Senate Passes S.3304 Unanimously

DeafDoc1

Premium Member
Reaction score
Senate Passes S. 3304 by Unanimous Consent! | National Association of the Deaf

The U.S. Senate passed the Twenty-first Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010 (S. 3304) on August 5, 2010, by unanimous consent! Thanks to the extraordinary efforts of advocates across the country and in Washington, DC, the Coalition of Organizations for Accessible Technology (COAT), of which the NAD is a leader and steering committee member along with other disability organizations, secured a monumental step forward in accessible technology. Earlier this week, Senator Pryor (D-AR) introduced an amendment to improve S. 3304. S. 3304, as amended, was passed by U.S. Senate by unanimous consent. Like H.R. 3101, which was passed on July 26, 2010, S. 3304 will also:

Require captioned television programs to be captioned when delivered over the Internet.
Authorize the FCC to require 7 hours per week of video description on the top 4 network channels and top 5 cable channels nationwide.
Allocate up to $10 million per year for equipment used by individuals who are deaf-blind.
Require televised emergency information to be accessible to individuals who are blind or have low vision.
Require accessible advanced communications equipment and services, such as text messaging and e-mail.
Require access to Internet services that are built-in to mobile telephone devices, like smart phones, if achievable.
Require devices of any size to be capable of displaying closed captioning, delivering available video description, and making emergency information accessible.
Require accessible user controls for televisions and set-top boxes, and easy access to closed captioning and video description.
And more.
For more information, see the section-by-section summary of what S.3304 (as amended) will do for us at What S.3304 Does For Us | Coalition of Organizations for Accessible Technology.

S. 3304 will now go to the House of Representatives. Our coalition, COAT, supports and expects the House will pass S. 3304 soon. Job well done, everyone! Like the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) 20 years ago, we are making history now!

Note: As soon as a final copy of amended S.3304 is available COAT will post and announce it on the COAT website.

so when cnn.com videos will be subtitled or open captioned?

does it really matter ? open or closed captioned. subtitled or not. I just want and NEED it to be CAPTIONED. It would be great one day to be able to watch tv shows/news captioned via my laptop without extra hardware equipment. on my end.

I would say the best cost effective way is to have a plug in codec for whatever player we use on PC or Apple. This way it will just decode that extra signal in broadcast over internet, instead of each broadcaster to have 2 different versions of videos on thier servers requireing at least double the hard drive space on thier end.

Yes! You will! I am not acknowledge it yet. You can go look at NAD will explain more clear.

There is one thing lacking in this bill (maybe more) and the fight must continue to see that web-based programming is CCed.

There is one thing lacking in this bill (maybe more) and the fight must continue to see that web-based programming is CCed.

Amen. It's frustrating. An no gobbledy-gook like those in Audio Translations, please. :roll:

Amen. It's frustrating. An no gobbledy-gook like those in Audio Translations, please.

Maybe I should have explained more....All TV, again, TV shows shown on the Web must be CCed. However, if someone creates a show on the Web that is NOT on tv, they will most likely not CC it. This is the depths of their resistance.....just like with CCing HD shows on TV...next to impossible....they saw a legal way out....:roll:

Maybe I should have explained more....All TV, again, TV shows shown on the Web must be CCed. However, if someone creates a show on the Web that is NOT on tv, they will most likely not CC it. This is the depths of their resistance.....just like with CCing HD shows on TV...next to impossible....they saw a legal way out....:roll:

Rats. It might be a while before I understand those old Beanie and Cecil shows.

Back