Sorenson Communications

LadyAbigail

Reaction score
I had the opportunity to visit one of Sorenson Communications relay centers with my ASL class last week. It was very interesting, we got a tour and info about the company and what they do, (interpret for deaf and HOH over the phone) and attended one of their regular CEUs (Continuing Education Unit) for interpreters. So, I'm wondering...is this something that most deaf people know about and use regularly? Is it a new thing that a lot of people don't know about yet?

Yes.. of course...

I had the opportunity to visit one of Sorenson Communications relay centers with my ASL class last week. It was very interesting, we got a tour and info about the company and what they do, (interpret for deaf and HOH over the phone) and attended one of their regular CEUs (Continuing Education Unit) for interpreters. So, I'm wondering...is this something that most deaf people know about and use regularly? Is it a new thing that a lot of people don't know about yet?

Yes. this is something that... we are very... familiar with :) It's a phone for us so yeah of course, we're aware. Sorenson isn't the only vendor that provides this services.. there are other companies like ZVRS.. Purple... Convo... and many more.. my personal favorite is Sorenson. The sad part is that many hearing people don't realized that it's "standard" for us, the deaf/hoh people and it's annoying. At my work station, i would have a video phone and my coworkers would gawk at my "gadget" as they call it. I understand that they're amazed w/ the technology and amazed on how we can communicate with people in a different way... but it's like.. get over it, haha. of course, I'm nice about it and I let them see how it works by calling a coworker from the other end of the building (who also has a vp). so to answer your question... video phone is something that we do know about. :):D

Let me put it this way - majority of us on Alldeaf use the VRS's as preferred way to communicate on the phone instead of those darned old dinosaurs technologies called TDD or formerly known as TTY using TRS companies. The old technology is still in place, but more and more are migrating to VRS'es. Most of us have already moved the the VRS's but there are still select few using TDD's for many reasons.

Any deaf and HoH can use VRS service and hardware as long they have two things: sign and have high speed internet at home or place of where they want to use VP.

Many deafs are already aware of VP's to make VRS calls, but there are still some in the "dark ages" and its going to take time to educate them or get high speed in their area. With all of us deaf/HoH/hearing we can work together to make this happen. Even in the workplaces- the hearies just needs to be open mind on how we deafies can help you with phone calls for job duties at your work if you can spread awareness/understanding that a internet connection/deskspace is needed for VP to be installed. Same goes for the IT dept at workplaces needs to understand that certain ports needs be open to the VP assigned IP address.

Most hearing people know about TTY.... that's older because you need more things on you to make that call. You can make a VRS call via nTouch for Sorenson on your iphone or ipad while on the go. You don't need to carry extra things with you.

The people I know close to my generation who are comfortable with smartphones and technology use more apps and VRS on iphone etc. I also know people who are dumbfounded by apps and smartphones who stick to what they know. It's not that they don't know it exists.... it's just that they are less frustrated with what they're comfortable with.

And then there are those of us that know about it BUT don't know ASL mainly because we know no one that uses it. I, for instance, took a beginning class in it a couple of different years many years ago and made NO contacts to use it with. It has been so many years since I have seen anyone use it, for example while out shopping, that I can't remember when it was. Thus, I have forgotten 99% of what I did learn. I get soooo frustrated with those that assume we ALL know and use ASL!

I find TTY and the State Relay Service with VCO (voice carryover - so I can talk for myself and the CA just sends me what the other person says) very convenient at home.

I am still fighting to find something dependable to use on a smartphone. It seems that all the providers around here either don't even offer 3G service (AT&T has us stuck in an Edge area) or the signal strength varies enough to have at least one of the people on the call cutting in and out with one of the CapTel apps.

Yes, I'm aware of their services... as well as many other VRS.

However, it's not something I use often. The most I used it was twice a month for conference calls for work. Other than that, it's once every few month to communicate with friends.

I'm not much of a telephone person. :dunno:

One road block for Sorenson-like devices is that they sometimes have difficulties with proxy servers and firewalls, both of which are common in businesses.

The school where I work (as a computer technician) had one installed in the DHH classroom and took some work to get it functioning correctly. What impressed me the most though was that the technicians that Sorenson sent to work with us were Deaf. I know it would make sense for Sorenson to hire Deaf techs to work with their customers but so many businesses are stupid about stuff like that. Anyway, it was really cool getting to sign "techie-stuff" with Deaf technicians.

So, I'm wondering...is this something that most deaf people know about and use regularly? Is it a new thing that a lot of people don't know about yet?

I would ask you if you know what TTY is?
Basically, yes, most/just about all Deaf people know about VRS, and Captel, and TTY. It is how we communicate with people.

The companies (Sorensom and CDVRS and others) arrange for Deaf people to receive free videophones.

I've used VRS before but because I voice when I sign it was awkward for my fiancé (who is now my husband).

Texting is so much easier and less trouble. I can get my point across and understand the other person without having to rely on a third party.

I would ask you if you know what TTY is?
Basically, yes, most/just about all Deaf people know about VRS, and Captel, and TTY. It is how we communicate with people.

Yes, I know what TTY is. Most of my deaf culture and ASL education has been via older videos and books from the 80s and 90s so I was familiar with TTY but not so much with VRS. One scene in Switched At Birth was the first time I'd seen a videophone, so I was wondering if it's a new thing or if I'm just behind the times. I'm behind the times. LOL. :) I'm catching up though. Learning more about the deaf world every week! :)

Back