The Homeless

TXgolfer

Dream Weaver
Premium Member
Reaction score
What can we do as individuals to help the homeless? It is a issue I have been working on for the past month and will be one area of focus for my new non-profit venture. Looking for creative ideas that any of you might have.

I will post some of the things I have been working on later in the thread.

What can we do as individuals to help the homeless? It is a issue I have been working on for the past month and will be one area of focus for my new non-profit venture. Looking for creative ideas that any of you might have.

We would need to figure out why they are homeless.

-Battered women. They tend to have to either choose between living in a secure place with issues, or be homeless.

-People who just feel like they have no chance - they just decide to be homeless because they have "no chance" in employment. Could be a cause of their upbringing.

-Addiction. I met a deaf guy in Vegas two weeks ago. He mentioned he played poker with me and that I showed him the exit to the tournament once some time ago. I don't remember him but he lives in Vegas, homeless, mooches SSDI, and loves gambling.

-People who just foreclosed (a spike of recent)...

I would put more focus on battered women. Give them easy way out, set them up with security. Security = jobs, housing, a foundation for them to stand on so they're whole and good. That way they're not homeless, and doing the things women were asking me for in Vegas.... :shock:

Some prefer the stress of finding a warm place to sleep and when their next meal will be over being binded to a contract of apartment-dwelling or home ownership. Apparently it's a different kind of stress.

Some prefer the stress of finding a warm place to sleep and when their next meal will be over being binded to a contract of apartment-dwelling or home ownership. Apparently it's a different kind of stress.

I am one of these. Don't like to be leashed.

simple - talk to them.

We would need to figure out why they are homeless.

-Battered women. They tend to have to either choose between living in a secure place with issues, or be homeless.

-People who just feel like they have no chance - they just decide to be homeless because they have "no chance" in employment. Could be a cause of their upbringing.

-Addiction. I met a deaf guy in Vegas two weeks ago. He mentioned he played poker with me and that I showed him the exit to the tournament once some time ago. I don't remember him but he lives in Vegas, homeless, mooches SSDI, and loves gambling.

-People who just foreclosed (a spike of recent)...

I would put more focus on battered women. Give them easy way out, set them up with security. Security = jobs, housing, a foundation for them to stand on so they're whole and good. That way they're not homeless, and doing the things women were asking me for in Vegas.... :shock:

No doubt the larger problem is beyond my intellect..:lol:

I am seeking to do the small things like get them clothed and fed and perhaps help those who are interested to find work

simple - talk to them.

Been doing that for a month.... I figure since ADers come from all over perhaps they have heard of things that have been sucessful in their area that haven't been tried in mine.

No doubt the larger problem is beyond my intellect..:lol:

I am seeking to do the small things like get them clothed and fed and perhaps help those who are interested to find work

Been doing that for a month.... I figure since ADers come from all over perhaps they have heard of things that have been sucessful in their area that haven't been tried in mine.

Capsule hotels like in Japan.

Good thread...I've never known of a homeless deafie, never seen one either...but I do know of a couple that works at the Homeless Shelter here in Jacksonville. I'm gonna ask some Q's and hoping for some A's as well and will get back to this thread.

Good thread...I've never known of a homeless deafie, never seen one either...but I do know of a couple that works at the Homeless Shelter here in Jacksonville. I'm gonna ask some Q's and hoping for some A's as well and will get back to this thread.

There's a lot. I bump into them regularly.

Most homeless people are alcoholism.

Send them to Alcoholic Rehabilitation Program for free with Government assistance?!

Send them to Alcoholic Rehabilitation Program for free with Government assistance?!

Not true. The rate of alcoholism among the homeless are the same as the rest of the population. However, I agree that federal assistance should be given those willing to get help with drugs/alcohol problems AND counseling. I was homeless for over a year and it was so difficult to get back on my feet.
What I would do, TxGolfer, is to create a place where the homeless could attend for lunch (and to share their experience and ideas), and somehow have mental health professionals be there, if at least for referral. I got back on my feet only after several counseling sessions to get the right frame of mind to take action to get out of my rut.

Those are few and far between, and the vast majority will be diagnosed with a mental illness for which treatment is not available to them.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

The fastest growing population of homeless people is families with children. Why? Job loss. Foreclosure. Eviction.

Not true. The rate of alcoholism among the homeless are the same as the rest of the population. However, I agree that federal assistance should be given those willing to get help with drugs/alcohol problems AND counseling. I was homeless for over a year and it was so difficult to get back on my feet.
What I would do, TxGolfer, is to create a place where the homeless could attend for lunch (and to share their experience and ideas), and somehow have mental health professionals be there, if at least for referral. I got back on my feet only after several counseling sessions to get the right frame of mind to take action to get out of my rut.

Excellent suggestion.

And the sad fact is there are very few places where an indigent person can receive mental health care. That is a huge issue.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

The fastest growing population of homeless people is families with children. Why? Job loss. Foreclosure. Eviction.

I lived in major cities in the past, most homeless people won't accept my food offer. They wanted money, and we all know where that person is going to...liquor store.

I used to lived in homeless there are all hearing and i am only one deaf.. but where is deaf homeless but need new building for deaf homeless.. i dont know if true or not true..

I lived in major cities in the past, most homeless people won't accept my food offer. They wanted money, and we all know where that person is going to...liquor store.

You really have some mistaken ideas about the homeless population in America.

Back