Dynasty: The TV Series

Cousin Vinny

Reaction score
Recently, there was a discussion on a forum about Dynasty, a soap opera that aired on ABC during primetime hours in the early to mid-1980's. For you young-uns who don't know what I'm jibber-jabbering about, click on this IMDB link:

Dynasty (IMDB)

The amazing thing is, I've never really watched Dynasty! I guess I'm not just into soap operas, and this one was pretty over the top and too campy. However, that isn't the point; for a while, Dynasty truly captured the attention of Deaf America like no other show ever done, and this feat probably will never be repeated. I remember my days at FSD, when nearly everybody in my H.S. watched it religiously, and discussed it endlessly.

For those who still don't get it, why the fact that Dynasty was the rage throughout the Deaf community during the 1980's... Allow me to illuminate the power of closed-captioning and its convergence upon pent-up demand for captioned programming. In a nutshell, Dynasty was the first popular show to be closed captioned. Sure, other shows had been captioned, but they were usually fringe shows, news shows, but a popular one? Dynasty was it.

By then, the Deaf Community was practically hungry for entertainment, and Dynasty had the serendpidty to feature that new-fangled CC technology. Boom, done, and mate! CC programming never turned back, and thanks to the instant success of the Dynasty show making huge inroads into the Deaf community, we now have the luxury of enjoying varied CC entertainment programming in nearly all channels in the cable/satellite universe, and nearly at all hours.

Ok, some more fodder for discussion... Should I watch it on DVD now? :) Would any Deafie who has watched it back then, cringe at the experience? ;) Bonus points goes to the first respondent who remembers the Dynasty sign! :bowdown:

OMG -- ive forgotten abt Dynasty!! i certainly remmy the show back in the early 80s and definately was one of the kids that watched it religiously every week at school :lol: and ofc discussed the show with groups of friends :giggle:

my sign back then for Dynasty was with a "D" then change to "Y" put together like 2 bulls butting heads

would i watch it again qq i dont know :lol: makes me feel O L D!

OMG! I love Dynasty!! I remember I used to watch it back in the 80's, I would love to watch it again, good memories. I used to watch it on soaps when I have DirectTV back then but now I have a different cable service and I would have to pay extra for the soap channel, so I missed out on re-run of Dynasty. :(

My sign for "Dynasty" is with the letter "D" on the chest and then letter "Y" when moving down away from the chest. ;)

If you like women with padded shoulders, flat clutch purses, and big hair, Dynasty is the show for you. :P

My sign for "Dynasty" is with the letter "D" on the chest and then letter "Y" when moving down away from the chest. ;)
I've never seen this sign. Fly Free's description of the Dynasty is the one I've seen used all the time and I assume is the correct one.

I've never seen this sign. Fly Free's description of the Dynasty is the one I've seen used all the time and I assume is the correct one.

My signs can be different from other people even when I went to St. Louis and met the other AD members their signs were alit differently than mine, not all just some I guess it depends on where you live. :dunno:

Back