what did you learn the hard way?

Glenn

Reaction score
Sometimes experience is the best teacher.

A lesson I learned the hard way was to be extra careful when driving across railroad crossings.

I hadn't had my driver's license long and I was about to cross a set of tracks and looked away for some reason and didn't notice the crossing arm was down and the lights were flashing. I hit the lowered arm with my windshield wipers and windshield. I didn't realize what happened until I was across the tracks.

I just missed getting hit by a train. :eek3:

This was a while ago. I have had a ton of similar lessons along the way.

Does anyone have an experience they'd be willing to share?

Last edited:
How to stand up for myself. I learned how to do this after coming face to face with ignorance at my first summer job.

I think I read about that in here somewhere.

Yes, I made a thread about it. It took everything I had to work up the confidence to confront her. She later got fired. I never once told human resources about the incident and regretted it, so when I was asked to come back to work this year via email, I responded with "yes, but..."

I briefly explained what happened (all I said was that some rude/uneducated remarks were made about my hearing) and asked that they ensure the managers understand their expectations. The human resources coordinator responded telling me that my comments would not go unnoticed and that I should approach her with any future conflicts. At first I thought it was some bogus email sent just to please me, but from what I have heard, they're in the process of making quite change with regards to my department's management.

When I was five, I learned to get a blind dog's attention before you pat it on the head.

I think it was the first time I ever noticed the dog and considered a friendly action towards it. It bit me and I got about ten stitches in my palm.

I really love dogs , but I know the exercise a lot of caution around them now. Especially since I love rescuing abused dogs. :)

When I was five, I learned to get a blind dog's attention before you pat it on the head.

I think it was the first time I ever noticed the dog and considered a friendly action towards it. It bit me and I got about ten stitches in my palm.

I really love dogs , but I know the exercise a lot of caution around them now. Especially since I love rescuing abused dogs. :)
Wow, ten stitches wasn't a little nip.

Yes, I made a thread about it. It took everything I had to work up the confidence to confront her. She later got fired. I never once told human resources about the incident and regretted it, so when I was asked to come back to work this year via email, I responded with "yes, but..."

I briefly explained what happened (all I said was that some rude/uneducated remarks were made about my hearing) and asked that they ensure the managers understand their expectations. The human resources coordinator responded telling me that my comments would not go unnoticed and that I should approach her with any future conflicts. At first I thought it was some bogus email sent just to please me, but from what I have heard, they're in the process of making quite change with regards to my department's management.
Good for you.

Who my real friends are and what a real friend is. When my hearing left so did a lot of bogus women. I have better values and better friends now.

Who my real friends are and what a real friend is. When my hearing left so did a lot of bogus women. I have better values and better friends now.

I just noticed your in Texas and have seen a few of your posts. Are you in San Antonio? I want a deaf friend. I am deaf now but, due to a drug called Deberox. I wear only one HA because my other side doesn't hear sound. I talk like the rest of the hearing population but, rely on verbal cues along with my HA in my right ear.

I learned to cherish every moment in life and be thank for the good and not to dwell on the bad.

My "like" was directed at the last two sentences. It's nice to see so many dog lovers! I'm sure you spoil yours, Botts. ;)

I learned, when I was 10, to not have your hand in the way when a van sliding door is being closed. Got my hand smashed, but luckily, no broken bones.

Also learned to make sure my fingers and the web space at base of thumb is out of the way when sewing with a machine. I have sewn my hand to the fabric at least 3 times that I know of.

Sometimes experience is the best teacher.

A lesson I learned the hard way was to be extra careful when driving across railroad crossings.

I hadn't had my driver's license long and I was about to cross a set of tracks and looked away for some reason and didn't notice the crossing arm was down and the lights were flashing. I hit the lowered arm with my windshield wipers and windshield. I didn't realize what happened until I was across the tracks.

I just missed getting hit by a train. :eek3:

This was a while ago. I have had a ton of similar lessons along the way.

Does anyone have an experience they'd be willing to share?
Wow!

I have sewn my hand to the fabric at least 3 times that I know of.

Ow, ow, ow!!!! That sounds awfully painful!! I think I'll stick to knitting and crochet - no injuries yet.

My grandfather was the one that told me...."a hard head makes a soft a--"....I never knew the true meaning of that until I got older! :giggle:...and he was quick to whip out his leather razor strap that he used for disobedience....

I was a hard-headed kid...learned everything the hard way. I rebelled at everything....had to have the "last word", etc....

Once, I flicked a lighter on and held it under my fingernail to see if it would hurt.....drove my car without any oil...and it blew up....smoked cigarettes, sneaked out at night...cut school just 1 time....got suspended for wearing mini skirts toooo short....dyed my hair green (when green wasn't cool)....the list goes on and on.

You've got the memories that will keep you smiling when you're rocking in front of the fire in your old age, though. So there's always that. :lol:

Make sure car painting equipment is sealed before you apply pressurized pneumatics to it. You might go blind for two weeks.

(Yes, this happened to me.)

You are the winner of the "pain and suffering" award. Yikes!! I bet you were terrified. That's quite the lesson to learn!

When I was 5 - learned it really is not a good idea to go exploring with your brother and follow the railroad tracks to wherever they take you. Mamma doesn't like it when you are missing for two hours.

Back