Cochlear America or MELD -EL?

carlosaj86

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I think is very stressful at the time to choose the cochlear brand. I been doing my research on both the Nucleus 6 of Cochlear America and the SONNET & RONDO of MED-EL.

The thing is that obviously the web site and the sales person going to tell you only the best things of their products but no the cons, and is difficult the make a difference of them.

MED-EL said that their electrode is the only array that stimulates the entire natural frequency range of the cochlea. Make the cord more profound than the Cochlear Americas. Is this make a difference? Do you hear more? Or is the processor, age, and how you make the effort the hear better thats counts?

Nucleus 6 is look a little smaller than the SONNET processor, (is what I see), and I feel that is better than the sonnet. This is why I’m writing in this forum to see your opinion and own experience.

Another thing, for both MELD-EL and Cochlear Americas recipients, do you upgrade your CI device every 5 years?

About me, 28 years old men with severe to profound loss, left ear is dead and I’m currently using a ReSound ENZO in my right ear.

Thanks for sharing!!!

What counts is how much effort you put into it. All 3 brands can allow a person to achieve good results, but there are so many variables to success that you can't say one has the advantage over the other. This is a pretty slow forum, I find there is a much better CI community on the respective Facebook groups. you'll probably get better responses there. Mention Med-El here and it's crickets.

Unfortunately you simply can't take them for a test drive, so you have to balance what the brands say, with feedback from real people and what you can quantify on your own.

I choose Med-El, and to warn you I've been labeled a Med-El "propagandist" here on this form as apparently posting factual information is a problem here. it is a very stressful selection process, what helped make my decision was feeling/touching each of the implants. Comparing sizes, comparing processors. So form factor was big in my selection, both the implant and the processors. I was also concerned about the amount of trauma the surgical process was. As them what they think about that. I personally don't care for the Rondo, it's big, I have short hair and I manage to knock it off all the time. I prefer my Opus in the 2 675 battery configuration. Very low profile.

Med-El is the only one that allows you to have proper MRIs, I just had one in December and the only reason I could do it was because I choose Med-El. So depending on your health needs this may or may not be a factor.

Best of luck in your decision, just be confident you in the decision you make and work hard to make sure you become a success!

Nucleus 6 is look a little smaller than the SONNET processor, (is what I see), and I feel that is better than the sonnet. This is why I’m writing in this forum to see your opinion and own experience.

You need to remember that you are not choosing a processor. Your external processor will change over the years as technology moves forward, but the internal implant will stay the same. Cochlear does put out nice processors, but they also have the least advanced internal implant. That isn't to say it doesn't work as well. All 3 major manufacturers deliver the potential for speech and sound, but Cochlear has the most limited programming parameters (which is why some audiologists favor them, simple and quick.. gets the patient in and out the door so they can be done with them.)

Do your research. You'll find all you need to know at www.cochlearimplanthelp.com, including a comparison chart that is kept up-to-date. You are already aware of the slick marketing, this is your chance to get the facts so you can understand where a manufacturer is being condescending with their sales pitch.

For example, Cochlear refers to their Input Dynamic Ratio (IDR) as "instantaneous input dynamic range." It's an attempt to confuse the reader into thinking there is something special about their IDR by describing it as moving up and down from loud to soft to capture the sound window. This is what IDR is... period. It's like trying to sell you the color "white" by saying it's "snow white." The sound window for IDR is established by the loudest sound and the range is established by the programmed setting. In Cochear's case, that maximum is 45 db. That means if the loudest sound in the room is 80 db, then Cochlear will capture anything within a 45 db window under 80 down to 35 db. Anything below 35 db you will not be able to hear. Cochlear further sells that limitation as a feature by attempting to dismiss anything beyond that as being background noise that you don't need to hear. They actually do a great job of selling limitations as features in more than just this manner. Their marketing department is truly jaw-dropping.

Meanwhile, Med El and AB recipients can push their IDR to an 80 db window and they tend to do exactly that after experiencing the limitations of lower settings because they quickly realize the benefits for music and overall more natural sound. With an 80 IDR, if the loudest sound at the moment is 80 db, then you can hear everything all the way down to 0 db. With the layers of sound you find in music, this makes a significant difference. That isn't to say you have to use an 80 IDR, but you have the option. That is what is key.. give yourself options rather than have your settings dictated. It's your hearing!

Neither....I'd go with Advanced Bionics. They have the best technology on the market and the best potential for success.

The MRI issue is a non-issue. First, there are usually other tests that can be done and if you NEED an MRI, you can have the magnet removed from the other brands. Getting an MRI with Med-El is no easy feat either...

