I turned deaf when i was 37.

I wore an hearing aid since birth. i did very well with hearing aids. i have 5% hearing left and hearing aids won't work on me now. When people try to communicate i try to hide my deafness. And when they speak to me i say i don't know. I still feel embarrassed being deaf when i still can speak. its been over 10 years since i turned deaf. How can i adjust to the hearing world being deaf?

That is the kind of hearing impairment that is genetic in my family. You have the exact same experience that I will eventually go through. My father has not been able to hear for over 30 years and he has perfect speech. He just had a CI implant surgery at Emory and it is supposed to restore all of his hearing. I will let you know how it goes; it is activated in mid October

Considering she was both I don't think she was saying she'd rather be one than the other. She said of blindness and deafness, deafness is the worse affliction, or something along those lines. Because of how the impact it has on your relationships with other people.

I think this echoes more deeply to people that are late deafened or did not have a strong support system with friends and family learning ASL. Being deaf is lonelier than being blind.

Last edited:
Considering she was both I don't think she was saying she'd rather be one than the other. She said of blindness and deafness, deafness is the worse affliction, or something along those lines. Because of how the impact it has on your relationships with other people.

I think this echoes more deeply to people that are late deafened or did not have a strong support system with friends and family learning ASL. Being deaf is lonelier than being blind.

She said being deaf cut her off from people
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Helen_Keller

Yes that is what she saying ,..

I rejected CI because its not like normal hearing. Its man made hearing. Whatever happened to an idea to develop bionic hearing? Like remember the Bionic woman?
http://youtu.be/iSxnKHB8stw
I think this should only be available for those who lost their hearing who had hearing experience. Only the ones born deaf get an CI. I wouldn't mind getting super hearing from bionics. Its not cheating. Its communicating to the regular world.

I rejected CI because its not like normal hearing. Its man made hearing. Whatever happened to an idea to develop bionic hearing? Like remember the Bionic woman?
http://youtu.be/iSxnKHB8stw
I think this should only be available for those who lost their hearing who had hearing experience. Only the ones born deaf get an CI. I wouldn't mind getting super hearing from bionics. Its not cheating. Its communicating to the regular world.

My uncle rejected the idea at first but had bilateral CI surgery two years ago - he said it was natural hearing. In fact, he can hear better than his wife now.

I think Helen Kellers was very much isolated from people who are Blind/Deaf. She had no connection with the Deaf communities or with the community of the Blind/Deaf. I don't know but she seem to be more into the hearing world with the help of interpreters like Anne Sullivan and others. She does not like to be alone and she is hungry for being with people for communications. I was glad that she took tactile sign language so that she understood what someone said.

Don't forget that Alexander Graham Bell was her mentor and friend back then. Bleh. :(

My uncle rejected the idea at first but had bilateral CI surgery two years ago - he said it was natural hearing. In fact, he can hear better than his wife now.

Thats not what my Doc told me. He told me i won't hear like i did before.

Yes, because other people corrected you too. My oringal quote to yours was based on post 9, not 15. Wow. :roll:

HELLO! there was NOTHING to correct me for !! Can you get that through your thick head??? !!! I said she would rather had been blind than deaf ,meaning she was both blind and deaf! NO WOW to you . :roll: :roll: :roll: Maybe you should try to read a post before saying anything !

HELLO! there was NOTHING to correct me for !! Can you get that through your thick head??? !!! I said she would rather had been blind than deaf ,meaning she was both blind and deaf! NO WOW to you . :roll: :roll: :roll: Maybe you should try to read a post before saying anything !

:lol:

Thanks folks. Maybe I'm learning something here how to communicate with hearing world. I did have experience with the hearing society. But its not the same when you lose your hearing. Its scary its kinda being left in the dark.

Thats not what my Doc told me. He told me i won't hear like i did before.

That's what I have heard too. I have heard that the db level will be there for you with a CI (e.g. hearing better than many others), but that the actual sound is not the same natural sense it is for a natural hearing person. More mechanical, is what I've been told. Maybe others here can chime in about that.

If stem cells can regenerate the lost nerves inside the cochlea i have a good chance hearing again. But until scientist can develop this ill have stay deaf. Once i decide to get CI theres no going back. The cochlea is removed when CI is implanted. So i decide to keep it as is. Hopefully when that day comes.

Back