Netflix App for PS3 now has Subtitles!!

prostock19

Reaction score
I haven't posted here in a LONG time, so many of you guys may not know me. I have been a fan of Netflix on demand for a LONG time, and thought it sucked for my Deaf friends because of the lack of subtitles. The other day, I downloaded the App for PS3 (which is great because you no longer need the disk for streaming movies) and noticed an option for some shows and movies for "Language and Subtitles". So I loaded up a movie in my cue and yes, the subtitles work!

I just downloaded and installed the app for Wii and subtitles work there as well.

Is it for all the videos? Or just some of them?

I've been skeptical of Netflix on the whole because most of the videos on their website didn't have subtitles, even when the equivalents on Hulu and the like did have them. It also doesn't work on Linux OS because of the DRM in their video files, but that's another rant entirely.

Is it for all the videos? Or just some of them?

I've been skeptical of Netflix on the whole because most of the videos on their website didn't have subtitles, even when the equivalents on Hulu and the like did have them. It also doesn't work on Linux OS because of the DRM in their video files, but that's another rant entirely.

Just install DVDcss file in Linux and it'll run. Ubuntu already have it in its Software Repository. Right now it's legal to use DVDcss for Linux now. Some Linux flavor require compiling, Some don't. I watched DVD movie on Ubuntu. It works just fine.

But about streaming video, I have no idea. I am planning on switching over from Blockbuster to Netflix very soon. I will try out streaming video on Ubuntu to see how it work.

Catty

Just install DVDcss file in Linux and it'll run. Ubuntu already have it in its Software Repository. Right now it's legal to use DVDcss for Linux now. Some Linux flavor require compiling, Some don't. I watched DVD movie on Ubuntu. It works just fine.

But about streaming video, I have no idea. I am planning on switching over from Blockbuster to Netflix very soon. I will try out streaming video on Ubuntu to see how it work.

Catty

I was actually referring to streaming - I think the issue is that Netflix uses Silverlight which isn't on Ubuntu because of DRM issues. And last time I checked, Moonlight and Wine didn't work as methods to get around it.

I do have Windows machines so I can just use those I guess. But with the lack of subtitle support for most vids I don't use Netflix THAT much anyway.

I just signed up and installed Netflix PS3. I have free trial for this month and I tried to find Options in Netflix in PS3 and I don't find any. Even I played the movie and it doesn't show settings??

I wonder can any of you give me a hint? I know only 375 titles of movies are subtitled by Netflix.

Catty

I just signed up and installed Netflix PS3. I have free trial for this month and I tried to find Options in Netflix in PS3 and I don't find any. Even I played the movie and it doesn't show settings??

I wonder can any of you give me a hint? I know only 375 titles of movies are subtitled by Netflix.

Catty

Netflix PS3 Update to Offer 5.1 Surround Sound, Subtitles and Multiple Audio Tracks - Film Junk

read comments boxes
attachment.php

Attachments

• comments.JPG
    comments.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 57

I simply asking for instruction how to get into OPTION menu to turn on Subtitle in PS3. Netflix software kept me on the loop and not being able to find Option. In matter of fact, there is no Exit in Menu if I want to get out of Netflix except to press main button on lower middle of wireless console to get out.

Do you mean Option menu on PS3 itself?? I've already checked and subtitle been set to "English". But there is no option that I can turn on to "Use subtitle when available".

Also How do you really know which movies in Netflix movie list have Subtitles??

If I can't get Subtitle turned on in Netflix on PS3. I may as well have to cancel subscription and try other streaming movie.

My laptop just had Silverlight software installed. I've played and there is no menu to turn on Subtitle Huh!!

Catty

Not much Netflix movies with subtitles. few new release movies with subtitles. I have lots of Vuze bittorrent download movies with subtitles. That s free. I don't need to sign up membership of Netflix.

I simply asking for instruction how to get into OPTION menu to turn on Subtitle in PS3. Netflix software kept me on the loop and not being able to find Option. In matter of fact, there is no Exit in Menu if I want to get out of Netflix except to press main button on lower middle of wireless console to get out.

Do you mean Option menu on PS3 itself?? I've already checked and subtitle been set to "English". But there is no option that I can turn on to "Use subtitle when available".

Also How do you really know which movies in Netflix movie list have Subtitles??

If I can't get Subtitle turned on in Netflix on PS3. I may as well have to cancel subscription and try other streaming movie.

My laptop just had Silverlight software installed. I've played and there is no menu to turn on Subtitle Huh!!

Catty

Oh well.. try "iTune" for you? some movies have subtitles.

Catty

Where did you get your 375 number from??

I wonder would it make any difference on PS3 and HDTV setup for subtitle, I use HDMI jack to plug from PS3 to HDTV. My HDTV do not have Digital CC setting, just Analog CC setting. Which is why I couldn't turn on CC under HDMI. Would it make any difference If I have Digital CC under HDMI

How do you know which Netflix movies have Subtitles other than Foreign movies.

Catty

I wonder would it make any difference on PS3 and HDTV setup for subtitle, I use HDMI jack to plug from PS3 to HDTV. My HDTV do not have Digital CC setting, just Analog CC setting. Which is why I couldn't turn on CC under HDMI. Would it make any difference If I have Digital CC under HDMI

How do you know which Netflix movies have Subtitles other than Foreign movies.

Catty

CC isn't supported under HDMI setting, so same goes to my HDTV too.

CC isn't supported on HDMI settings... and it's not on all of the movies just some of them.. there's a few on XBL as well but most of the ones i've watched don't have it. Reeks.

Back