Healthy snack

I've had coconut, soy, rice and almond milk yogurt as well as goat's milk and yak's milk yogurt. All very different. I generally avoid dairy.
Many commercial yogurts found in grocery stores still have high amounts of refined sugar or honey in them and/or high fructose corn syrup, all of which have potential issues. Honey is the least problematic but still can be very refined and high glycemic depending on what type of honey it is.
Best to get un-sweetened yogurt and add your own fruit to it.

Milk is dairy! Like Kristina said, there are alternatives like almond, soy, coconut milk.

I am a vegan but I don't try to convert anyone, including my own bacon-loving sons :) I believe it's a choice one has to want to make for themselves.

yea i understand. some people do.

curious how do you substitle for calium and Vit D ?

vegetables and sunshine :)

Canned sardines are also very high in calcium.

Sources of Calcium

Ask most people about the best source of calcium and they will probably say "cow's milk". Cow's milk does contain calcium but, as we have seen, calcium needs sufficient vitamin D in order to be properly utilised by the body and cow's milk actually contains very little vitamin D. In the USA most cow's milk is actually fortified with added vitamin D to enable the body to absorb more of the calcium that the milk contains.

One of the very best sources of calcium is tofu whilst others include vegetables such as curly kale, okra, horseradish and watercress. You can also get significant amounts from red kidney beans, soya beans, petit pois, broccoli, cabbage, celery and parsnips too. In addition, calcium is also found in many other staple foods including bread. Most soya drinks are also calcium-enriched as are some other soya products and breakfast cereals too. The calcium contained in these fortified foods will be utilised most effectively where they also contain added vitamin D too.

My Silk brand Almond milk has more calcium and Vit D than regular milk. But, I also take a Calcium supplement with Vit D. And, I spend at least 1-2 hours outside getting my sunshine for extra measure.

Sources of Calcium

Ask most people about the best source of calcium and they will probably say "cow's milk". Cow's milk does contain calcium but, as we have seen, calcium needs sufficient vitamin D in order to be properly utilised by the body and cow's milk actually contains very little vitamin D. In the USA most cow's milk is actually fortified with added vitamin D to enable the body to absorb more of the calcium that the milk contains.

One of the very best sources of calcium is tofu whilst others include vegetables such as curly kale, okra, horseradish and watercress. You can also get significant amounts from red kidney beans, soya beans, petit pois, broccoli, cabbage, celery and parsnips too. In addition, calcium is also found in many other staple foods including bread. Most soya drinks are also calcium-enriched as are some other soya products and breakfast cereals too. The calcium contained in these fortified foods will be utilised most effectively where they also contain added vitamin D too.

Please see bolded. I thought you said you are vegan and sardines are fish.

Please see bolded. I thought you said you are vegan and sardines are fish.

I am vegan but that doesn't mean I can't mention that canned sardines are high sources of calcium. Frisky asked for other sources of calcium and I answered.

I am vegan but that doesn't mean I can't mention that canned sardines are high sources of calcium. Frisky asked for other sources of calcium and I answered.

Sorry I thought you were talking about what you eat.

Sources of Calcium

First, I learn something about canned sardines but I dont eat sardines. :lol: horseradish suace or cheese? lol I loveee horseradish both, sauce and cheese unless you mean something else. So i had to ask about it.

I see what you just list of food that I do eat too. *whew* unfortunately where i live is lack of sunny! :squint: ha what your list of food that most of them that i do eat. :D thanks and appreciate your time to post it here.

I don't eat yoplait because of some things in there(I've heard flavored yogurts are not healthy), but I do eat non-fat Greek yogurt. It's really good for making onion dip without sour cream.

I'm actually thinking of doing an Indian Shrimp Masala with it as a cream substitute, but haven't gotten around to doing an Indian dinner yet.

I buy plain yogurts too and add my own fruits , the flavored yogurts are loaded with sugar and way too sweet.

Where did you hear that? I eat Yoplait Light a lot! My nutritionist said a 6oz ANY yogurt is great for a snack and can be substituted for a glass of milk. I buy all different flavors and Yoplait is one of the few who actually use real fruit.

Wrong some yogurt do not have live active cultures,like L. acidophilus,. I buy Stonyfield Farm yogurt. I don't think Yoplait has active cultures in it.

I had to change since I am now allergic to cow's dairy.

We now drink raw milk. Some friends of ours were visiting and they said that pasteurized milk gave their kids allergic reactions, but raw milk didn't.

Doesn't work for everybody, of course, and a good source of raw milk can be hard to find. We get ours from a young family with two or three cows they keep on pasture and hay. It's so good.

We now drink raw milk. Some friends of ours were visiting and they said that pasteurized milk gave their kids allergic reactions, but raw milk didn't.
interesting. I didn't know we can drink raw milk. I thought it would be full of bacteria, etc.

