Why are there so few deaf hang outs online?

cayisforgetul

Reaction score
I've always wondered about this. I guess people can find places IRL to hang out, but I just thought with how common webcams are nowadays, how strange it is that I haven't found any deaf hang outs. I know there's a tinychat room but every time I pop in it's empty. I thought stickam would have some but I guess not.

Is it because lots of people come in and harass/hack/etc, or because people prefer deaf meets? Anyone know? Does Google+ have one now?:hmm: I think I remember someone mentioning that to me...hmmm

I think it's just that deaf people have other interests than being deaf all the time. I've popped into ASL chat a couple of times. No one was there. I have ran into a few deaf people on other forums/games though. The Internet itself is basically a deaf community (except for video). No one can hear anyone online. They just read all day and imagine what the other person sounds like. It's not that there isn't enough interests or that people don't want it. It's more about people don't want to push it b/c they are content. You have email, blogs, an an online community, forums for ANYTHING imaginable as far as communications goes (that's what the Internet was made for) it satifies a lot of deaf people (not saying that it couldn't be made better but besides video and audio, I would say that the Internet is deaf friendly). That's just my opinion. I'm still hearing so I could be totally off on the whole thing.

I've always wondered about this. I guess people can find places IRL to hang out, but I just thought with how common webcams are nowadays, how strange it is that I haven't found any deaf hang outs. I know there's a tinychat room but every time I pop in it's empty. I thought stickam would have some but I guess not.

Is it because lots of people come in and harass/hack/etc, or because people prefer deaf meets? Anyone know? Does Google+ have one now?:hmm: I think I remember someone mentioning that to me...hmmm

If you mean a ASL chat room....it is not possible since ASL can neither be written nor spoken.
With the use of VP, that would not equal a chat room although it is possible to have four people on-screen for a VP.

Ummm,:shock: I can assure you that "we" don't do this all day!

I was refering to people online in general (Both hearing and deaf). Everyone's deaf online. You don't hear a good 70-80% of the things you do online is all I was saying.

I haven't really looked into this, but I would think the problem is more technological. Deaf are very spread out and in some parts of the country/world you don't get the same video feed or the servers are older, not the same speed for everyone. As far as chat rooms, I would imagine there are a lot of them as they have been around for years.

Group video through phone might be possible, but you would have to use an Ipad type device as your phone would be too small. A major provider like Sorenson could do this, but everyone would need cable internet, I think.

Socially, there are places where a lot of deaf hang out like Allston/Brighton bars in Boston. I'm sure other cities have major hangouts.

I don't need a chat room when we have email, Facebook, Skype and vp.... And places like this forum, we meet people in these places and become friends.. Chat rooms were big in the early 2000's but not so much now.

What? My feeble mind cannot comprehend what's going on the internet! :laugh2:

I have a few deaf hangouts...in real life!

I was thinking that too

I have been looking for a deaf video chat room for the longest time and i haven ot found one yet. I think someone should start one up!

If you're looking for actual video chatrooms, G+ has a great hangout feature built in. But for an actual COMMUNITY of people who actively hang out? That's a good one. Im in the works to host regular deaf hangouts on G+ soon with my Deaf Dad! Would this be something you're interested in?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Honestly, I'm not sure how that would work ... Having 2 or 3 people in a chat room is one thing. Trying to create a video chat room supporting 10+ people would take a massive amount of bandwidth both to view and host. It would be very expensive and only really workable for those with commerical type ultra-high-speed internet connections

It would be much better if you can go out in the real world where there is Deaf Community in your area. Going on ASL video chat is not the way to go.

I miss going to the Deaf community as I live on the First Nation Reserve in Canada. I tried to go up to the big city for Christmas but often there were not much Deaf people up north. Here I can tried to explain about my deafness and the Deaf Culture and why ASL is a must for us to communicate in real life instead of on-line.

There are some Deaf people who can put You-tube on the post to explain what they want to discuss about. I just love watching their signs and understanding what they are saying. That is all I have to say. :)

Back