AT&T DSL Customers

I was right you moron. That Broadband port is for fiber optic WHICH YOU DONT HAVE! I guarantee you if you unplugged the phone line, internet/tv will stop working. DO IT

Well I guess ATT lie to you then :) Your 2Wire 3800 is still connected to phone line!

and look closely at your port, does the cable input look standard to you? Bwaaahahahahaha... geeze, go blow smoke somewhere else DSLer.

Optical fiber cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I believe AT&T technician use orange coding for Uverse high speed internet. They are installing it in the high voltage electricity which it go through the houses' phone box.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Nope, its white for residential uses, a single type fiber optic. The Orange Multi fiber optics are usually commercial or outdoors in underground installations where the traffic is routing everything for consumer use.

Uverse DOES use phone line and fiberoptic in limited area. New line or not, it is same old telephone wire. Get your fact straight. Those 2Wire is also used for Uverse! 2Wire 3600, 2Wire 3800, 2Wire/Pace 3801.. You may have Pace 5031, Motorola NVG 510, Motorola NVG 589

2Wire-3800HGV-B-rear.jpg
The green cable(7) connected to a telephone line.

That 2Wire 3800 right? It DON'T have wireless N, so AT&T had released some new version of these models which it have wireless N.

Wrong... Uverse does not use your standard phone lines, even the base Uverse uses the optics....we know ,had it, still ran completely new lines in our other house...nothing you have will work on those lines unless you have the correct connections.

The lines to most houses with Uverse are copper, the lines coming into the main box that feeds all the houses in the area are fiber optic. Because they are copper the furthest recommended transmission distance from the main to a house is 3,000 ft. over that distance they have to give you a bonded pair(run two lines into the house).

We have had Uverse since 6/25/14, and have had many problems with it. Speed, buffering and unreliable pricing is the main problem. Our internet speed is supposed to be 18mbps, however, since we are 3,300 ft from the box, we were given a bonded pair that gave us 21mbps on day one, then it started to fluctuate going as low as 6mbps. I have had the tech out to see what's going on 6 times and each time he would fix it and it would work fine only to slow down one more. This has been an ongoing issue. Buffering: because of the speed issues both the computer and TV experience buffering issues, The wireless remote was largely useless because it would give a good picture for maybe 30 seconds and then buffer for 4 minutes, the computer would buffer whenever you were watching a video, like something on Youtube. Pricing: my contract states that my price for telephone(unlimited), internet (18mbps) and TV(U300 package) is supposed to be $124 per month for 2 years. First month it was $194.93 ($49 installation fee), second month was $169.56, third month $232.47. When calling AT & T to explain, they told me the varying pricing was because our telephone service only gave us 200 minutes a month and anything over was charged 7 cents per minute. We finally got this ironed out, but I have informed them that even though they think I'm under contract for two years, I consider myself basically a free agent do to numerous breaches of the contract on their part and am willing to go to court to see who is right. Retention is supposed to call me on Monday!

I'm also supposed to get $425 in gift cards for signing up for Uverse and have yet to receive any of them and that is the big breach on their part as it is written on the contract as are all other areas that I claim have been breached. The funny part is AT &T have no record of them and want me to send in the contract so they can see it! I told them I watched their representative tear off at least two pages for their records and must have it, so find it because if they can't I will have to charge them to send in a copy because just like them my time is valuable!

The lines to most houses with Uverse are copper, the lines coming into the main box that feeds all the houses in the area are fiber optic. Because they are copper the furthest recommended transmission distance from the main to a house is 3,000 ft. over that distance they have to give you a bonded pair(run two lines into the house).

We have had Uverse since 6/25/14, and have had many problems with it. Speed, buffering and unreliable pricing is the main problem. Our internet speed is supposed to be 18mbps, however, since we are 3,300 ft from the box, we were given a bonded pair that gave us 21mbps on day one, then it started to fluctuate going as low as 6mbps. I have had the tech out to see what's going on 6 times and each time he would fix it and it would work fine only to slow down one more. This has been an ongoing issue. Buffering: because of the speed issues both the computer and TV experience buffering issues, The wireless remote was largely useless because it would give a good picture for maybe 30 seconds and then buffer for 4 minutes, the computer would buffer whenever you were watching a video, like something on Youtube. Pricing: my contract states that my price for telephone(unlimited), internet (18mbps) and TV(U300 package) is supposed to be $124 per month for 2 years. First month it was $194.93 ($49 installation fee), second month was $169.56, third month $232.47. When calling AT & T to explain, they told me the varying pricing was because our telephone service only gave us 200 minutes a month and anything over was charged 7 cents per minute. We finally got this ironed out, but I have informed them that even though they think I'm under contract for two years, I consider myself basically a free agent do to numerous breaches of the contract on their part and am willing to go to court to see who is right. Retention is supposed to call me on Monday!

