Hate Crimes in Seattle, Washington :(

MetroGuy03

Reaction score
Two charged in previously unreported Capitol Hill Gay-bashing
Men threaten to kill two people, use anti-Gay slurs

by Robert Raketty - SGN Staff Writer

Two people told police that their lives were threatened and were called anti-Gay slurs by two men during the early morning hours of Saturday, September 22, during a Gay-bashing on Capitol Hill in Seattle. The King County Prosecutor's office filed charges in the case this week against Matthew Henry Oly, a 26 year-old white male, and Bryan Michael Krieger, a 27 year-old white male, in connection with the incident.

According to court documents filed in King County Superior Court, Marcus E. Wilson, a 34 year-old white male, was walking near Value Village when he saw Oly asking people for money. Oly approached him and asked for change and Wilson declined to give him any. At that point, Oly is accused of calling Wilson a "faggot." Wilson became upset and told Oly he was a "faggot" and that this was "faggot hill," referring to Capitol Hill. Wilson began to walk away from Oly, but Oly continued to follow him and threatened to kill him because he was a "faggot." Krieger, who was riding a bicycle, then joined Oly and also began to threaten to kill him because he was a "faggot." Wilson stated that he was in fear for his life and believed that the two men would carry out their threats to harm him.

Victoria Liss, a 24 year-old white female, had plans to meet up with Wilson in the area of 11th Avenue and E. Pike and called Wilson to confirm this. She stated Wilson answered his cellular phone in a "panic" and said he was being "Gay-bashed." She quickly responded to the scene to assist Wilson. She said she witnessed two men circling Wilson and threatening to kill him. When Liss made eye contact with Krieger, he began to call her and Wilson "Pony Fags" because both Liss and Wilson work at Pony, a Gay bar. She said she had met Krieger on September 19 at the Chapel bar and knew him as Bryan. When Liss told the men that she was about to call 911, the men began to encircle her and Wilson and continued to threaten the both of them. Liss said Krieger even attempted to assault her with his bicycle.

Christopher Lynch, a 23 year-old white male, was walking nearby when he observed and heard both men calling Liss and Wilson "fags" and threatening to kill them. Lynch said he confronted the men and they left immediately. During questioning by police, Oly and Krieger said that Lynch approached the incident and began to call Liss "ugly." A police report noted that Lynch's description was originally given to 911 operators by one of the victims as one of the suspects involved in the incident. However, Lynch's role remains unclear as of press time.

Responding to a 911 call, uniformed officers came to the area at about 3:57 a.m. and were able to locate two men matching the description of the suspects in the vicinity of 10th and Seneca. Krieger and Oly admitted to having been involved in the confrontation but offered a different version of events to police.

Krieger claims that he saw a guy that he knows from a bar in the area and attempted to talk to him. Krieger stated Wilson acted like he did not know him and that he started to yell at him. A female with Wilson, began to state that she was about to call the police. Oly told officers the he was standing there when this incident was transpiring. Krieger said he was trying to calm Wilson down and avoid the police being called. Oly stated Lynch approached the incident and began to call Liss "ugly," which is when Liss became enraged and started to call police. At that point, Krieger and Oly said they walked away.

Police took Wilson, Liss and Lynch to the location where they had stopped Krieger and Oly. All three positively identified the two men, who were later booked into King County Jail. During a search of Oly's pants pockets, officers discovered an amount of suspected cocaine, marijuana and Percocet. The suspected cocaine tested positive for the presence of cocaine during a field test.

Oly and Krieger were later charged with Felony Harassment. Oly has also been charged with Violation of the Uniform Controlled Substances Act.

The latest Gay-bashing is the seventh in Seattle to be reported by the Seattle Gay News in four months.

RECAP OF PREVIOUS BASHINGS
Jason Mancillas suffered lacerations and bruises to his face and body, a black eye and a wound to his head after being brutally beaten by a group of as many as six men during the early morning hours of Sunday, June 10. He was walking home with his boyfriend from a Capitol Hill Gay bar when the attack occurred. Before the attack began, he heard a stranger behind him say, "I'm sick of these fucking faggots." The men remain at large.

