by the law. They are possessions that can be passed on to someone. Furthermore, make sure to have at least 3 persons as the caregivers of your pet just in case problems will arise with your first or second choice.

These people must also know and consented to the idea of adopting a dog into their lives. You wouldn’t want surprising your friends into becoming paw-rents and taking on a responsibility. Second, make sure that you will leave financial support both to your dog and the caregiver. You have to state in your will that the money you will leave will be used for the health and welfare of your pet.

If your pet dies before you do, the will is forfeited. This also holds true if the person you assigned is not willing to take care of your dog – he or she will not get the money.

A will does not have to be typewritten, you can write it on a piece of paper and sign it above your complete name. It is also important to write the date on the will as this will be the reference of your lawyer in processing all your requests.

http://politedog.com/your-will-and-your-dog/

That's a good point. If something happened to me, the last thing I would want is for my baby kitty to end up locked in a cage in a shelter somewhere. Makes me tear up just thinking about it... that and a lot of people allow their cats unsupervised outdoors. I'd worry she'd run out in front of a car or become a coyotes dinner.

Back