Should your aged parent quit driving??

CRIKEY!! can't believe the doctor won't even give him a medical clearance ... thought the doc would be happy to help you to get your father off the roads permanently. The mind boggles!

Thanks Ozzie - My father cannot turn to look over his shoulder to the right or the left and now sits slumped forward due to his injuries (chest, neck and head) from his recent accident which is partly why the doctor rightly refused to give him a clearance.

My father went back to the doctor too soon for he is in a hurry to resit his licence in a country town as he is about to move back to the city of Melbourne where the traffic is wild and challenging enough for any careful driver. He knows he doesnt have a good chance when he moves.

Tough situation, Kangaroo. But at least the doctor refusing to provide medical clearance takes the responsibility out of everyone else's hands for the time being, including your father's.

Jillio thanks, yes it is a difficult time. I can understand the problem of losing one's independance (ie driving where you want, when you want). There are other options available. I'd rather lose a part of indepdendance than to lose a life or someone elses. It is only logical that one is deemed fit to sit a test, physically and mentally first before attempting the testing part.

I know he shouldnt be driving - I've been in countless near misses with him as a child and its getting worse as he gets older and oh, of course its always the other persons fault! :hmm:

His ability, vision, reaction times are all impaired. He's caused serious injuries to others and I dread the next one might be a fatality or permanently disfiguring another person or child.

Kangaroo

Thanks Ozzie - My father cannot turn to look over his shoulder to the right or the left and now sits slumped forward due to his injuries (chest, neck and head) from his recent accident which is partly why the doctor rightly refused to give him a clearance.

My father went back to the doctor too soon for he is in a hurry to resit his licence in a country town as he is about to move back to the city of Melbourne where the traffic is wild and challenging enough for any careful driver. He knows he doesnt have a good chance when he moves.

Oh, I get it now .... oh, ok but still a doctor should tell him that your father cannot drive anymore.

What about parent that drive with children? They became so distracted while tending to a baby. I always feel like I am in danger when I am riding with someone like that. It's no fun watching vehicle going off course. :P

I am always amazed that no one have said anything about situations like that...does anyone even noticed that?

I never forgot about the old lady drove on the wrong way directly to me while i drove the right way on the left lane. I honked at the lady who was on wrong way in one way street that time and the lady did not move to shoulder pavement so i had to move my car right next to the car on the right lane on the right way street that was almost against the guardrail to avoid accident with old lady's car ... Geez WHIZ!!!!!!! She shouldn't drive like that. It was happened in 1996 or 1997 that time.... Know what??? The one way street is where the mountain is at near cliff!!!! Oh SHYT!!!! LOL :lol:

I think they should have to pass a behind-the-wheel driving test every other year. People driving slow are just as dangerous as the speeders on a highway. I have also noticed they don't check their blind spots very well.

We will all be in this situation...will u be ready to surrender your driving priveledges when u are 70 years old?

I know I probably would have a fit!!!

I have mixed feelings about this. If someone is suffering from dementia, then they shouldnt be driving.

(Hi Kang!) Well I will be 75 on 08/08/08! I still drive and at quite a long distance too, but in places I am familiar with. When I go to visit my family 2 hours away over the mountains, I always stay in the same hotel, so that I do not lose my bearings. It is very confusing at night these days because of all the white lines going every which way and all the "natives" appearing to know exactly where they are going (and I am not sure!!). Trust me, it is scary sometimes. I do not suffer from "dementia", but my reflexes have slowed down and all these motorists in a big hurry make me nervous! Around town here, going to Safeway and the Healthfood Store, etc. I do fine. When the time comes to quit driving, I will be the first to raise my hand and say, "No more!"

Oh, I get it now .... oh, ok but still a doctor should tell him that your father cannot drive anymore.

No worries Ozzie, yes so far the doctors cannot state that he is fit to sit a test. He may yet improve healthwise, time will tell.

Kangaroo

(Hi Kang!) Well I will be 75 on 08/08/08! I still drive and at quite a long distance too, but in places I am familiar with. When I go to visit my family 2 hours away over the mountains, I always stay in the same hotel, so that I do not lose my bearings. It is very confusing at night these days because of all the white lines going every which way and all the "natives" appearing to know exactly where they are going (and I am not sure!!). Trust me, it is scary sometimes. I do not suffer from "dementia", but my reflexes have slowed down and all these motorists in a big hurry make me nervous! Around town here, going to Safeway and the Healthfood Store, etc. I do fine. When the time comes to quit driving, I will be the first to raise my hand and say, "No more!"

Hi Lantana! I think that is great that you drive and the fantastic thing is that you have the ability to know your limits, which is ideally what all of us need regardless of age. There's a huge difference between a person who is willing to put one's hand up and say.. "thats it, it's time" than to have the notion "the world is out to get me and I'm gonna prove 'em wrong and nothing is gonna stop me". I'm afraid that is the attitude of my father. I dont think I've ever heard him admit that he's wrong over anything. I don't say anything to him any more over the issue. It's easier that way. Time will tell what happens.

Kangaroo

Someone, I know can drive at age 85. He is well and fit. Depend on individuals but I would say it does the same with teenagers as well.

I would say that teen driving is the worst than elder driving.

My parents are in their 70's and they are still driving. My dad drives alot for his courier job (he refuse to retire till he's dead). their eyesights are good with glasses tho. I've ridden with my parent recently and they're careful driver. BUT my mom drives car like a teenage sometime (MOM!!!). My great Uncle Roy was 94 years old and he still drives car (That was 8 years ago and he died couple years later). When he was leaving. He backed out car from my parent's driveway nice and easy and on street, he shifted to drive as my mom and I were watching him. He floored the pedal and car go skrrreeeeeeee with smoke wow LOL. I told Mom that Roy is driving like a teenager LOL.

