Goofs and gaffes by newly deaf?

I forgot to turn off the water in the kitchen sink when the hot water ran out, because when I took a hot shower, I realized that the " hot " water was out. I had to wait for another hour for it to re-heat water. :squint:

Of course, I am totally deaf! :lol:

I forgot to turn off the water in the kitchen sink when the hot water ran out, because when I took a hot shower, I realized that the " hot " water was out. I had to wait for another hour for it to re-heat water. :squint:

Of course, I am totally deaf! :lol:

brrrrr! :cold:

too many times!

When I could fully hear, I often boiled off pots of pasta and such. Since I've starting really losing my hearing I have:

1. locked my boyfriend out of the house - more than a few times - and, while I'm sitting in the house wondering "where the heck is he?" - he's outside screaming and throwing rocks at the windows because I'm not hearing the phone ring.

2. locked my kitties on the porch and didn't hear them meowing to come back in. I've done this so often that Tiggerz freaks if he sees me even touching the door and zips back in the house in a panic.

3. turned the tv up and up and up and "what is wrong with this thing?" and then I remember I'm deaf.

4. answered the phone (on vibrate). I tell everyone to send me text messages but some forget... so now if I do answer the phone accidentally I just say "chhhh you're breaking chhh up... " and hang up. I recently changed my voicemail message to say "don't bother to leave a message because I won't be able to hear it". LOL

5. said hello to people at the store, on the street, at a coffee shop, etc... just to be nice/polite and then have to tell them I'm deaf because they think I've opened a conversation and start chatting away at me.

6. went round and round on the bus because I kept missing my stop - I was reading a book and listening for the bell. Doh!

In a similar vein....

I had a student who didn't have internet at home and asked me if he could have my office phone # so he could call me to discuss his paper. I said sure, gave him the number, and then snickered all the way home. The next class he asked me why I didn't return his call. I said "Well I'm deaf - I don't use the phone". He turned bright red and emailed me the next day. :giggle:

I was in on an airplane gazing out the window. Suddenly someone poked my shoulder hard and I turned around in time to 'hear' the attendants lips say "Are you deaf? I've been asking what you want to drink!". I said "as a matter of fact I am deaf and I'll take a glass of red wine in a first class seat". She was so embarrassed that she actually upgraded me. :ty:

I have sat at a red light before with a fire truck blaring behind me to move out of the way. Heard the Horn, but he was right on my tail. I got out of the way in the turning lane. geez! I know I must have pissed them off that day. Got a dirty look from them as they were passing me when I got out of the way.

I think they should have a special sticker or decal to put in a dedicated spot on the front and rear windshield for the deaf and hard of hearing that drive. Might eliminate some of the road rage.
I can just see the reaction to my carpool riders to something like that.

When I could fully hear, I often boiled off pots of pasta and such. Since I've starting really losing my hearing I have:

1. locked my boyfriend out of the house - more than a few times - and, while I'm sitting in the house wondering "where the heck is he?" - he's outside screaming and throwing rocks at the windows because I'm not hearing the phone ring.

2. locked my kitties on the porch and didn't hear them meowing to come back in. I've done this so often that Tiggerz freaks if he sees me even touching the door and zips back in the house in a panic.

3. turned the tv up and up and up and "what is wrong with this thing?" and then I remember I'm deaf.

4. answered the phone (on vibrate). I tell everyone to send me text messages but some forget... so now if I do answer the phone accidentally I just say "chhhh you're breaking chhh up... " and hang up. I recently changed my voicemail message to say "don't bother to leave a message because I won't be able to hear it". LOL

5. said hello to people at the store, on the street, at a coffee shop, etc... just to be nice/polite and then have to tell them I'm deaf because they think I've opened a conversation and start chatting away at me.

6. went round and round on the bus because I kept missing my stop - I was reading a book and listening for the bell. Doh!

In a similar vein....

I had a student who didn't have internet at home and asked me if he could have my office phone # so he could call me to discuss his paper. I said sure, gave him the number, and then snickered all the way home. The next class he asked me why I didn't return his call. I said "Well I'm deaf - I don't use the phone". He turned bright red and emailed me the next day. :giggle:

I was in on an airplane gazing out the window. Suddenly someone poked my shoulder hard and I turned around in time to 'hear' the attendants lips say "Are you deaf? I've been asking what you want to drink!". I said "as a matter of fact I am deaf and I'll take a glass of red wine in a first class seat". She was so embarrassed that she actually upgraded me. :ty:

Great stories! Thanks for sharing them. Nice to know I'm not alone. :laugh2:

I think they should have a special sticker or decal to put in a dedicated spot on the front and rear windshield for the deaf and hard of hearing that drive. Might eliminate some of the road rage.
I can just see the reaction to my carpool riders to something like that.

Interesting suggestion, but I'm not sure I want to advertise that I'm deaf....

I agree.... that might lead to alot more of fingers than I actually deserve.

Is it just me or does most everybody driving these days seems to be oblivious to others on the road ? It seems like no one uses directionals and nearly all have a get-out-of-my-way mentality.

We probably drive better than most since we are just that much more attuned to paying attention and actually looking around when we drive.

I agree.... that might lead to alot more of fingers than I actually deserve.

Is it just me or does most everybody driving these days seems to be oblivious to others on the road ? It seems like no one uses directionals and nearly all have a get-out-of-my-way mentality.

We probably drive better than most since we are just that much more attuned to paying attention and actually looking around when we drive.

Oh, I sooo agree. One of my friends asked me if I still drive, and if I feel safe. I told her I'm probably safer than most people since I'm not distracted by the cell phone, radio, chatting, etc.

I still leave the water running. Thinking I turned it off with a twist of the knob. Later my Hubby would tell me "you left the water running!"

Born deaf and I still leave the water running.

lol me too!

LOL that's so mean but LOL

:-o ssshhhhiiiieeeeetttt I'm gonna try that next time I fly.

I've left the water running, and I've tried to start the car when it's already running. I've been watching TV on full blast at 3am and my dad comes up telling me about it. I've since put a plug in the headphone jack so it makes no noise no matter the volume setting. I've missed a lot of text messages and instant messages. I've done loads of other noobish things.

Back