Just came home with more debt

Hmm, that is just awesome! Going to check it out since I'll be a new mom soon! ;) About new debt, are ya gonna have a ball replacing brake pads this harsh winter? :giggle:

how long before baby:lol:

Yesterday we got the van sold, some people from a few hours out came and bought it. I took my wife to a dealership I had great experience with in the past ( bought a new car from them as well as had service work done there ) anyways she found a car she liked and today we finalized papers. Our New to Us, 2008 Avenger SXT. Got an excellent deal and its not breaking the bank or making us sweat....lol

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 14
Yesterday we got the van sold, some people from a few hours out came and bought it. I took my wife to a dealership I had great experience with in the past ( bought a new car from them as well as had service work done there ) anyways she found a car she liked and today we finalized papers. Our New to Us, 2008 Avenger SXT. Got an excellent deal and its not breaking the bank or making us sweat....lol

GreenLikeIcon.jpg

So, Yesterday I took my wife to work, waited to pick her up and go to my CI appointment. Dropped her back off at work and waited to pick her up after work and head home. Almost got out of the city when the car started driving funny and started to shake, pressure sensor set off the indicator light on the dash...GREAT a flat. So I managed to cut over and get on the shoulder. We have roadside service and wife was going to call, I told her no, I can change it faster than waiting for them. So 15 minutes and we were back on the road, stopped at a tire place I knew and got the tire patched and put back on then headed home. Im a good driver, got over and all without incident....the other drivers, well they may not have been as responsive...lol
I think our next set of tires will be Run Flats, so my wife wont have to be worried about getting stranded.

So, Yesterday I took my wife to work, waited to pick her up and go to my CI appointment. Dropped her back off at work and waited to pick her up after work and head home. Almost got out of the city when the car started driving funny and started to shake, pressure sensor set off the indicator light on the dash...GREAT a flat. So I managed to cut over and get on the shoulder. We have roadside service and wife was going to call, I told her no, I can change it faster than waiting for them. So 15 minutes and we were back on the road, stopped at a tire place I knew and got the tire patched and put back on then headed home. Im a good driver, got over and all without incident....the other drivers, well they may not have been as responsive...lol
I think our next set of tires will be Run Flats, so my wife wont have to be worried about getting stranded.

Glad it went smoothly without any incident. What are Run Flats? I may need tires sooner or later. Mine are 2 years old and are halfway through it's thread life.

I have known what the process is to change a tire for years but as luck would have it the very few times I have had to have one changed there have been guys around to help. Years ago my mechanic at the time told me that a woman's problem is the force needed to get a tire off that has been put on with the power equipment used in a shop.

I am glad nothing happen to you and your wife while putting on a new tire . Did your new car come with a spare tire , or did have you to buy one ? Someone posted here that new cars do not have spare tires. I will have to look into Run Flats, I forgot all about them . I forgot how to change a tire and don't think I should tired . Wow I did not know cars told when you had a flat tire , I have an old crappy car.

Yes, luckily it had a spare, these are 18" tires so its a massive doughnut tire which I hate, it pulled like hell too, so told my wife we will buy a full sized spare ( get a matching rim at the salvage yard ) Yes, the lug nuts can be torqued really tight and the heat of the wheels can make them tighter. I have encountered a few that even with me jumping on a breaker bar or 4 way could not budge them. Im 200 pounds so that is a tight nut right there.

Yes, luckily it had a spare, these are 18" tires so its a massive doughnut tire which I hate, it pulled like hell too, so told my wife we will buy a full sized spare ( get a matching rim at the salvage yard ) Yes, the lug nuts can be torqued really tight and the heat of the wheels can make them tighter. I have encountered a few that even with me jumping on a breaker bar or 4 way could not budge them. Im 200 pounds so that is a tight nut right there.

Be careful driving into a salvage yard , my ex husband ended up with a flat tire. I told I bet the nails where put out so people would get flat tire and need a new one. My dad showed me how jack up my car and put a new tire on but that was many moons ago.

I park on the paved lot at ours, I dont drive onto the gravel areas.

I had seen people ad oil to their car parked on a hill. I thought it was best to do it on a flat ground to get a better reading on the oil stick. I was told this was better , is that correct?

Flat ground gives correct reading. Depending where dipstick is located in the sump if can give a false higher or lower reading on a hill.
you will either over fill or under fill on a hill, so a level surface is the best to check oil levels.

