Hey, everyone! I'm HoH, and new to this site (:

I'm not the only one here! found out my mom went deaf October 2014 and I also have a grandmother who's just like me :)

Losing a parent isn't typically easy by any means, even if the relationship was rocky. Hope all is well on your end.

As for how things are; they are better than when i was younger, by degrees. But not good, yet. Whoever your teacher is, i wish i could shake her hand. She made a huge difference for someone who was isolated by a disability they had no control over.

And me? I help myself wherever i can. I'd rather not depend on others. I feel i do fairly well for what i have.

I am 69 yo and things were a lot difference when I was a student so I keep hoping it would a lot easier for deaf and hoh students today to get the support they need .

Hello it's nice to meet you Samuel my name's Linda I've known ASL for awhile but I'm still not fluent I may not know what you had to go through but I can always be a friend :) I live in Virgina hoping to attend Gallaudet University in fall.

As a child, i thought the same about myself; until i witnessed a girl with hearing aids on her way to the bus in my sophomore year of middle school. Ever since that day, i made sure to look at the ears (or behind the ears) of every person i met or saw. It made me feel slightly less alone in my very silent world.

And yes, i have lived in NC all my life. I need a change, so i am arranging to attend GU in the fall. :c]

GU as in Gally? That would be SO AMAZING!

I am 69 yo and things were a lot difference when I was a student so I keep hoping it would a lot easier for deaf and hoh students today to get the support they need .

It's a mix. The system is broken with both tracks.....I think if they upgraded Deaf Schools so most of them were parental referral, encouraged parents to start out their kid at a deaf school in a K-3 setting (rather then it being the last resort placement), improved academics and worked with the public school system,(as opposed to being treated like it's completely separate) we might be able to get to actually EDUCATING the dhh kids, and providing them services instead of them having to play "catch up"

Hello it's nice to meet you Samuel my name's Linda I've known ASL for awhile but I'm still not fluent I may not know what you had to go through but I can always be a friend :) I live in Virgina hoping to attend Gallaudet University in fall.
Nice to meet you, too; Linda :) GU will be awesome! I can't wait to meet people who will be able to understand me, and why i am the way i am. Specifically, the huge effect that my being HoH has had on my life. Are you Hearing?

How much ASL do you know? I took a class at CPCC, but gave up because nobody would practice with me. I was the only HoH in m class -_____-

I am hearing I've been studying ASL for a few years I live in the general area though and only have to take the metro to get to GU

Nice to meet you, too; Linda :) GU will be awesome! I can't wait to meet people who will be able to understand me, and why i am the way i am. Specifically, the huge effect that my being HoH has had on my life. Are you Hearing?

ONG you're going to feel like " I'm HOME!" Don't feel shy...a lot of HOH kids come to Gally new to Sign.....

I expect that i won't want to leave :3 i hope i've found someone to practice ASL with, long before i go to GU.. I don't want to be new to sign even up until i go there.

Hey....I was born very premature and doc's told my mom I was missing inner ear bones and they checked hearing but don't know what they did or if they missed any mild loss. I spoke very late and was in Special Ed. for speech and language; I gestured a lot as child. I also possibly have CAPD ,though not diagnosed. Have always been an extremely visual person, think in pictures, rely on visual more than auditory to process info. I was mainstreamed with an IEP and in Resource Room; badly physically and emotionally bullied up through high school.
Due to un-diagnosed learning disabilities as well, always felt alone and misunderstood lots of things it seemed other kids "got", I didn't. Was socially and physically awkward and cried easily.

High school was much better cuz I went to a small, arts-oriented high school where everybody was "different" <also "out" kids and teachers - am bi> and kids mostly wanted to be professionals in their arts field of interest< dance, visual art/photography, music or theater>; no teams sports except tennis, which was a minor activity. I 'd always been forced to play team sports and never understood the process or directions and was always afraid.
I wanted to go to that other high school , farther from our house, not so much as I truly LOVED visual art - though I did spend hours and drawing horses and dogs - but because I want to simply- survive. And i knew that if I went to high school that students in my area of the city where I grew up - usually went, well, things would probably go from bad to worse. So I auditioned to get into that high school instead, and did.

I was diagnosed with LD in college after continually failing remedial college math.
also in college worked part-time with kids with severe autism, emotional/behavioral disabilities and kids who were d/Deaf, at a summer enrichment program.
There, introduced to and learned small amount of ASL; first yr, program had CODA Supervisor...second and third years, Deaf staff <though the Supervisor had left>.

Met hub in college, he's oral hh/deaf, mainstream solitaire. Raised by adoptive parents in small, rural town as Hearing. He's very literal, very speech-mind, mechanical, kinda-thinking, very talented in anything techie or electronic.
We use a tiny amount of home signs at home and a few basic ones out and about but he doesn't sign though he took ASL class with me a couple of years ago, taught by Deaf teachers.
First time in the all the time I've taken classes, he took one with me:D

I was aware I started losing my hearing about 5 years ago when I couldn't hear him during dog training. Went to his audi office and did test, found mild loss.

I'm an only child...dog trainer and animal shelter volunteer. I live with 2 Rotties.

Back