Junk yards closing….

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
3,500 Crushed: Large Montana salvage yard closes - Old Cars Weekly

This is one yard in Montana that closed. According to the owner, there were many more yards back then. They closed left and right. The owner realized that being in junkyard business is not profitable so he closed doors.

I'm wondering why junk yard businesses are not flourishing? I'm guessing that with bad economy, people don't have disposable income to spend on their vehicles. Therefore, business decreases in junk yards all over area.

Secondly, I would imagine that it gets harder and harder to find older vehicles so junk yards may have trouble keeping up with their inventories.

Thirdly, people seem to be asking for moon for their classics. Junk yard can only pay wholesale values for their vehicles or else they cannot make any money. How many people want to wholesale their vehicles those days?

I think more people are trading their cars in for a new model and there is sticker regulation on cars today so there is no point buying parts for an older car that might not pass inspection.

No, the issue is, back in the days , lets say a 1967 mustang, well 67,68,69 would all have interchangeable parts, same body style, then 1970,71,72 and so on, so the bodys spanned over a period of time. Todays market, the bodies change every year on most vehicles making it limited. Besides the metal bodies could be welded, cut and patched...ect...
The newer cars are mostly plastic and dont hold up or last long as they did before in metal works. Therefore limiting profits. Basically the yards scrap the motors, theres no frames or profit in steel recycling for them either anymore.

No, the issue is, back in the days , lets say a 1967 mustang, well 67,68,69 would all have interchangeable parts, same body style, then 1970,71,72 and so on, so the bodys spanned over a period of time. Todays market, the bodies change every year on most vehicles making it limited. Besides the metal bodies could be welded, cut and patched...ect...
The newer cars are mostly plastic and dont hold up or last long as they did before in metal works. Therefore limiting profits. Basically the yards scrap the motors, theres no frames or profit in steel recycling for them either anymore.

Yeah would be the other reason . People where able to work in their own cars when I was growing up. Boys would spend hours working on their cars.

Umm no. I drove almost all of models from GM and Dodge. They still same bodies for 3-4 years. Not each year. Where you get that info from?

The yard near me now charges just to go inside and look to see if they have waht you want, im not sure if other yards overseas are doing this now but it seems unfair for the honest people like me then when you get the part you want the wreckers can charge more then a new part from a dealer

Interesting. Never realized they were vanishing. I do see more backyards being like mini junkyards so maybe thats why? Lol

Sad to see vintage cars are being thrown away. There won't be many of them left in this world. Pretty sure there is more vintage cars that is too deteriorated beyond restoration out there and might face the same fate.

Sad to see vintage cars are being thrown away. There won't be many of them left in this world. Pretty sure there is more vintage cars that is too deteriorated beyond restoration out there and might face the same fate.

I agree. I think I can see why the owner who didn't run the ads or contact the vintage restorer firms to get rid of the oldies, you never know some people in Europe or Japan, would be love to collect the parts. He blew it :crazy:

Another reason for the closures is our beloved EPA, they have placed regulations on junkyards that are very expensive to implement and maintain

Umm no. I drove almost all of models from GM and Dodge. They still same bodies for 3-4 years. Not each year. Where you get that info from?

Ummm older cars yeah, newer cars No. Not saying every make now but mostly. Straight from the body shop my man... check into it, some panels wont fit the next year.

Another reason for the closures is our beloved EPA, they have placed regulations on junkyards that are very expensive to implement and maintain

Not quite, just they have to drain gas/oils and recycle... or get fined, thats why the yards are fairly clean now without the oily soil as it had before. All the yards here have nice clean gravel that tears the hell out of you while getting under a vehicle for parts.

Or could it be that these junkyards sold their entire inventories to the Chinese for materials input for their factories? They have the money to buy ALL AT ONCE.

The yard near me now charges just to go inside and look to see if they have waht you want, im not sure if other yards overseas are doing this now but it seems unfair for the honest people like me then when you get the part you want the wreckers can charge more then a new part from a dealer

Yup $1... covers cost of liability insurance.

All the yards here now have a shed/warehouse. They take the vehicles in first to drain oils, gas and strip parts for repair shops then set them in the yard. They have a fenced off section of new arrivals that you cant touch till they do their surgeries on them first.

Not quite, just they have to drain gas/oils and recycle... or get fined, thats why the yards are fairly clean now without the oily soil as it had before. All the yards here have nice clean gravel that tears the hell out of you while getting under a vehicle for parts.

Also they pay disposal fees such as oil/coolant/freon/tires/batteries to complying with EPA regulation. Also they pay permit/EPA licenses. Expensive....

Or could it be that these junkyards sold their entire inventories to the Chinese for materials input for their factories? They have the money to buy ALL AT ONCE.

F...king Chinese, turn the rest of parts over to the restoration manufactures in USA, to copy or redesign them to produce new pride USA made parts....

It's all about trading.... we get goods, we send them metals.

If we change that and stop trading, we'd make goods here unfortunately at a higher price.

F...king Chinese, turn the rest of parts over to the restoration manufactures in USA, to copy or redesign them to produce new pride USA made parts....

Back