Hey, everyone! I'm HoH, and new to this site (:

TrippyMoods22

Reaction score
Good evening, to those of you who are reading this! My name is Samuel, and i have been HoH since birth. I got hearing aids at the age of six, and have led a largely isolated life in the hearing community, due to my disability, or whatever you would like to call it. I came here in the hopes of finding others who share similar experiences as I, because i'm fed up with feeling so ALONE. I sit in a room full of people and, although i have no problem with starting conversation with strangers, there is no point in doing so, because far too many are unwilling to bridge the gap and meet me halfway. So us HoH's need you to repeat yourself? Big deal -____- it's not like we are asking you to drop everything and come to our aid. We just want to be included... :( But i digress. I want to meet up with people on this site so that i can learn (and become fluent) in ASL. Is there anybody who'd like to chat for awhile, over some social platform, until comfortable with meeting IRL? Would prefer those whom are between two years older or younger than I, or the same age. Whichever, as long as the age gap isnt SO great that we are unable to truly relate. Hope to hear from you soon! Ha ha, no pun intended:cool2: and that was lame, but y'know. I love corny jokes and bad puns :D

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting here. See you around. :wave:

Sounds so familiar...... Did you grow up the only HOH kid? Again, it just seems so silly that we HOH kids weren't given all that much as kids, simply b/c our audiograms showed a lot of residual hearing....it was basicly " sit in front of the class, speech therapy and maybe a notetaker or a TOD."
Welcome to the Deaf community! There are a lot like you here!

Hello! Hope you like it here. I am one of the few blabbering mouth hearies. :)

Anyway welcome. :laugh2:

deafdyke: thank you! :3 it's nice to feel like i'm not alone, even if only slightly. My parents gave me EEG's, speech therapy, psychiatrists, tried to call me into their room (or whichever room they were in) by shouting; despite the fact that i either didn't hear them, heard them and chose to ignore them til they met me halfway, or simply pretended i was asleep so they'd shut up. I never talk at work because it's so noisy that it is futile to try to understand any replies without asking them (my coworkers) to repeat themselves. Sigh.. but i digress. How about you guys? What was it like for you? (growing up HoH)

Wazzup trippy? Lol I'm just suffering from a bit of insomnia... it's 3am here. Lol. Why are you up? :)

I'm up because my girlfriend Molly gives me insomnia (; Lol that, and i won't stop networking until i find someone to practice ASL with me. Even if i pass out face-first onto my laptop keyboard, i'm gonna find them!! Hahah, ugh i'm so tired but i can't sleep. I want to talk :D

Haha I think most people are sleeping. They should be up in a few hours when you finally pass out. :) I would help entertain but sadly I'm very new and I don't currently have an application for my phone to use. I'll get there eventually. :)

That sound familial , my dad would call me from downstairs in the kitchen
when I was upstairs with my bedroom door close. The doors were solid wood and I got in trouble for answering my dad fast enough. Was there a reason you got your first hearing at 6 yo ? I got mine at 8 yo b/c no one knew I was HOH all that time. Hi !

That sound familial , my dad would call me from downstairs in the kitchen
when I was upstairs with my bedroom door close. The doors were solid wood and I got in trouble for answering my dad fast enough. Was there a reason you got your first hearing at 6 yo ? I got mine at 8 yo b/c no one knew I was HOH all that time. Hi !
Yeesh, your dad sounds like a hard-ass. I got my HA's at six because it took them awhile to save up for them (they are super expensive) 2 grand apiece. Very few in the hearing community seem to care if you have a disability, as long as they don't have to accomodate you. SMH!

Yeesh, your dad sounds like a hard-ass. I got my HA's at six because it took them awhile to save up for them (they are super expensive) 2 grand apiece. Very few in the hearing community seem to care if you have a disability, as long as they don't have to accomodate you. SMH!

My dad was a hardass he is dead . Yes HA are very expensive , if you're still in school or working voc rehab may help with the cost of HA when you need new. That is awful the hearing community is not supported , I was hoping things would be better than when I was a younger, I am 69 yo. There was no support for deaf or hoh students . I did luck out I had a teacher you realize
I was hoh and she gave me hearing test after school . I was 8 yo and had stayed back I first grade and was failing my second year in first grade. I am really lucky my teacher was smart enough to test my hearing . So I hate hearing you are not getting the you need so many years later.

Losing a parent isn't typically easy by any means, even if the relationship was rocky. Hope all is well on your end.

As for how things are; they are better than when i was younger, by degrees. But not good, yet. Whoever your teacher is, i wish i could shake her hand. She made a huge difference for someone who was isolated by a disability they had no control over.

And me? I help myself wherever i can. I'd rather not depend on others. I feel i do fairly well for what i have.

deafdyke: thank you! :3 it's nice to feel like i'm not alone, even if only slightly. My parents gave me EEG's, speech therapy, psychiatrists, tried to call me into their room (or whichever room they were in) by shouting; despite the fact that i either didn't hear them, heard them and chose to ignore them til they met me halfway, or simply pretended i was asleep so they'd shut up. I never talk at work because it's so noisy that it is futile to try to understand any replies without asking them (my coworkers) to repeat themselves. Sigh.. but i digress. How about you guys? What was it like for you? (growing up HoH)

I know... they remember about the HOH stuff, but generally don't remember about additional stuff (like exposure to other dhh kids, Sign, the option of deaf ed and so on)
When I was in elementary school I thought I was the ONLY HOH kid in the world. Still angers me that I missed out on SO MUCH and had to "fake it" as a hearing person.

Have you been in NC all your life? It doesn't surprise me that you got immersed and forgotten about in the hearing world... I think outside of the cities Deaf ed isn't very good in NC. Even the main Deaf school isn't very good from what I understand...(like it pretty much fullfils all the stereotypes of Bad Deaf Schools) Not sure about Eastern North Carolina School for the Deaf.

I know... they remember about the HOH stuff, but generally don't remember about additional stuff (like exposure to other dhh kids, Sign, the option of deaf ed and so on)
When I was in elementary school I thought I was the ONLY HOH kid in the world. Still angers me that I missed out on SO MUCH and had to "fake it" as a hearing person.
As a child, i thought the same about myself; until i witnessed a girl with hearing aids on her way to the bus in my sophomore year of middle school. Ever since that day, i made sure to look at the ears (or behind the ears) of every person i met or saw. It made me feel slightly less alone in my very silent world.

And yes, i have lived in NC all my life. I need a change, so i am arranging to attend GU in the fall. :c]

Back