Discrimination against HH/Deaf oralists?

mikatehgr8t

Reaction score
Is this true? In another post of mines, there's a discussion about how deaf students at Gallaudet who use ASL to communicate discriminate against deaf students who communicate orally?

I'm asking this because I've only been around hearing people. I've never really got to get involved with the Deaf community. In April, there is an opportunity for me to finally get involved but I don't want to face this kind of judgement & discrimination for communicating the only way I know how...pretty much all my life I was judged & discriminated for being hearing impaired by hearing people so that'd be pretty sad to finally get involved with people like myself and then to be judged & discriminated again. I'd feel like I wouldn't fit anywhere if that happened. :aw:

I am not trying to offend anyone, by the way. I just need to know.

With every group, it is different. Like in any community, there are people who are close minded and people who are patient and open-minded. You just have to find the people you click with and ignore those who discriminate.

Same thing in the hearing world..there are hearies who discriminate and some dont.

Wise thoughts from shel90.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

With every group, it is different. Like in any community, there are people who are close minded and people who are patient and open-minded. You just have to find the people you click with and ignore those who discriminate.

Same thing in the hearing world..there are hearies who discriminate and some dont.

Perfect!

That's the same advice I gave to another poster here weeks ago - I don't remember his name. He was saying he was having a hard time interacting with his friends because they were not patient with him or close-minded. I wrote that it was time to find new friends. Find those you click with, just like you said. :)

Is this true? In another post of mines, there's a discussion about how deaf students at Gallaudet who use ASL to communicate discriminate against deaf students who communicate orally?

I'm asking this because I've only been around hearing people. I've never really got to get involved with the Deaf community. In April, there is an opportunity for me to finally get involved but I don't want to face this kind of judgement & discrimination for communicating the only way I know how...pretty much all my life I was judged & discriminated for being hearing impaired by hearing people so that'd be pretty sad to finally get involved with people like myself and then to be judged & discriminated again. I'd feel like I wouldn't fit anywhere if that happened. :aw:

I am not trying to offend anyone, by the way. I just need to know.

I wrote something like this in another thread. I have been hard of hearing since I was 4 but didn't know sign until I got to the certain age of knowing that I had a 2nd culture. I'm more oral than signing but wanting to learn. I was discriminated (and still do) coming up but over time I have learned to deal with it. It's just pure and simple ignorance. Brace yourself because it IS going to happen but...you can always walk away and like the other members said...click with someone else.

It DOES happen, and I wish so fucking BADLY it didn't. I think virtually all the "deafer then thou" people are mixing up the stereotypical AG Bell kid (meaning one of those kids who thinks that b/c they are oral they were better educated) with kids who simply didn't get to be exposed to ASL. It's not our fault we weren't exposed to ASL. But on the other hand, there are still a lot of kids who went to Clarke or who went to CID or who went to where ever who came to Gally. Gally actually even had a booth at the Clarke Mainstream conference! To tell you the truth, I think Gally's (along with Deaf Ed) going through a transistion right now. In ten or twenty years, Gally is gonna look more like NTID is now.
It does seem overall, if you have the attitude that " Oh I didn't get exposed to ASL while growing up, but I'm very interested in learning it." you'll get accepted by most Deaf people.

I've been discriminated by other deaf people... for many things... clubs... meetings... work... school... activities... etc.

They complain that hearing people discriminate against them. Yet, they also discriminate among others. :roll:

I've been discriminated by other deaf people... for many things... clubs... meetings... work... school... activities... etc.

They complain that hearing people discriminate against them. Yet, they also discriminate among others. :roll:

Ask yourself...why do these deaf people discriminate?

Think about it.

people discriminates people is what they do in life. :roll:

the best thing is to ignore those ignorant obnxious people and find the cool people that will do.

Some of every group discriminates against other groups,If u hate yourself u start hating people.

I one hates "oneself" then it might be "interesting" to determine the "validity" of such. No easy matter in self reflection.

Duly discussed by my user name's book: Self Matters- creating your life from the inside out. Check your local library.