WhiteWolf64, I've seen granny drove wrong side of road few times in past when I was young.. That's hair raising moment!!!!

I had a brave moment 4 years ago that I was heading on my way to work at night, As I drove on split highway, I saw car heading on wrong side of road. I blinked the light and the other driver beside me tried to wave at him. It was dark out and he can't see us. So I motioned to driver next to me that I will intercept that driver. I crossed the median and floored my car 85 mph and pass the car and it turned out to be an old man. I pulled over quickly in front of him and slowed him down to stop. I quickly got out of my car and ran to his car and yanked the door and told the old man that you're driving on wrong side of the lane!!! in a firm voice. He said I just wanted to go home!!. I told him You are not going anywhere until cop comes over!!! I told the man to shut off the engine and hand me the key. (the driver beside me called the cop before I crossed the median took care of it). Very fortunate that there were no oncoming traffic at that night. The cop came and he talked to old man and he thanked me and he didn't even give old man a ticket or do anything except follow him home on wrong side of lane SHeesh cop!!!

It all depend on their mentally and health. I've seen driver in his 80's driving corvette or any sport car.. Some drive big F 350 ford truck (I've seen skinny old man driving this truck and he looked like toothpick in a huge truck LOL) I've read article about old lady in her 85 bought and drive Bugatti ($2 million dollar car) and she drive 130mph in German country without problem.

I have encountered some old drivers that should have their license revoked cuz they were driving too slow on highway or not responding to signal light that I had to beep horn to get their slow pokie mind to get their car going. Even runs over curbs and grasses and kept driving yike!!. Hey Grandpa! It's time to hike for Taxi!!

Catty

Wow! A '65 Ford Fairlane! That brings back memories...my brother had one (3 speed on the column) that I learned to drive in. Wish I had that car now!

:topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic:

I owned and drove 1967 Chevy C-10 pickup truck with 3 speed column shifter for 4 years. It's very nice and convenience and gives more seating rooms (you don't have to worry about ramming shifter into someone's "bell" beside you LOL). My friend also used to have 1966 AMC Rambler comvertible with 3 speed column shifter too. He had a really rare car tho.

BUT the down side of it are that if you don't shift it properly (like sloppy shift), It'll locks up the tranny (two gears enganged at the same time). DO NOT RELEASE CLUTCH if locked up. IF you did release the clutch, it'll seize the engine and locks the axle in the middle of driving speed. Scary isn't it. I've never had drivetrain lockup. I simply pulls over and stop and applied parking brake and shut off the engine before I released the clutch. Then open up the hood and shake one of shifter rod to loosen it. Then shut the hood and head back to cab and start up truck and continue to drive as normal. Lock up happens 4 to 5 times a year, it's not the truck problem, it's me and my sloppy shifting on one of these day...

Big three discontinued making column shifter after 73'. AMC Rambler, Ford Fairlane, Chevrolet cars and truck did have 3 speed column shifter which are popular in the 60's

Catty

Wow! A '65 Ford Fairlane! That brings back memories...my brother had one (3 speed on the column) that I learned to drive in. Wish I had that car now!

i learned how to drive in a 64 fairlane with auto- 4 door also 69 fairlane my dad was crazy abt those cars back then...

anyway back to topic.. i know some old people still drivin cross country at age of over 80s my uncle did drive cross country till maybe 80s .. so it really depends on which health they have... my uncle was a snow bird.. lol

:topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic:

I owned and drove 1967 Chevy C-10 pickup truck with 3 speed column shifter for 4 years. It's very nice and convenience and gives more seating rooms (you don't have to worry about ramming shifter into someone's "bell" beside you LOL). My friend also used to have 1966 AMC Rambler comvertible with 3 speed column shifter too. He had a really rare car tho.

BUT the down side of it are that if you don't shift it properly (like sloppy shift), It'll locks up the tranny (two gears enganged at the same time). DO NOT RELEASE CLUTCH if locked up. IF you did release the clutch, it'll seize the engine and locks the axle in the middle of driving speed. Scary isn't it. I've never had drivetrain lockup. I simply pulls over and stop and applied parking brake and shut off the engine before I released the clutch. Then open up the hood and shake one of shifter rod to loosen it. Then shut the hood and head back to cab and start up truck and continue to drive as normal. Lock up happens 4 to 5 times a year, it's not the truck problem, it's me and my sloppy shifting on one of these day...

Big three discontinued making column shifter after 73'. AMC Rambler, Ford Fairlane, Chevrolet cars and truck did have 3 speed column shifter which are popular in the 60's

Catty

I'm off topic, too.....but thanks for the advise, Catty. I have never locked a tranny up yet, but there is always a first time! Never say never. I like a standard tranny because if something does go wrong, you can replace only the gear that is giving problems, instead of the whole transmission as in an automatic. Cheaper. Plus, I think a standard drives better in bad weather.

Okay...back on toic!:giggle:

Tell that to my parents! Just kidding....

My parents drive just fine but my dad drives like a maniac sometimes. He has been driving like that for a long time, it's not his age.

I'm off topic, too.....but thanks for the advise, Catty. I have never locked a tranny up yet, but there is always a first time! Never say never. I like a standard tranny because if something does go wrong, you can replace only the gear that is giving problems, instead of the whole transmission as in an automatic. Cheaper. Plus, I think a standard drives better in bad weather.

Okay...back on toic!:giggle:

yeah the off topic thing....sorry.

I never had problems with the transmission when that happens. It has been very reliable. It just grinds gears if you have it at a wrong timing. I have had the clutch replaced once, too. I don't have a manual car at this time.

Back