Run flat tires are special tires where the sidewalls are reinforced so if you get a flat, the tire actually doesnt go flat, you can still drive up to 55-70 mph on them, that is why they are basically used with pressure sensors so when they lose air a light comes on that is in the dash cluster. We have it so I will probly get a set so my wife has no worries of getting stranded with a flat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-flat_tire

Flat ground gives correct reading. Depending where dipstick is located in the sump if can give a false higher or lower reading on a hill.
you will either over fill or under fill on a hill, so a level surface is the best to check oil levels.

Run flat tires are special tires where the sidewalls are reinforced so if you get a flat, the tire actually doesnt go flat, you can still drive up to 55-70 mph on them, that is why they are basically used with pressure sensors so when they lose air a light comes on that is in the dash cluster. We have it so I will probly get a set so my wife has no worries of getting stranded with a flat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-flat_tire

I thought it best be on a flat ground when adding oil to your car. I have seen a neighbor do this while parked on hill , I was going to tell the guy he should be on a flat ground but me being a woman I didn't think he would listen .

Glad you fix it. I remember in few months ago, a customer came in with a flat tire, ask a service manager to see if the flat tire can replace at the dealership where she bought a brand new car, at no charge. He (service manager) told her that the any objects such as nail, screw etc penerated the tire then dealer will not replace it free. Her car is just one month old. Many happens to the new vehicles. Bad luck...

Glad it went smoothly without any incident. What are Run Flats? I may need tires sooner or later. Mine are 2 years old and are halfway through it's thread life.

Newer BMW use Run Flat tires. I think it's Continental or Pirelli. I saw one BMW came in with flat tire, ask for put air in the tire. I inflated the flat tire, she tipped me some money then she leave in a hurry to work. I've not hear from her since. Thought.....

Mike it's nice to hear how concerned you are with your wife's vehicle and her safety. Definitely can't be too careful these days. Breaking down, being alone, is a huge fear of mine, especially now since I am deaf.

Pulling off to the side of a highway is always dangerous. With my accident, we pulled over but the shoulder was tiny. Big rigs and cars were flying by at 60+ mph with maybe just one foot clearance between us.

We have AAA and luckily have only had to use it when my husband was with me.

I am glad nothing happen to you and your wife while putting on a new tire . Did your new car come with a spare tire , or did have you to buy one ? Someone posted here that new cars do not have spare tires. I will have to look into Run Flats, I forgot all about them . I forgot how to change a tire and don't think I should tired . Wow I did not know cars told when you had a flat tire , I have an old crappy car.

Look for Run Flat tires for your car? I would say NO unless you own newer BMW or Porsche. The Run Flat tires are protect the high end vehicles to prevent the underbody/body damages.

Look for Run Flat tires for your car? I would say NO unless you own newer BMW or Porsche. The Run Flat tires are protect the high end vehicles to prevent the underbody/body damages.
I got several friends with them on their personal vehicles (Jags, BMW, and a few other cheapies) I prefer them for my wife... which will be reason in next post

Did you test to put a full tire (borrow from the same vehicle) to fit the spare tire well? Make sure it can fit before you harvest an used full tire from junk yard to put in the well.

Mike it's nice to hear how concerned you are with your wife's vehicle and her safety. Definitely can't be too careful these days. Breaking down, being alone, is a huge fear of mine, especially now since I am deaf.

Pulling off to the side of a highway is always dangerous. With my accident, we pulled over but the shoulder was tiny. Big rigs and cars were flying by at 60+ mph with maybe just one foot clearance between us.

We have AAA and luckily have only had to use it when my husband was with me.
My main concern about her safety is that she has no sense of directions.
She now knows how to get to work and back home as I had to take her ( after she transfered to another department) but if there is a traffic jam or construction, she has no idea where she is at just going around the block.
She will call me and tell me her location and I will give her turn by turn to get home. I will let her know landmarks to look for and that her turn will be before or after that until i can get her back to a familiar location to take over on her own. But roadside service is a joke here, they take hours to get there and spend all but 10 minutes to do something and leave... either it be fuel or a flat, at night, in the cold or pouring rain is no fun at all. I want her to be able to get to point B or a point of safety especially if she is alone or has our son with her.

Back