On June 20, Michael Volkman, Alberto Medrano and Troy Maravilla, were threatened by two men identified as Brian Kenneth Bell, 21-years-old, and Benjamin Thomas-Winfred Davis, 22, while waiting in the Jack-in-the-Box drive-thru at 100 Broadway Ave. E. on Capitol Hill. Bell, while brandishing a knife, asked, "Are you guys Queer? Do you suck dick?" ?At 1:37 a.m. on Sunday, July 22, Michael Sullivan was standing in front of a club in the 150 block of S. Washington St. in Pioneer Square with his friend Amanda Hubbert. A person, who has never been identified, punched Sullivan in the back of the head. Moments later, a male unknown to the victim or his friend, later identified as Monny (a.k.a. Monnypanareay) Sue, approached Sullivan and asked him "Are you Gay?" After Sullivan replied, "Yes," he was immediately punched in the face. Sullivan fell to the ground unconscious.

Just before midnight on Saturday, August 4, a Gay-bashing occurred in the 2200 block of First Avenue in Belltown that left Michael Wrenn with a bloody nose and cuts to his chin and forearm. He also developed two black eyes and bruises on his body as a result of the violence. His friend, Aaron Hudy, who was standing beside Wrenn at the time of the Gay-bashing also suffered a bruise on his arm. The male attacker asked the men, "What, are you guys fags?" before beginning his attack.

Christopher Petty was standing in line inside the Shell Food Mart at 1500 Broadway on Capitol Hill on Sunday, August 12, at about 2:05 a.m. He was wearing a shirt with the word "Queer," printed on the front and back. The man in front of him, later identified in court documents as Cerril Deonvandaz Turner, a 33-year-old African American man, announced in a loud voice, "I hate fucking faggots." The suspect then turned to Petty and asked, "Are you a fucking faggot?" Turner also spit on Petty and his friend and, then, threw a punch at Petty. The punch only grazed Petty but hit his friend.

Twenty-six year-old Seattle resident Andrew Geske was walking home with a male friend at about 2:30 a.m. on Monday, September 3, when he was attacked by the driver of a black BMW and later dragged several blocks by the speeding BMW as a passenger held his arm. Despite the vicious nature of the crime, Geske was fortunate to suffer only sprained fingers and scrapes on his back, elbows, and knee.

SGN Page 3

More hate crimes? I guess those are the newcomers from other states who are causing the crime rate to spike. :\

That hate crimes make me very angry for few reasons.

1. Seattle, Washington supposed to be safe place for homosexuals to go public without any harressment/assaults. Now it is seen like Seattle is becoming unsafe for homosexuals.

2. If these people who hate gays so much... Why do they have to hurt gays for? They didn't do anything to them. KNOCK IT OFF! PLEASE LEAVE GAYS ALONE!!!

3. Gay bashers MUST STAY OUT OF SEATTLE, WASHINGTON PERIOD!

4. While I am supporting Seattle rapidly growth, now I am not sure if I should continue support that since some of newcomers are seen like they have an issues with gays and transgenders lately... Some of them attacked them because they don't agree with their lifestyle. That pisses me off.

5. I believe that religious organizations are also involved this incidents and they do encourage that kind of behaviors. They considered their religion beliefs as loving and accepting people... I don't see that from them... Look at what they have been done to homosexuals and transgenders lately... These people who have been involved that kind of actions should be ashamed of themselves. That kind of action have to be stopped!

I'm considering to do something about this hate crimes that are happening in Seattle, Washington lately... I will find out if they have an organization that will help end this hate crimes... If they does, I will join for sure! I am feeling really strong about that.

I do understand how you feel about it. I felt disgusting about that issue, too. I'm pretty sure there is a organization related to hate crime issue.

I used to work at Post Options Business Center which is on Pike and 11th, so there are a lot of organizations which have private mailboxes at that place. I used to sort and deliver mail in their mailboxes for 2 years and I quit working there.

I do understand how you feel about it. I felt disgusting about that issue, too. I'm pretty sure there is a organization related to hate crime issue.

I used to work at Post Options Business Center which is on Pike and 11th, so there are a lot of organizations which have private mailboxes at that place. I used to sort and deliver mail in their mailboxes for 2 years and I quit working there.

I googled it up recently and couldn't find any organizations that involves stop gay-hating. I will ask few of my friends since they are very active in Seattle's GLBT community and organizations.