Implanted Advanced bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

If they are discriminating against you, it's time to move on.

Oh no! I hope it isn't one of my posts that scared you. I posted some things about Gallaudet and some of the discrimination that happens there.

Please don't worry! If you have the opportunity to be with people who are like you, EVEN if you don't sign--GO FOR IT. Look, in June 2010, I started my first ASL class. A few weeks later, I was only able to sign the most ridiculously simple things. I could sign my name, things I liked, how are you, soda, tea, school, etc. It didn't matter though, because every single person I met was really patient with me and fingerspelled signs I didn't know (which would help me learn more ASL). Not a single person discriminated against me for being raised oral and mainstreamed. In fact, not all of them were raised with ASL and we had a common connection.

I wrote what I said about Gallaudet specifically because I had a bad experience with one girl, and I heard horror stories about discrimination there. But the thing is, everyone is right when they say that discrimination is everywhere. Fortunately, in the Deaf community, people who discriminate against oral deafies are very few. You're hard pressed to find those people, but if you see them, just move on to better people. Obviously I'm over my fear of Gallaudet now, and if I see any crazy people who tell me I'm not deaf enough because I grew up oral or whatever, I'm gonna just ignore it and keep going on with my life. If they are closed-minded, they're not worth your time.

Now, since last year, I've found that I'm actually way more comfortable with deaf people than I am with hearing people. It's just easier to communicate and requires no explanation for why I am the way I am. You might find the same thing, but you have to give the Deaf community a chance. They don't bite. I was scared when I first started entering the community, but now I feel like I'm so much happier. DO IT!

wrote what I said about Gallaudet specifically because I had a bad experience with one girl, and I heard horror stories about discrimination there. But the thing is, everyone is right when they say that discrimination is everywhere. Fortunately, in the Deaf community, people who discriminate against oral deafies are very few. You're hard pressed to find those people, but if you see them, just move on to better people. Obviously I'm over my fear of Gallaudet now, and if I see any crazy people who tell me I'm not deaf enough because I grew up oral or whatever, I'm gonna just ignore it and keep going on with my life. If they are closed-minded, they're not worth your time.
Nattie, do you agree with me that most Deaf folks aren't "Deafer then thou?"

I was at Gallaudet today and I saw deaf people who looked like they had just learned ASL sitting with those who were very fluent in it. I saw some Sim-Comming in the Ratskellar area but no pure oral-only. Maybe those who looked like new signers were oral only when they enrolled at Gallaudet and now are able to sign even if it is slowly and awkwardly.

I really think Deaf culture is changing...Like it's gonna look more like NTID then old school Gally. I do think that Deaf Schools and programs need to do active outreach to the kids who are oral first, somehow.

I really think Deaf culture is changing...Like it's gonna look more like NTID then old school Gally. I do think that Deaf Schools and programs need to do active outreach to the kids who are oral first, somehow.

Definitely. I had no idea any of this existed before February 2010. So basically a year ago, I was in the dark. I would have been so much more comfortable in school, in my social life, and EVERYTHING had I just found the Deaf community sooner. If those schools had reached out to me, I would have found my home in the Deaf world a long time ago!

]
I would have been so much more comfortable in school, in my social life, and EVERYTHING had I just found the Deaf community sooner. If those schools had reached out to me, I would have found my home in the Deaf world a long time ag]o!
AMEN!!!! Like yes, there are oral and mainstreamed kids who are pretty much "almost hearing" but hoh can also mean "might benifit significently from ASL as a second language and regional programs." The Deaf World would be ENOURMOUS if they did that!

]AMEN!!!! Like yes, there are oral and mainstreamed kids who are pretty much "almost hearing" but hoh can also mean "might benifit significently from ASL as a second language and regional programs." The Deaf World would be ENOURMOUS if they did that!

I have a question: If Spanish, French, German, Indonesian, and Japanese and Chinese languages all find a way to become a second language taught in schools, and English in other countries, why not sign language such as ASL, Auslan etc? How would we go about getting sign language taught as a second language in mainstream schools across the board??

Back