My friend has AB Naida Q70 CI and had just had a MRI and the procedure to take out the magnet is very minor and her hearing afterwards wasn't effected at all.

(Not sure which implant she has but its 6 years old)

You need to remember that you are not choosing a processor. Your external processor will change over the years as technology moves forward, but the internal implant will stay the same. Cochlear does put out nice processors, but they also have the least advanced internal implant. That isn't to say it doesn't work as well. All 3 major manufacturers deliver the potential for speech and sound, but Cochlear has the most limited programming parameters (which is why some audiologists favor them, simple and quick.. gets the patient in and out the door so they can be done with them.)

Do your research. You'll find all you need to know at www.cochlearimplanthelp.com, including a comparison chart that is kept up-to-date. You are already aware of the slick marketing, this is your chance to get the facts so you can understand where a manufacturer is being condescending with their sales pitch.

For example, Cochlear refers to their Input Dynamic Ratio (IDR) as "instantaneous input dynamic range." It's an attempt to confuse the reader into thinking there is something special about their IDR by describing it as moving up and down from loud to soft to capture the sound window. This is what IDR is... period. It's like trying to sell you the color "white" by saying it's "snow white." The sound window for IDR is established by the loudest sound and the range is established by the programmed setting. In Cochear's case, that maximum is 45 db. That means if the loudest sound in the room is 80 db, then Cochlear will capture anything within a 45 db window under 80 down to 35 db. Anything below 35 db you will not be able to hear. Cochlear further sells that limitation as a feature by attempting to dismiss anything beyond that as being background noise that you don't need to hear. They actually do a great job of selling limitations as features in more than just this manner. Their marketing department is truly jaw-dropping.

Meanwhile, Med El and AB recipients can push their IDR to an 80 db window and they tend to do exactly that after experiencing the limitations of lower settings because they quickly realize the benefits for music and overall more natural sound. With an 80 IDR, if the loudest sound at the moment is 80 db, then you can hear everything all the way down to 0 db. With the layers of sound you find in music, this makes a significant difference. That isn't to say you have to use an 80 IDR, but you have the option. That is what is key.. give yourself options rather than have your settings dictated. It's your hearing!
I'll be at Cochlear for my initial mapping in a couple weeks, this is interesting and I will ask about IDR. BTW, read the chart at above link, your data is out of date. IDR us up to 75Db for Cochlear as stated by AB literature

TO the op,
Have you considered the superior technology,sign? (If you dont know and use it already)
its a sincere question.
It solves the plm of communication better. And is portible. Can be used in.more enviroments, needs no drills or surgery, doctors, or insurence, no batteries no wires....
Just some.thoughts to consider..

Last edited:
TO the op,
Have you considered the superior technology,sign? (If you dont know know and use it already)
its a sencere question.
It solves the plm of communication better. And is portible. Can be used in.more enviroments, needs no drills or surgery, doctors, or insurence, no batteries no wires....
Just some.thoughts to consider..
Also drastically reducing job opportunities and communication with hearing people in general. That includes friends, family, ones children etc. Give the choice to only exist in one world or two, I take being able to function in both Deaf and hearing world.

Also drastically reducing job opportunities and communication with hearing people in general. That includes friends, family, ones children etc. Give the choice to only exist in one world or two, I take being able to function in both Deaf and hearing world.

I dissagree conpletdly. Sign does not reduce communication with friends or famiLy, it didnt with me, on the contrary it bridged that gap, and alllowed communicatiin freely with no intermediate device needed, if your friends want to be a meaningfull part of your life, they could without much effort learn sign, same with family .mine did. others can too. Its not to much to ask compared with implant...i function just fine in both worlds no drills needed...
Your fear mongering.

Last edited:
I dissagree conpletdly. Sign does nof reduce communication with friends or famiLy, it didnt with me, on the contrary it bridged that gap, and alllowed communicatiin freely with no intermediate device needed, if your friends want to be a meaningfull part of your life, they could without much effort learn sign, same with famiky.mine did. others can too. Its not to much to ask compared with implant...i functiin just fine in both worlds no deills needed...
Your fear mongering.
No sir, I am speaking from personal experience. My 6 year old son struggles with his sign and being hearing we work together to bridge the communication gap. I'll do anything I need to in order to communicate with my children with the least amount of limits.
Refusing to use my CI with my hearing kids is no different from hearing parents refusing to sign with their Deaf children and insist they only communicate in the parents native language...
Think about that for a while before you make a stupid and ignorant comment.
If you do not have kids of your own then there is no way you can truly fathom this...

