Do you believe in Stock Market?

Lighthouse77

Reaction score
Just curious.

In case, you didn't know, there is a game called "Pit" can teach you a few things about stock market.

The stock market is GREAT! Better know what you are doing though.

I don't.

Too many people suffer under it.

Oh really, I'm against privatization of Social Security because they will go bankrupt or run out of money during financial crisis in 2008-2009.

I don't.

Too many people suffer under it.

That is because they are uninformed. The market is not for everyone. It takes alot of homework. Even if you use financial analysts it take a great deal of homework in picking one.

Oh really, I'm against privatization of Social Security because they will go bankrupt or run out of money during financial crisis in 2008-2009.

The parameters required for investing social security would have resulted in minimal damage.

The greater risk to social security is the baby boomer generation and the broadening definition of disability.

As I am sure you realize, we do not have a safe and protected account with social security. Our benefits are dependent on others paying into the system in the future.

If this situation sounds familiar it should. Bernie Madoff's scheme was similar. There is a reason it is illegal in the private sector. It eventually fails. Social Security will eventually fail as well. And when it does it is going to take an unbelievable tax increase to bail us out.

Not everyone lost money in 2008/2009. Many people (including me) got out of the market in Feb 2008 after the events of Feb 5th. That is also when I decided to retire.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) 320x320; XV6900; Window Mobile 6.1 Professional;)

Lighthouse77 said:
Just curious.

In case, you didn't know, there is a game called "Pit" can teach you a few things about stock market.

Let me put it this way - how much volitality can you handle? You have to read up on the industries you are interested in, you can't just put money on shares based on unproven intuition. You don't go to a store and blindly buy something randomly, do you? Plus, it helps to establish a portfolio, spread it out in various commodities.

I'm thinking about CEOs and people's job at stake. Whenever a company decide to go public, they quit caring about the company, customers, and the employees, and start caring about the stock market. It seem to me that the stock market became their customers.

I'm thinking about CEOs and people's job at stake. Whenever a company decide to go public, they quit caring about the company, customers, and the employees, and start caring about the stock market. It seem to me that the stock market became their customers.

Interesting point. I am sure that happens some......But I think most companies know they depend on their customers and employees to make things work.

I think it happen to alot. They try to make their company look very profitable and even select a CEO who is more likely to shred the company apart. But he wouldn't care because it make him look good as a CEO. He have very little interests in the company itself. This is where employees get hurt and even laid off. Their jobs even get sent overseas because it all about what look good in the stock market. I may be wrong about how it works, but this is what I'm seeing.

That has very little to do with the stock market. That's business in general. The idea is to make a profit. When employers send jobs out of the country it is merely a sign that the American worker is overpriced. This is one area where government could help by taxing companies that outsource. But the cost of that companies goods are likely to go up as well.

The Stock Market is weird. It is nothing more than legalized gambling, and the mood of the country's citizens directly affects it. Anyone notice that? What a friend we have in capitalism! :P

The Stock Market is weird. It is nothing more than legalized gambling, and the mood of the country's citizens directly affects it. Anyone notice that? What a friend we have in capitalism! :P

True with Futures and Options....Not the case with actual stock. There is equity unlike gambling (which I also do alot of). Now for people who are willing to dump their money with advisors and just open the statement every month it's pretty risky. For those that don't do their homework they might as well "bet on black"

I'm just alittle upset about one company, who started private, and build their headquarter locally. The people around here took pride in it.. Then one day, they decided to go public ( they were doing pretty decent so I don't know why they decided to go public) and they hire one CEO after another because it is what the shareholders/board of directors wanted. The current CEO of this company wanted to move the whole headquarters to a bigger city because he love his city. He did not like ours (he didn't want to move to our city) . our city is depended on this headquarter so we gave the CEO a hard time about that, writing new articles and everything. That's when he started to back off and say he is only going to move a portional of headquarter to where he is living. Then he hired people who promise to cut cost afterall, the CEO is after his own self... he need to look good on the short-term to the stockmarket so he can move on to another business, not caring what long-term damage he done to it. I seeing the business is slowly being shredding and pull apart and it is sad. Sorry, I had to vent.

The parameters required for investing social security would have resulted in minimal damage.

The greater risk to social security is the baby boomer generation and the broadening definition of disability.

As I am sure you realize, we do not have a safe and protected account with social security. Our benefits are dependent on others paying into the system in the future.

If this situation sounds familiar it should. Bernie Madoff's scheme was similar. There is a reason it is illegal in the private sector. It eventually fails. Social Security will eventually fail as well. And when it does it is going to take an unbelievable tax increase to bail us out.