Doesn't work for everybody, of course, and a good source of raw milk can be hard to find. We get ours from a young family with two or three cows they keep on pasture and hay. It's so good.
why not? tastes too different?

interesting. I didn't know we can drink raw milk. I thought it would be full of bacteria, etc.

With reasonable care, raw milk is less likely to harbor harmful bacteria than your deli meats, and it's far more healthy than pasteurized milk.
Some info here.

Raw milk has living enzymes and vitamins and other good for you stuff (including, like yogurt, good cultures for digestion). Cooking it kills the good stuff.

Raw milk usually comes from more sustainable, responsible, humane farms as well, so the cows are healthier.

Store-bought milk is also homogenized, which is seriously bad news for your arteries.

why not? tastes too different?

It does taste different, but everybody I know prefers the taste of raw milk. Once you've had it, the other stuff tastes overcooked, flat, and a little stale.

But people are allergic to milk for different reasons, so some people with dairy allergies still can't handle any milk, raw or otherwise. But quite a few people find their dairy allergy goes away when they drink raw milk, especially milk fed on pasture instead of milk fed on corn (which is most of the milk in the store).

It's not legal in every state. I don't know if it's legal in Canada at all. In my state it's only legal if you own the cow or you buy it for pet consumption, so our jars of milk have a big label that says 'not for human consumption.'

It's not easy to find, either. We live in a rural area, so it was easier for us.

The story behind milk regulations is a long and interesting one. This last year the government spent untold thousands of dollars running a couple of 'sting' operations, complete with armed raids and undercover operations against a couple of amish farmers who didn't do anything but sell raw milk to customers who wanted it. Nobody had gotten sick from their milk. The FDA just didn't want those dangerous Amish guys selling raw milk.

So in addition to the awesome flavor and wonderful health benefits, we get to be subversives, too.

Raw milk does have a different taste... it tastes more natural, but also has a bit of a grainy aftertaste in my opinion.

I bought mine from an Amish farm... hehe had no idea I was being subversive!!! Now I want to do it more often... :giggle:

I don't know if it's legal in Canada at all.

To answer your question, it is strictly prohibited. Don't even try to convince the government to repel the ban. Otherwise, they'll find a way to send you up north only to be never heard from again.

Some states in the U.S. do allow the sale of raw milk as long as it's labeled as such .
My state's not one. I know a few people who do cowshares,, though-

Caroline, I like all those veggies and beans you mention.
I do also like sardines but don't often eat them.
The almond and soy milk subs I use in place of dairy are available in a wide variety but I almost always get the "enriched" ones with the calcium, etc.

I don't remember where I initially read this but I did read a study that alleged that many of the common commercial yogurt brands didn't have the live cultures the label said they did. Some brands are heat-treated and this kills the cultures. Here's more info. on that: Live and Active Culture (LAC) Yogurt Facts

Some states in the U.S. do allow the sale of raw milk as long as it's labeled as such .
My state's not one. I know a few people who do cowshares,, though-

Caroline, I like all those veggies and beans you mention.
I do also like sardines but don't often eat them.
The almond and soy milk subs I use in place of dairy are available in a wide variety but I almost always get the "enriched" ones with the calcium, etc.

I don't remember where I initially read this but I did read a study that alleged that many of the common commercial yogurt brands didn't have the live cultures the label said they did. Some brands are heat-treated and this kills the cultures. Here's more info. on that: Live and Active Culture (LAC) Yogurt Facts

It's a safe bet that most commercial brand yoghurts don't have live culture.

I just learned that Whole Foods is forced to accept produce from Monsanto...meaning they have to buy M's genetically modified vegetables and fruits. Just a heads up for anyone who shops at Whole Foods.

It's a safe bet that most commercial brand yoghurts don't have live culture.

I just learned that Whole Foods is forced to accept produce from Monsanto...meaning they have to buy M's genetically modified vegetables and fruits. Just a heads up for anyone who shops at Whole Foods.

I sop there for specific items and haven't bought any produce or things like that. Also, at my Whole Foods, they do have large signs saying where the product is from. I get my special mils, yogurts, cheese, ice cream, nuts and frozen foods from them.

I sop there for specific items and haven't bought any produce or things like that. Also, at my Whole Foods, they do have large signs saying where the product is from. I get my special mils, yogurts, cheese, ice cream, nuts and frozen foods from them.

Ok, don't know if you knew this already but Monsanto won the right not to label their produce as GMO which means when you buy produce in the store, you would have no idea if its GMO or not. Most of the produce at Walmart is GMO, most dry goods (packaged foods) have GMO ingredients. Just a heads up.

Back