No sir, I am speaking from personal experience. My 6 year old son struggles with his sign and being hearing we work together to bridge the communication gap. I'll do anything I need to in order to communicate with my children with the least amount of limits.
Refusing to use my CI with my hearing kids is no different from hearing parents refusing to sign with their Deaf children and insist they only communicate in the parents native language...
Think about that for a while before you make a stupid and ignorant comment.
If you do not have kids of your own then there is no way you can truly fathom this...

And my experience differs. My 7year old signs just fine. you may find that stupid and ignorant all you want. my experience differs from yours. ive asked a sincere question to the op, he has asked about a product, ci, i have asked him if he has considered the superior technology...and you toss ignorant and stupid...
nice.
making an Informed choice means knowing all the alternatives, im offering one, and feel no need to attack your choice as stupid or ignorant..but im used to those words being tossed at me for using my language,
Meh

Last edited:
And my experience differs. My 7year old signs just fine. you may find that stupid and ignorant all you want. my experience differs from yours. ive asked a sencere question to the op, he has asked about a product, ci, i have asked him if he has considered the superior technology...and you toss ignorent and stupid...
nice.
First language is not a technology, so there is no superiority involved. Second, Cochlear Implants are a tool just like VP, hearing aids, even Interpreters.
Your question would be better worded along the lines of "OP, have you considered learning sign language?" And are you willing to undergo elective surgery and the involved risks to gain the use of an additional tool that will aid your ability to hear?

Southpaw language is a technology, its not only my opinion its the academic consesus
Google is your friend, take the time to educate yourself, hundreds of papers about this very topic is at your finger tips..
Here is what wiki has to say..
"Technology is the making, modification, usage, and knowledge of tools, machines, techniques, crafts, systems, methods of organization, in order to solve a problem, improve a preexisting solution to a problem, achieve a goal or perform a specific function."
So i think.to start here, we need to ask is language a tool? can it be modified? Does language solve a problem? Improve a pre existing solution to a problem? Achieve a goal or perform a spacific function?
Is ASL a language?
If yes then can it be modified? If yes then does ASL solve any problems? If yes then does ASL improve any pre existing solutions to the problem of Deaf communicating? If yes Does ASL achieve a spacific goal? If yes Does it perform a spacific function?
Yes sign is s technology, a superior one to ci, now again the op asked a question about a product, i asked him if he has considered an alternative to that product..

And my experience differs. My 7year old signs just fine. you may find that stupid and ignorant all you want. my experience differs from yours. ive asked a sencere question to the op, he has asked about a product, ci, i have asked him if he has considered the superior technology...and you toss ignorent and stupid...
nice.
making an Informed choice means knowing all the alternatives, im offering one, and feel no need to attack your choice as stupid or ignorent..but im used to those words being tossed at me for using my language,
Meh

What he's saying is why should anyone have to be the one to do all of the work while you sit there and wait for them to learn to communicate in ASL to you? Shouldn't you at least be trying to meet halfway? Put a hearing aid on. Get an implant. Speak. If none of those are realistic for you, learn to write in English properly. If I met you on any other non-Deaf forum, I'd immediately know you are either Deaf or non-English speaking (and frankly... 9 years old? no excuse for your lack of perfect written language skills.) I have completely deaf, non-speaking friends with flawless written English skills who never heard a world in their life that I'd never be able to tell they are Deaf on a forum if I didn't know them. What's your excuse?

If you live in the U.S., the language is spoken English. A Spanish-speaking person does not expect the entire world around them to learn Spanish just to communicate with them. They work to learn English if they want to expand beyond their little Spanish neighborhood and open opportunities. Spanish is arguably more useful than ASL with more people in the U.S. counting it as a first language than ASL users, and they still will seriously curtail their opportunities if they insist on speaking Spanish only in some misguided attempt to reject the reality of their situation. These people aren't perceived as intelligent people and the reality is, they aren't if they stubbornly refuse to take the steps necessary to further themselves.

When I found myself immersed in deaf experiences; Camp, residential school, university.... I learned sign to meet the people who signed halfway. It wasn't ASL, but it was enough signed English to communicate. Spanish speaking people speak English the best the can in the exact same manner. Are you meeting people halfway outside of your deaf world or are you doing the exact same thing most older generation Spanish immigrants do; staying in Spanish neighborhoods where they can continue to speak Spanish only and relying on their kids to do the interpreting when dealing with English-speaking scenarios?

