My Creative Outlet: Writing!

AquaBlue

Reaction score
I am always very encouraged every time I enter the Barnes & Nobles stores. I always give the current best sellers a quick read before I exit. I have noticed that more than half of those successful books are crafted by first timers. People who have submitted their very first manuscripts and have found gold in their work. I labor everyday in improving my skills in the writing craft. All in the hopes to some day send my own (initial) manuscript into the hands of eager publishers.

I feel that by this time next year I will be ready to send my own manuscript. Before that day comes I will take an online course for editors. This will happen by the end of autumn. I just want to be certain that my manuscript is as good as I can make it. It must be my very best for I do not want (of course) to disappoint, and also because it will have my name on it.

I have so many creative ideas that I am always scribbling them down on ever surface I can find. If there is something I do not lack is creativity and that is a big plus. My brain is just wired that way. I just have to learn to express them into words; to my satisfaction. So daily I work; daily I progress; daily I get closer to my goal. I foresee that my first submission will likely be an anthology instead of a full length novel. It's still too early to say really.

Structuring clean, crisp, and effective sentences is not such an easy task as one might think. Learning to write correctly is by far the hardest task I have ever tried to master. But I love words! Each synonymous list has, word for word, it's own subtle shade of meaning that makes it quite unique to it's close cousin. Words are like the paint on a painter's palette. The right color (word) in the right place is key to good writing (among other things of course).

I have three words I tell myself everyday, the 3-P words: Persistence, Patience and Practice. I just have to keep on believing in myself and that I WILL accomplish my goal(s). For I do not THINK I will succeed, I KNOW I will. Quitting is not an option. Even obtaining a high pile of rejections slips on my desk will not (never!) deter me from my focus, my goal to get published. And you carve that deeply into granite!

Note: Once upon a time, while I was riding the city bus, I saw a poster for a state wide writing contest. The criteria was to write an x number of words for a “true” situation that had occurred to me in relation to Florida's transit system. After reaching my destination (the public library) I wrote down some gibberish for the contest. I submit it via e-mail and a month later I got a reply telling me that I had to send in an image of a city bus with me in the picture. I disregarded it thinking that I wasn't going to win. I didn't even edit the thing I sent. So in my mind my words did not have a chance in hell to even be considered. I wrote it for kicks.

The day came when the winners were announced. (Remember this is a state wide contest.) A librarian interrupted me and told me to read the list of winning names announced online. (I had told a few librarians (friends) that I had submitted a story to the contest officials soon after my submission.)) Well I read the listed names from a long column of submitters, it was a state wide contest so you can imagine. Then I saw it, the unthinkable! I was one of four who were Honorably Mentioned! I almost fell off my seat. Then I kicked myself right after I learned of the outcome. What if I had actually cleaned-up (edited) the submission and send in with an attached photo? Maybe, just maybe...I will never know.

That one experience told me that maybe I should give the craft of writing a go. And so here I am doing the deed. Life is funny.

PS. The bus story I wrote was fictitious. ;-)

Wish me luck! Thanks for reading....
_

Thats awesome! I too am a writer. I write fantasy with erotica in it sometimes. Other times its just a fantasy novel for my sister and her friends. I am gonna be a technical writer or editor. My dream is to work for wizards of the coast. But another publishing house is fine too. I am done with one of my manuscripts getting it ready to send it out. Well good luck!

Thats awesome! I too am a writer. I write fantasy with erotica in it sometimes. Other times its just a fantasy novel for my sister and her friends. I am gonna be a technical writer or editor. My dream is to work for wizards of the coast. But another publishing house is fine too. I am done with one of my manuscripts getting it ready to send it out. Well good luck!

My all-time favorite fantasy series is The Dark Tower by Stephen King. It's just spectacular! The movie version is in the works too!! I am now on my second reading of the series. It's King's masterpiece! Check it out if you haven't already.

