Having a child

annie23100

Reaction score
Hello everyone :) i would like to ask if both me and my husband can hear however my husband has more than one deaf sibling, what are the chances that our child may be deaf?

Thank you

Only one thread please...

It all depends on the genes in your family. You child could be born deaf, or hearing. Having a child is very special regardless... every child needs unconditional love. :)

Good luck.

Was your husband' sibling deafness genetically inclined? If so, then you're child does have a slight chance to have this recessive trait. Otherwise, factors that lead to late deafness can occur (infection, loud noise exposure, rare genetic mutations, etc.)

Lots of normal Hearing parents gave baby who happen to have hearing loss. So there are no such things about a chance or not.

The way your post that sounds like you are worried about having kids being deaf. I think you need to see the doctor counselor or seeking for some help.

My mom stopped after my brother was born when she found out that he is deaf just like me. She wanted more kids with my dad but decided to stop for fear of having more deaf kids. When she saw how successful and happy we both are, she realized that it was stupid to do that because deaf babies can grow up to be like anyone.

What if your child is deaf, what is your next step?

after my parents found out that I had lost 50, the next step was to get hearing aids for me (I'm forever still living with hearing aids LOL)
but I will be getting my 4th pair in December

Lots of normal Hearing parents gave baby who happen to have hearing loss. So there are no such things about a chance or not.

The way your post that sounds like you are worried about having kids being deaf. I think you need to see the doctor counselor or seeking for some help.

Unfortunately, if genetics are a factor probability is always involved, i.e. AABB-not a carrier, AAbb--carrier but not expressed, aabb-expressed (recessive trait). Hearing parents that carry said gene (but is not a dominant trait to develop into deafness) do have a chance to conceive a deaf child (both hearing parents handed down recessive traits). Outside genetics, like I said, depends on alot of things. That's how the medical world understands things, they have to quantify it to disprove and so on...

Hearing/deaf/HoH who cares love conquers all.

Both of my parents have excellent hearing and still do well into their 60's, My sister is 2 years younger than me and has hearing loss as well, mine was much worst as a child.
I believe our hearing loss was due to my dad work, as he worked with various metals (Leaded steel, brass, ect...) Lead which is known for birth defects, reproductive defects...ect...
Both of my children (daughter 21 and son 4) have excellent hearing, so its not genetics as my sister 2 kids (18 and 14) have good hearing as well.

Both of my parents have excellent hearing and still do well into their 60's, My sister is 2 years younger than me and has hearing loss as well, mine was much worst as a child.
I believe our hearing loss was due to my dad work, as he worked with various metals (Leaded steel, brass, ect...) Lead which is known for birth defects, reproductive defects...ect...
Both of my children (daughter 21 and son 4) have excellent hearing, so its not genetics as my sister 2 kids (18 and 14) have good hearing as well.

M mom had incredible good hearing , she once told our neighbors she could her them talking in the their back yard when he was upstairs in her bedroom . Our neighbors told my mom that was impossible and my mom said " Do you want me to tell you want you where talking about?" My dad was hearing too , I was the only one out four kids that hoh . I have no idea if anyone one else was born hoh or deaf in my family .

HUH ?? This does not mean the OP is crazy or something . The parents needs to be more informed like a lot hearing people.

HUH ?? This does not mean the OP is crazy or something . The parents needs to be more informed like a lot hearing people.

FF did not say the OP was crazy. She was saying talking to a doctor for info could help, and if the OP is fearful of having deaf children, then talking to a counselor could help.

did i say psychologist? :ugh3: no it's doctor/counselor who do familiar with people with hearing losses, who may answer to the parents.

Otherwise, alleycat is right that i didnt say " you are CRAZY, and GET help, you loose mind" i didnt say that.

Hope it clears up the misunderstanding posts here.

FF did not say the OP was crazy. She was saying talking to a doctor for info could help, and if the OP is fearful of having deaf children, then talking to a counselor could help.

I read it difference than you did , it sounds more like she was implying the people where nuts . People seem to do that a lot around here when a hearing people ask questions about having deaf baby . You can't deny this does not happen !

M mom had incredible good hearing , she once told our neighbors she could her them talking in the their back yard when he was upstairs in her bedroom . Our neighbors told my mom that was impossible and my mom said " Do you want me to tell you want you where talking about?" My dad was hearing too , I was the only one out four kids that hoh . I have no idea if anyone one else was born hoh or deaf in my family .

LOL I'm the same way even though I had great hearing aids :3

Back