Maid of the Mist employees 'walking around in a daze' following co-worker's death

DeafMonkey

Reaction score
Osprey Media. - St. Catharines Standard

Maid of the Mist employees 'walking around in a daze' following co-worker's death

By GRANT LaFLECHE
Local News - Friday, April 27, 2007 Updated @ 8:05:39 PM

The crews preparing the Maid of Mist boats for the upcoming tourist season went about their work in a fog Friday.

“It is very difficult for us,” said Emil Bende, general manager of marine operations for Maid of the Mist. “Everyone is just walking around in a daze.”

It was the death of 23-year-old Jessica Cormier Thursday that stunned Bende and his staff. An employee of the Maid of the Mist since 2004, Cormier was struck and killed by a car on the Niagara Street overpass.

Around 7:15 a.m. Thursday, the New Brunswick native was walking on the overpass sidewalk to a car pool that was to take her to work.

Niagara Regional Police say a black car driving north on Niagara Street mounted the sidewalk at the point where the sidewalk slopes to meet the road.
It struck Cormier head on and she was thrown over the guard rail onto Dunkirk Road some 12 metres bellow.

Cormier, who moved to Niagara from New Brunswick five years ago, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the car fled, continuing north on Niagara Street, according to police.

Thursday night, acting on a tip, police seized a black car from a home at 21 Winnifred Ave. and believe it is the vehicle that struck Cormier.

Bende said Cormier was an excellent employee.

“She was never late, always pleasant and did her job well, that is why we always brought her back each year,” he said. “She was well liked by her co-workers.”

Cormier worked at Maid of the Mist handing out rain ponchos and taking tickets. At this time of year, she would help prepare the boats for the upcoming season.

On Friday, police continued to ask any witnesses to come forward. In a new release issued Friday morning, police asked the driver of the car to “contact a lawyer and turn himself in to any district of the Niagara Regional Police.”

Police spokesman Const. Neal Orlando said investigators would not say if an arrest warrant had been issued in the case.

Nor could he release any information regarding the owner of the black car seized on Winnifred Avenue. He did say the car was not reported stolen.

The Standard contacted Larry Hendsbee, a resident at 21 Winnifred where the car was found by police.

Hendsbee said he didn’t know anything about the accident and that the black car was not his.

“I don’t know anything about it. It might have something to do with my son,” he said.

Hendsbee said he had not spoken to his son since Thursday. When asked if police were looking for his son, Hendsbee said, “Of course, what do you think?”

Police are asking anyone with information about the accident that caused Cormier’s death to call them at 905-688-4111, ext. 5500, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.glafleche@stcatharinesstandard.ca

Damn stupid the driver hit the 23 yrs old lady and drive off .. I hope so this driver to put in jail for hit and run off :pissed:

That's sad, the 21 years old driver just got himself in deeper trouble for taking off like that, if it was an accident, then he should have stayed put until the police arrived, :shaking my head:

This young woman and her family will be in my prayers and thoughts.. :(

that driver is STUPID!!!!!!!!! and also is DRUNK!

im sure this young woman got died unexpecting for sakes but coroner need approves what kind types of young woman's dies.

Wow. They're making it sound like the driver ran her over on purpose.

yeah I was talk to someone on msn and she told me that someone wintess saw the driver is on purpose :dunno: will find out

That's sad, the 21 years old driver just got himself in deeper trouble for taking off like that, if it was an accident, then he should have stayed put until the police arrived, :shaking my head:

This young woman and her family will be in my prayers and thoughts.. :(

Where did you see that 21 yrs old ?? I dont see driver is 21 yrs old ? probably you mean said 21 Winnifred Ave??

im sure this young woman got died unexpecting for sakes but coroner need approves what kind types of young woman's dies.

huh? where do you read if the driver is drunk? :confused:

Where did you see that 21 yrs old ?? I dont see driver is 21 yrs old ? probably you mean said 21 Winnifred Ave??

Oppise, sowwyie...Forgive me I'm a bit overtired here...

yeah I was talk to someone on msn and she told me that someone wintess saw the driver is on purpose :dunno: will find out

huh? where do you read if the driver is drunk? :confused:

im mean the driver is stupid im not saying drunk my mistakes

Media does nothing to say "drunk" or whatever then quit to be nonsense. :roll:

Osprey Media. - St. Catharines Standard

Man wanted in hit-and-run fatal turns himself in

By KARENA WALTER
Local News - Sunday, April 29, 2007 Updated @ 6:54:10 PM

The driver accused of killing a St. Catharines woman on the Niagara Street overpass and then fleeing the scene will remain in custody until at least Wednesday.

Matthew Hendsbee, 22, appeared in bail court Sunday after turning himself into police Saturday night.

Wearing a black T-shirt, long black shorts and high top runners without laces, Hendsbee showed no emotion as he was read the charges, which include criminal negligence causing the death of 23-year-old Jessica Cormier Thursday.

Cormier was hit by a car that mounted the curb while she was walking south on the Niagara Street sidewalk that morning.

The impact threw her over the bridge guardrail to the South Service Road 12 metres below. Police said the driver made no attempt to stop after the collision.

Friends and strangers marked the tragedy over the weekend with online tributes on a social networking website.
Many sent condolences to Cormier’s family in New Brunswick, expressed horror at what happened and wished police investigators “Godspeed.”

Hendsbee was also charged with dangerous driving causing death, failing to remain at the scene of a collision and breach of probation.

Assistant Crown attorney Brian Wilcox told court the Crown was opposed to Hendsbee’s release.

Duty councillor Foluke Ololade requested the matter be put over to Wednesday, when Hendsbee believes Toronto lawyer Stephen Menzies will be there to represent him.

Hendsbee’s breach of probation charge is related to a Nov. 16, 2006, conviction for assault. The terms of his probation were to “keep the peace and be of good behaviour.”

He also faces a charge of possession of cocaine from last month. Federal prosecutor Darren Anger said after court that Hendsbee was supposed to make his first appearance on the drug charge this Thursday.

The only people in the courtroom, besides staff and The Standard, were two investigators from the Niagara Regional Police collision reconstruction unit.

Police are still looking for witnesses or anyone with information about Hendsbee’s actions before or after the 7:15 a.m. collision.

In particular, they want to speak to a man who got out of his car immediately after the collision and who spoke to several other drivers but left before talking to police. He was a white man between 50 and 65 years old, with grey-brown hair. He was wearing glasses and was stopped on Niagara Street in the south left-turn lane.

Meanwhile, tributes for Cormier continued to be posted online Sunday after a co-worker started a memorial page to her at Facebook.com.

Cormier was on her way to a car pool to take her to work at Maid of the Mist in Niagara Falls.

“What a tragic thing to happen to someone so young and with so much life left to give,” wrote one woman. “My prayers are with you all.”

Said another writer, “I didn’t know Jessica but she is in my thoughts every second of the day. Where is it safe for our children? What is this world coming to?”kwalter@stcatharinesstandard.ca

Back