^^ That's all right and let us know about what you can find. :)

Totally understand how you feel, JJ..

Omg about the news! Those two guys are just very stupid.. Maybe they are just the newcomers and have no idea what Seattle or San Francisco is. *sigh* very sadly..

Never again, Seattle is more safer place for homosexual and transgenders than numerous cities/towns in southeast and midwest usa, even somewhere in west area as well. I was suffered from homophobia from high school at few time, it will be much worse at suburb school in southeast usa and nothing is happen at workplace, only co-worker was just kidding about gay then I ignored her though.

I want gay bashers to get out of USA and Canada, they need move to middle east countries, too much suffers for gay people, that damn unacceptable.

Never again, Seattle is more safer place for homosexual and transgenders than numerous cities/towns in southeast and midwest usa, even somewhere in west area as well. I was suffered from homophobia from high school at few time, it will be much worse at suburb school in southeast usa and nothing is happen at workplace, only co-worker was just kidding about gay then I ignored her though.

True. We, Seattle people need to do something to stop that from happening again and keep the reputation as safe city for homosexuals and transgenders. People need do that too for their own cities than depending on Seattle or San Fransisco being safe cities for these kind of minorities.

I want gay bashers to get out of USA and Canada, they need move to middle east countries, too much suffers for gay people, that damn unacceptable.

That would be nice to get rid of them. It will not work at all period. That would make us "straight bashing". All we need to educate them that homosexuals and transgenders aren't bad as they thinks.

Wow! gosh..... I guess that the world goes CRAZY! or something?? I wish that it would be like peaceful ya know? but people are..... thinking wrong way to do.... oh well. :(

Wow! gosh..... I guess that the world goes CRAZY! or something?? I wish that it would be like peaceful ya know? but people are..... thinking wrong way to do.... oh well. :(

I agree. Sometime people just hate them so much and wanted to do something hateful against them. I don't understand people sometime.

I dont have any hate for anyone except liars. thats all OOPS.. i also hate abusers...

Watchmen on the Walls, UPDATE.

The Advocate is running a story called , Killed in Broad Daylight.

In the Dec 4 2007 Issue 998 page 28 of The Advocate, and on line at. Killed in Broad Daylight

Killed in Broad Daylight
Sacramento has long been considered a tolerant city, but a gay man’s violent death has exposed the wide divide between LGBT residents and the area’s Slavic evangelical Christians.
By Christopher Lisotta
From The Advocate December 4, 2007

Read it online or get the Dec 4th issue.

Watchmen on the Walls, Massachusetts.

The Watchmen on the Walls is comeing to Springfield Massachusetts.
Check out the box turtle bulletin site and Pames House Blend, for updated info.

The Watchmen In Riga, Part 1: “Become A Missionary To America”

And

Hutch's Latvian extremist friends convene to foment hate

Quote from the box turtle bulletin story.

Lively ended his talk that morning with an announcement that he and his wife will be moving to Springfield, Massachusetts to join a New Generation church which serves the Russian-speaking community there. And he invited others in Riga to join him in his quest to change America:

We’re going to Springfield as missionaries to America. We want to do the three tasks of the church. We want to take that goal of transforming society and to apply it in all the areas of life. And I want to invite you, whether you’re here in Riga, whether you’re watching on the Internet, or whether you’re watching on DVD, come to Springfield. Come and be part of the experiment. Help us to develop New Generation and the Watchmen On The Walls into the English-speaking world.

True, Seattle, Wa is a safer place than other cities because it has a history of GBLTA pride and support. However, moving ignorant people will do no good, it'll only inflict more ignorance and hate to another area and subjecting others to that kind of hate. What needs to happen (ideally) is for people to be educated, informed, and become accepting of others who live differently (be it sexual expression, language, clothing, etc etc etc). Hatred across the world needs to stop, maybe someday hate crimes and war will cease....

Us gays need to learn to quit being victims of hate crimes.

We need to learn self-defense and fight back against those that attack us.

People have the right to disagree with our lifestyle but don't have the right to physically attack us.

Heck, carry a gun if you want too! :rl:

I grew up in Seattle and it is no longer the same city that I once knew when I was growing up. Too many people coming into the city! :pissed:

Back