Husband sells $23K ring for $10.00

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Calif. Husband Sells $23,000 Ring for $10 - ABC News

What a funny story!!! If I was the husband, check to make sure that ring is not in the box. Someone made a mistake!! I am smelling a divorce if he does not replace the ring.

As matter of fact, I hope she divorces him. No women deserve a man that doesn't know what they're doing.

That is sad. I hope they return it too. Maybe they didnt know it was real.

Sad? Indeed, but both are responsible for the mistake. Problem is wife didn't inform hubby that her ring was hidden in there. Hubby had no clue and sold, thinking it is useless box. Wife should have warned him, and HE should have checked thoroughly before put on sale. 50-50 end of story... sad!

Wirelessly posted

Very sad indeed. They have to offer a reward on top ouch!

Sad? Indeed, but both are responsible for the mistake. Problem is wife didn't inform hubby that her ring was hidden in there. Hubby had no clue and sold, thinking it is useless box. Wife should have warned him, and HE should have checked thoroughly before put on sale. 50-50 end of story... sad!

I agree if you want to place blame but accidents do happen and I don't think it does any good in situations like this to start blaming anyone. At this point they can only hope someone brings the ring back and move on. At least it wasn't a family heirloom.

I do have to say though I don't think I've ever gotten rid of a box without looking in it twice. :hmm:

:hmm:

Someone with that expensive a ring is having a yard sale? Why does he need the money? Gambling debts? Bad investment?

In other words, is he putting in an insurance claim for this ring? Did he previously pawn it, and is trying to create a cover story?

Just something to think about.

Someone with that expensive a ring is having a yard sale? Why does he need the money? Gambling debts? Bad investment?

In other words, is he putting in an insurance claim for this ring? Did he previously pawn it, and is trying to create a cover story?

well
“Every year our community holds a garage sale. I was in the hospital, I just had a baby, so my husband thought it would be fun for my other kids if they could sell some things at the garage sale,” said Racquel Cloutier, 31, of Laguna Niguel, Calif., who owns the ring.

So he says. The yard sale could be a convenient cover.

As someone who has had yard sales, the one word I would NOT use to describe setting up one is "fun." It takes a lot of time and effort.

As someone who has had yard sales, the one word I would NOT use to describe setting up one is "fun." It takes a lot of time and effort.

it's a nice activity to do with kids, I suppose? :dunno:

I have seen yard sales in all types of neighborhoods where I live. And as Jiro pointed out in the post above yours this was a Community Wide Event. That doesn't surprise me; what does is not looking in the box before putting it up for sale.

It doesn't have to be that much work to have the kids put out a few things as part of a community event.

Last edited:

No there nothing to think about at all. The ring could had been a family heirloom.
It was very dumb of the wife to not tell her husband when she had put the ring. She put it in an empty box and the husband could had thrown the box in the trash .

Boy you sure a reading a lot into this. People do have yard sales for fun, some people have joint yards with their neighbors and made a party out it.
I have neighbors that have yard sales every summer, it's a great way to meet new neighbors. And kids loves to made money selling stuffs they do not want anymore. Chill out!

No there nothing to think about at all. The ring could had been a family heirloom.
It was very dumb of the wife to not tell her husband when she had put the ring. She put it in an empty box and the husband could had thrown the box in the trash .
Makes me wonder who pays $10 for an empty used watch box without opening it first? :hmm:

Makes me wonder who pays $10 for an empty used watch box without opening it first? :hmm:

I bet someone opened every boxes to see if anything was in it. When they opened that one box, they shut it fast!! Give the $10 and run off before anyone realized what happened. That would be my best scenario.

Boy you sure a reading a lot into this. People do have yard sales for fun, some people have joint yards with their neighbors and made a party out it.
I have neighbors that have yard sales every summer, it's a great way to meet new neighbors. And kids loves to made money selling stuffs they do not want anymore. Chill out!
What's to chill out? It doesn't bother me in the least. I'm just saying it doesn't hurt to look at all options.

You don't see any !!!!! or ALL CAPS or %$&*# in my posts do you? :lol:

I bet the woman did open it and saw the ring . A honest person would had gone right back to house and given the ring back to the man. My sister and I when to yard sale once and saw a piece of furniture we liked and brought it. We picked it up to put in the car and something started to rattle around inside of it. The guy having the yard sale ran over and open it up and took out a handful of old sliver dollars. They belonged to my sister and me as we brought the furniture , but we did not say anything when I guy took the money. He had forgotten all about the sliver dollars and there where a lot of them. My sister and I did not look inside the furniture and had NO idea there was money in it. The guy should had gone to all pawn shops and looked on line to see it was being sold .

Back