As for your insistent contention that ASL is the superior technology (try arguing that definition outside of a Deaf forum and see how seriously they take you) .... let's see how well it works when we both go to a hearing nightclub and mingle. With the same qualifications, let's see which one of us gets the job we are applying for (at a company that isn't Deaf run, Deaf staffed, Deaf services oriented, and just plain overall Deaf... in other words, a normal, real-world company.) I won't be having a 3rd person at the interview having to interpret everything.

Finally; in the event that my implant fails in any of these scenarios.... I write and speak in perfect English. I am dependent on my implant to hear.. not to function. My implant improves my quality of life beyond mere functioning.

What he's saying is why should anyone have to be the one to do all of the work while you sit there and wait for them to learn to communicate in ASL to you? Shouldn't you at least be trying to meet halfway? Put a hearing aid on. Get an implant. Speak. If none of those are realistic for you, learn to write in English properly. If I met you on any other non-Deaf forum, I'd immediately know you are either Deaf or non-English speaking (and frankly... 9 years old? no excuse for your lack of perfect written language skills.) I have completely deaf, non-speaking friends with flawless written English skills who never heard a world in their life that I'd never be able to tell they are Deaf on a forum if I didn't know them. What's your excuse?

If you live in the U.S., the language is spoken English. A Spanish-speaking person does not expect the entire world around them to learn Spanish just to communicate with them. They work to learn English if they want to expand beyond their little Spanish neighborhood and open opportunities. Spanish is arguably more useful than ASL with more people in the U.S. counting it as a first language than ASL users, and they still will seriously curtail their opportunities if they insist on speaking Spanish only in some misguided attempt to reject the reality of their situation. These people aren't perceived as intelligent people and the reality is, they aren't if they stubbornly refuse to take the steps necessary to further themselves.

When I found myself immersed in deaf experiences; Camp, residential school, university.... I learned sign to meet the people who signed halfway. It wasn't ASL, but it was enough signed English to communicate. Spanish speaking people speak English the best the can in the exact same manner. Are you meeting people halfway outside of your deaf world or are you doing the exact same thing most older generation Spanish immigrants do; staying in Spanish neighborhoods where they can continue to speak Spanish only and relying on their kids to do the interpreting when dealing with English-speaking scenarios?

As for your insistent contention that ASL is the superior technology (try arguing that definition outside of a Deaf forum and see how seriously they take you) .... let's see how well it works when we both go to a hearing nightclub and mingle. With the same qualifications, let's see which one of us gets the job we are applying for (at a company that isn't Deaf run, Deaf staffed, Deaf services oriented, and just plain overall Deaf... in other words, a normal, real-world company.) I won't be having a 3rd person at the interview having to interpret everything.

Yes 9 years old. whats your plm with english reading comprehension? Where have i made any excuses? If all you can do is bitch about my poor english then what ever..
as for your half way nonsense thats what it is. nonsense. Ci isnt halfway....do you even know.common policy re babies, ci and sign? Thats the farthest thing from half way.. what you are arguing is simply to make deaf hearing...to speak, to hear..why? we can communicate perfect with the superior technology sign, all it takes is to be learnes. yet its really about making us hearie, ci is a technology of normalization...its purpose is to do just that...but us deaf have our sign that solves plm....hearie just refuse to accept it and instead are pushing ci....half way, actually is hearie accepting us as deaf, and those hearie who want to be a part of our life to learn sign, thats half way,not a.drll, not a hole in your hwad, not s computer in your brain...no...half way truly and really is sign...healther, cheaper, long lasting, can.be used in more envieoments, to be Deaf is a gift, not.an affliction, in need of a cure, the solution regarding communication has been solved with sign...for herie and deaf..sign is for everyone..to be deaf is a gift..not a curse.
I work.just fine.in.hearie world, have a carreer, they have learned sign via osmosis..sign is superior,
In everyway..,as for non.deaf forum taking me seriously, what ever...this is a deaf forum...
Sign will...(refer to my sig)

Last edited:
It may seem a bit "obtuse" to claim when one uses ENGLISH on this computer"somehow" one is "communicating" in sign language.

As to the "observation" "hearie can easily learn sign" in order to communicate with "voice off/only sign" using person" - only in "fantasy land"=computers!~

[

It may seem a bit "obtuse" to claim when one uses ENGLISH on this computer"somehow" one is "communicating" in sign language.
s!~
Who claims this?

As to the "observation" "hearie can easily learn sign" in order to communicate with "voice off/only sign" using person" - only in "fantasy land"=computers!~

its about how much one wants it, i guess, like anything worth itin life...fantasy...no, just a differenf opinion from you thats all..

Back