t-coil and cell phone question?

etalton

Reaction score
I have never used a t-coil before. Even with my ha's I had dai connection but Cochlear does not make one. Is it normal for you not to hear your own voice? That takes me back to pre-CI when I had no control over my own volume and I don't like it. :mad:

Not sure what you asking when you say that cochlear does not make one a DAI? The freedom and the older implant do have Direct Audio Input. You can change the ratio of T-coil to the microphone so that you can hear some of your voice. In my case I prefer just the T-coil.

Not sure what you asking when you say that cochlear does not make one a DAI? The freedom and the older implant do have Direct Audio Input. You can change the ratio of T-coil to the microphone so that you can hear some of your voice. In my case I prefer just the T-coil.
They make the dai for mp3 players and tv/stereo, but they don't have a phone cable any longer other than the Hatas t-coil. I even emailed them and they referred me off site to less expensive versions.
And how would I do the bold part?

There is Personal Audio jack right on the Freedom processors. Is that what you're talking about?
Have you tried WITHOUT the T-coil? Since now there's no feedback, so you don't have to worry about having the phone to your ear.

Otherwise, I think you can go back to your audi and adjust the ratio like john said.

They make the dai for mp3 players and tv/stereo, but they don't have a phone cable any longer other than the Hatas t-coil. I even emailed them and they referred me off site to less expensive versions.
And how would I do the bold part?

Bold - you have to go to the audi to get it mapped out.

That was one of the things that I didn't like too much is the personal audio cable is short. I do wished it was longer.

Other than that, I suggest you to head over to your audi and do the adjustment for the T-coil.

Personal Audio Cables with phones may not work like you would like since there is not a microphone in the cable. I used the Hatis device until it quit working a couple months ago.

As far as the microphone ratio to the T-coil, I don't believe that is adjustable outside of the program. If you have manual controls for sensitivity and volume and use the PA cable, you can depending on settings, turn down the sensitivity to 0 and that may turn off the mic.

I have had pretty good luck with the T-coil setting. Hopefully the Audi can get your programs set better to help you more.

Steve

ET,

You might want to try using a Bluetooth neckloop (such as the one made by Artone). This would allow you to hear sounds directly in your Freedom without having to use the PAC.

For more information:

Artone Hands-free Cell Phone Inductive Neckloop :: Amplified Headsets :: Telephones :: Weitbrecht Communications, Inc.

The bluetooth one I can't afford right now. Will the one you gave me the link for work as well? Since I know nothing about neckloops, I just want to make sure I get the right one.
Besides, now that I look, my phone isn't bluetooth compatible.

Last edited:
ET,

I may be wrong, but I think you can use a Bluetooth necklook with a landline phone without it being compatible. I know of another CI user who uses a Bluetooth neckloop with her landline phone and has no problems.

etalton - My audiologist told me an interesting thing...you can set your T-Coil to a T-Mix. Basically what it does is give you T-coil and noise. That will give you the ability to hear the phone as well as hearing your own voice. I just found that out today. I thought it was really interesting. Doesn't hurt to have your audiologist map out one of the programs (maybe P4) to be a mix. That way you don't need to press the < and > at the same time which can be a bit of a PIA.

etalton - My audiologist told me an interesting thing...you can set your T-Coil to a T-Mix. Basically what it does is give you T-coil and noise. That will give you the ability to hear the phone as well as hearing your own voice. I just found that out today. I thought it was really interesting. Doesn't hurt to have your audiologist map out one of the programs (maybe P4) to be a mix. That way you don't need to press the < and > at the same time which can be a bit of a PIA.

They have JUST put T-Mix in my as i was having problems using my PAC, since it's now better. and the clairty of sounds is better too. It's on all of my maps but i do need to press <> though.
Ask your Audi next thurs about using phone etc... if you can test it at the centre then they would be able to tweak until you are comfortable with it. Take the phone etc with you.

They have JUST put T-Mix in my as i was having problems using my PAC, since it's now better. and the clairty of sounds is better too. It's on all of my maps but i do need to press <> though.
Ask your Audi next thurs about using phone etc... if you can test it at the centre then they would be able to tweak until you are comfortable with it. Take the phone etc with you.

Saw my audi today and have my first "real" mapping. 4 proggies. P1 is normal, P2 is same as P1 with noise reduction. P3 has what I call tunnel hearing, as it has a narrow field of hearing for restaurants and such and P4 has T-mix (thanks for suggesting it all...it is so much easier to just touch the one button than to used the < >). Also have my spare back, with same programs.

Glad to hear you got it fixed, I use my T-coil on my cell phone and I use my P2 which cuts out back ground noise for speaker phone conversations. I tend to find that if i leave it on the P1 program it isn't as loud on the cell phone as the T-coil.

Glad to hear you got it fixed, I use my T-coil on my cell phone and I use my P2 which cuts out back ground noise for speaker phone conversations. I tend to find that if i leave it on the P1 program it isn't as loud on the cell phone as the T-coil.

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try as I am still experimenting with the whole t-coil/cell phone thing.

Etalton - your P3 program is called Focus or Beam program :) I had that since activation, but I rarely use it because I am hardly ever in a situation where I needed it, but it's nice to know that I have it.

Once you get used to knowing your programs and stuff, you will become better at figuring out what exactly you want. I know that I'm very sensitive to high frequencies (which is ironic because I could NEVER hear in the highs even with my HA's), so the highs are reduced.

I don't need the T-Mix because I do not use the phone at all. So, mine is pretty much the same as yours, except for the T-Mix is Music program for me. :)

Glad you're liking your new programs! Remember...there's 4000 ways to map.

Etalton - your P3 program is called Focus or Beam program :) I had that since activation, but I rarely use it because I am hardly ever in a situation where I needed it, but it's nice to know that I have it.

Once you get used to knowing your programs and stuff, you will become better at figuring out what exactly you want. I know that I'm very sensitive to high frequencies (which is ironic because I could NEVER hear in the highs even with my HA's), so the highs are reduced.

I don't need the T-Mix because I do not use the phone at all. So, mine is pretty much the same as yours, except for the T-Mix is Music program for me. :)

Glad you're liking your new programs! Remember...there's 4000 ways to map.
Woo-hoo, only 3996 to go! I am still not sure about the t-mix, but willing to try. I, too, am sensitive to the highs and my audi did tune them down a bit. I have already noticed a difference. Voices still not human, but less chipmunky. And that is a good thing. While I was coming home I found I could recognize more and more songs on the radio, at least on the oldies channel, and that was wonderful.
Honestly, I have not noticed that big a difference with the focus/beam program so will most likely get rid of it next visit. That has been left up to me, as I have progressed a bit faster than her other patients.
I really want to be able to use the phone again..my oldest lives where I see my audi/ci surgeon and I really miss talking to her on the phone. She has so much going on with her life and we used to talk about everything. I don't like the standard t-coil though, as it is hard to keep in place with the CI and my glasses. I am going to give the loop a try and see how that progresses.

Back