I'm also supposed to get $425 in gift cards for signing up for Uverse and have yet to receive any of them and that is the big breach on their part as it is written on the contract as are all other areas that I claim have been breached. The funny part is AT &T have no record of them and want me to send in the contract so they can see it! I told them I watched their representative tear off at least two pages for their records and must have it, so find it because if they can't I will have to charge them to send in a copy because just like them my time is valuable!
Likewise, Uverse is new, there is going to be glitches until all ironed out. We haven't had any issues other than our server or whatever its called (pictures above) went out and had to be replaced, other than that we have had no issues so far luckily. And because service is new, my lines are only 50 to 75 feet from the house to connections. I did look over the wiring and they are fiber optic ( stamped on the wiring) so it is not copper as most here try to assume that they know everything, and is exactly as we were told.
Price? wow that's freaking high, are you using strictly cell phones for that type of price? We use strictly 4 cell phones/internet and 6 tv/boxes, we run Netflix through the Wii and we are under $200 with unlimited use/data so not sure why you are running high or fluctuating, we have the same bill every month.

My friend and I live in same city, he uses AT&T U-Verse and I use cable.

I have cable and is dedicated 100% to internet use only. I don't watch TV with cable, I have an antenna (free subscription) and Dish Network. I love Dish Network! The cable is hooked to WI-FI router for my computer, iPads, videophone, etc. I just checked the internet speed and I get 62 Mbps download speed.

My friend's U-Verse, is hooked up to two televisions, videophone, WI-FI, computers, etc and his speed is like 8-12 Mbps download speed. I can't imagine how much data has to be transmitted through telephone copper wires. I mean, he has too many devices and they are relying on a single, wimpy copper wires??

Coaxial cable can handle wider bandwidth of data transmission than single copper wires. Fiber optics aren't available in my area, that is why I am using cable. I'm aware that fiber optics are much better in data transmission than cable. 62 Mbps on a coaxial cable, I'm truly happy with that.

I still don't get when people are ranting about how wonderful U-Verse is, but U-Verse is basically a marketing idea for DSL lines. AT&T is probably trying to survive in rapidly changing world and have to continue using the traditional copper lines. I've read many horror stories about U-Verse (you can google them) and many people aren't too happy with it.

So, it's better to go with either cable or fiber optics. I think fiber optics are limited in major cities, and I believe that it is only offered by Verizon. If Verizon is in my area, I'd go with fiber optics.

From what I understand is that U-Verse is using fiber optics as well, but they are laid down in the ground along the major street in the city. Copper wires are still used between the major street and houses. When the data moves from fiber optics to copper wires, it will be slowed down. In my opinion, it's best to go with cable or 100% fiber optics. Many recent-built houses comes with fiber optics, installed by Verizon.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Likewise, Uverse is new, there is going to be glitches until all ironed out. We haven't had any issues other than our server or whatever its called (pictures above) went out and had to be replaced, other than that we have had no issues so far luckily. And because service is new, my lines are only 50 to 75 feet from the house to connections. I did look over the wiring and they are fiber optic ( stamped on the wiring) so it is not copper as most here try to assume that they know everything, and is exactly as we were told.
Price? wow that's freaking high, are you using strictly cell phones for that type of price? We use strictly 4 cell phones/internet and 6 tv/boxes, we run Netflix through the Wii and we are under $200 with unlimited use/data so not sure why you are running high or fluctuating, we have the same bill every month.

Yes, I know I'm getting hosed and that is why I'm going after them. I have two friends who live less than 2 miles from me and have the same service with more 2 more TV receivers than I do and pay less than I do. AT & T has no real pay structure for their customers and that is why you can have next door neighbors paying two different prices for the same service. In our area we only have fiver optic coming to the main boxes and then it is sent over shielded copper wires to the houses. The drop to the house can only be 75 feet or less. My wiring says it is compatible with fiber optic on the shielding.

Yawn, Thanks. Look like you waste your time doing my homework. I already figured it out why your service continue to work without a phone line. Your Uverse setup is using HomePNA. Homepna combine VDSL signal(outside gray box) and tv signal(to feed cable boxes) together. Your 2Wire 3800 dont need that phone line because it is using HomePNA. You can unplug it if you want it. Unfortunately, your line is NOT fiber optic PERIOD. Its quite funny that you know more about Uverse. Ha, no you don't. Hey, Im going to ask you a simple question. What kind of DSL technologies that Att Uverse use?

I used to be Att DSL customer and they force me to switch to Uverse. I hate it and I cannot go back to DSL. Att is killing DSL where Uverse is available. They gave me chunky 2Wire 3600 gateway modem that is almost as a thick book! I left Att for TWC and never look back

Beware of Comcast - they are equally bad or worse.

Yawn, Thanks. Look like you waste your time doing my homework. I already figured it out why your service continue to work without a phone line. Your Uverse setup is using HomePNA. Homepna combine VDSL signal(outside gray box) and tv signal(to feed cable boxes) together. Your 2Wire 3800 dont need that phone line because it is using HomePNA. You can unplug it if you want it. Unfortunately, your line is NOT fiber optic PERIOD. Its quite funny that you know more about Uverse. Ha, no you don't. Hey, Im going to ask you a simple question. What kind of DSL technologies that Att Uverse use?

Didn't you see that squirrel running the lines? Its very interesting to see.
love your post by the way, if you don't know the difference between fiberoptics and coaxial because I do, even a 4 year old could tell you the difference. Im done here, you carry on your BS. You got a low grade service ...upgrade and know the differences quit being a cheap ass and whining about it.

I am curious do you experience VRS over AT&T Uverse internet?

Back