Not everyone lost money in 2008/2009. Many people (including me) got out of the market in Feb 2008 after the events of Feb 5th. That is also when I decided to retire.

It wouldn't work if we put social security into stock market and investment because we had market stock crash before, especially in late 1920's until 1940's and again in 1987 so social security will running out of fund after financial crisis in 2008 and would leading to loan needed to fund the SS.

I already know about SS is dependent on workers that pay to retired Americans, also there is 401k but useless for people who work at minimum wage, including me and couldn't afford to put my money in 401k because need pay my living expenses. I think about should be other mandatory pension, that where all workers should to pay pension (worker based) depends on their income like minimum wage workers should pay 5% of their pension, that what I think about UK, Canada and some part of EU has one so I need ask Canadians/EU members to confirm about understanding of pensions because I just found out from UK/Canada members in other forum in few years ago.

In other way, I support reform the SS, not privatization because I don't trust them to put SS in stock market, even I noticed about 401k has went down during financial crisis, even happened to my mother and she lost several thousands in 401k. It would be increase SS tax, increase retirement age, adopt UK/EU style tax system, that what I know about many Americans don't want so adopt UK/EU style tax system is out of range but just suggestion, tackle the SS fraud if still issue like Medicare did. I can't believe about our government haven't fix the Medicare fraud that caused lost over billion dollars or rid of SS/Medicare but I wouldn't support rid of SS/Medicare because I need SS (SSI) to survive due college student and unable to work.

I'm personally believe that US will be face other financial crisis eventually because our politicians don't get along nor agree about fiscal and budget, it is obviously about both of GOP and Dem are party of nowhere, IMO.

It wouldn't work if we put social security into stock market and investment because we had market stock crash before, especially in late 1920's until 1940's and again in 1987 so social security will running out of fund after financial crisis in 2008 and would leading to loan needed to fund the SS.

I already know about SS is dependent on workers that pay to retired Americans, also there is 401k but useless for people who work at minimum wage, including me and couldn't afford to put my money in 401k because need pay my living expenses. I think about should be other mandatory pension, that where all workers should to pay pension (worker based) depends on their income like minimum wage workers should pay 5% of their pension, that what I think about UK, Canada and some part of EU has one so I need ask Canadians/EU members to confirm about understanding of pensions because I just found out from UK/Canada members in other forum in few years ago.

In other way, I support reform the SS, not privatization because I don't trust them to put SS in stock market, even I noticed about 401k has went down during financial crisis, even happened to my mother and she lost several thousands in 401k. It would be increase SS tax, increase retirement age, adopt UK/EU style tax system, that what I know about many Americans don't want so adopt UK/EU style tax system is out of range but just suggestion, tackle the SS fraud if still issue like Medicare did. I can't believe about our government haven't fix the Medicare fraud that caused lost over billion dollars or rid of SS/Medicare but I wouldn't support rid of SS/Medicare because I need SS (SSI) to survive due college student and unable to work.

I'm personally believe that US will be face other financial crisis eventually because our politicians don't get along nor agree about fiscal and budget, it is obviously about both of GOP and Dem are party of nowhere, IMO.

Surely you realize that their are different levels of risk. Considering funds would be invested over 40 years for most recipients the risk level needed to fund SS accounts would be very low. In fact they most likely would not have lost any money in the last market decline.

Secondly, the risk of the baby boomers destroying social security is a far greater risk than a market decline. The ripple effect of damage due to baby boomers would be felt throughout the economy with necessary tax increases to cover the differential. A market decline however, would have years to adjust so there would be no economic impact unless the downturn lasted decades.

It's amazing, the left is all for giving people a choice in what to do with a fetus yet they don't want to give people a choice when it comes to their money.

Surely you realize that their are different levels of risk. Considering funds would be invested over 40 years for most recipients the risk level needed to fund SS accounts would be very low. In fact they most likely would not have lost any money in the last market decline.

Secondly, the risk of the baby boomers destroying social security is a far greater risk than a market decline. The ripple effect of damage due to baby boomers would be felt throughout the economy with necessary tax increases to cover the differential. A market decline however, would have years to adjust so there would be no economic impact unless the downturn lasted decades.

It's amazing, the left is all for giving people a choice in what to do with a fetus yet they don't want to give people a choice when it comes to their money.

Apples and oranges, apples and oranges. I am surprised at you, lol.

Last edited:

You are obviously right about baby boomers has done to damage to SS than market decline and much changes is needed.

If you said investment in SS is low risk so go for it and I would like to get around to solve the SS issue in future due baby boomers.

Back