I have read it, and it is great! Have you read R.A. Salvatore. He is good too, and Ed Greenwood. Shannon k butcher and her husband! :)

I am always very encouraged every time I enter the Barnes & Nobles stores. I always give the current best sellers a quick read before I exit. I have noticed that more than half of those successful books are crafted by first timers. People who have submitted their very first manuscripts and have found gold in their work. I labor everyday in improving my skills in the writing craft. All in the hopes to some day send my own (initial) manuscript into the hands of eager publishers.

I feel that by this time next year I will be ready to send my own manuscript. Before that day comes I will take an online course for editors. This will happen by the end of autumn. I just want to be certain that my manuscript is as good as I can make it. It must be my very best for I do not want (of course) to disappoint, and also because it will have my name on it.

I have so many creative ideas that I am always scribbling them down on ever surface I can find. If there is something I do not lack is creativity and that is a big plus. My brain is just wired that way. I just have to learn to express them into words; to my satisfaction. So daily I work; daily I progress; daily I get closer to my goal. I foresee that my first submission will likely be an anthology instead of a full length novel. It's still too early to say really.

Structuring clean, crisp, and effective sentences is not such an easy task as one might think. Learning to write correctly is by far the hardest task I have ever tried to master. But I love words! Each synonymous list has, word for word, it's own subtle shade of meaning that makes it quite unique to it's close cousin. Words are like the paint on a painter's palette. The right color (word) in the right place is key to good writing (among other things of course).

I have three words I tell myself everyday, the 3-P words: Persistence, Patience and Practice. I just have to keep on believing in myself and that I WILL accomplish my goal(s). For I do not THINK I will succeed, I KNOW I will. Quitting is not an option. Even obtaining a high pile of rejections slips on my desk will not (never!) deter me from my focus, my goal to get published. And you carve that deeply into granite!

Note: Once upon a time, while I was riding the city bus, I saw a poster for a state wide writing contest. The criteria was to write an x number of words for a “true” situation that had occurred to me in relation to Florida's transit system. After reaching my destination (the public library) I wrote down some gibberish for the contest. I submit it via e-mail and a month later I got a reply telling me that I had to send in an image of a city bus with me in the picture. I disregarded it thinking that I wasn't going to win. I didn't even edit the thing I sent. So in my mind my words did not have a chance in hell to even be considered. I wrote it for kicks.

The day came when the winners were announced. (Remember this is a state wide contest.) A librarian interrupted me and told me to read the list of winning names announced online. (I had told a few librarians (friends) that I had submitted a story to the contest officials soon after my submission.)) Well I read the listed names from a long column of submitters, it was a state wide contest so you can imagine. Then I saw it, the unthinkable! I was one of four who were Honorably Mentioned! I almost fell off my seat. Then I kicked myself right after I learned of the outcome. What if I had actually cleaned-up (edited) the submission and send in with an attached photo? Maybe, just maybe...I will never know.

That one experience told me that maybe I should give the craft of writing a go. And so here I am doing the deed. Life is funny.

PS. The bus story I wrote was fictitious. ;-)

Wish me luck! Thanks for reading....
_

My mate and I do web copy writing for a living, I find it especially helpful since I lost my hearing. I am working on a book about unsolved child murders as well as another e-book for Pagans/Wiccans. I hope that my book on unsolved child murders will help solve several of them...although I am not getting much help from the cops and other authorities. You inspire me. I find being Deaf not so bad. :ty:

do you use Writers &Artist year book...it covers all english speaking countries as to where you should publish.Got every genre and it as thick as the bible

Well done Aquablue on pursuing an interest to become a published deaf author. It's hard work as it took me 8 years from doing two Creative Writing coures (attaining qualifications) to being a published deaf author. As long as you have belief in your writing ability and have a way with words, that's half the job done! Keep going and don't give up!

Last edited:
My apology if Aquablue is NOT deaf as I just assumed so from what I read. All wannabe writers deserve credit, especially those who have a disability to overcome as being a published author is achievable with hard work!

Back