Writing my Senior Thesis

Vulpixii

Reaction score
Hello! I'm currently writing my senior thesis about language acquisition of ASL as a first language for children that are deaf or h-o-h. My stance is pro ASL and talks about the issues with cochlear implants, and oralist methods as well as the psychological impact of trying to assimilate a deaf adolescent into a hearing world (trying to force them away from Deaf culture).

I was wondering if someone could help me make sure I'm not using offensive terminology when referring to a deaf adolescent. When do I differentiate between Deaf and deaf? is deafness (i.e. psychology of deafness) incorrect?

Also if anyone knows any good studies or resource links I would greatly appreciate it! Everything I can find so far is very hearing slanted and supports implants, and english as a first language -_-...

Deaf vs. deaf is:

deaf = medically deaf

Deaf = accepted Deaf culture (i.e. uses ASL, interacts with other Deaf)

There are many other threads on this forum that discuss the d/Deaf terminology.

Are you writing this for a Deaf school or a hearing school? This makes a difference when thinking about who you wish to offend. Is your thesis objective or subjective? For instance, if you are going to say, "trying to force them away from Deaf culture" and you are trying to be objective you need to state, unbiasedly I might add, why they believe it is in the best interest of the child.

Deaf person has Deaf parents and Deaf siblings. Deaf person attends to hearing school. Deaf person still has a Deaf Culture.

Deaf person has Deaf parents and Deaf siblings. Deaf person attends to hearing school. Deaf person still has a Deaf Culture.

That is not true . I am hoh ad both my parents are hearing and I know other people that are hoh and have hearing parents . I am the only my family that hoh .

Huh do you understand what is the Deaf Culture??

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Maybe my post is not what op is looking for but give op some thoughts. That's sll

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

That is not true . I am hoh ad both my parents are hearing and I know other people that are hoh and have hearing parents . I am the only my family that hoh .

I am sorry that I do not understand you.. I have a hearing family, hearing 4 siblings. I still have my Deaf Culture.

Can you explain again.. thanks.

Vulpixii, I would suggest you seek out Deaf people in your community and talk to them directly. Also, search Amazon for books written by Deaf people. There are plenty of materials out there that are not slanted toward implants.

Also check out Gallaudet's Cochlear Implant Education Center.

Hello! I'm currently writing my senior thesis about language acquisition of ASL as a first language for children that are deaf or h-o-h. My stance is pro ASL and talks about the issues with cochlear implants, and oralist methods as well as the psychological impact of trying to assimilate a deaf adolescent into a hearing world (trying to force them away from Deaf culture).

I was wondering if someone could help me make sure I'm not using offensive terminology when referring to a deaf adolescent. When do I differentiate between Deaf and deaf? is deafness (i.e. psychology of deafness) incorrect?

Also if anyone knows any good studies or resource links I would greatly appreciate it! Everything I can find so far is very hearing slanted and supports implants, and english as a first language -_-...

That really would upset me and getting frustrated so much because I was struggling trying to made heads and tails being in the mainstream schools for Special Education which I hate that program. There were no ASL back then in the 1950 and 1960, not even accommodations in the hearing classrooms.

Deaf is for ASL and being involved in Deaf Culture in the Deaf Communities.

The small letter for d is deaf which mean that it is medically by the doctor and also deaf children and adults prefer to speak without signing at all.

I can not believe why parents, even authorities tried very hard to make us be like them so much (in order for us to be hearing like them) which is impossible that hearing aids and Cochlear Implants (CIs) would not help us to hear perfectly or normally like hearing people. That is why hearing people don't get it that we can not change from deaf to hearing at all just to satisfy their ways. Why do we have to put up with that no matter if we are deaf or hard of hearing? It is not fair for us to go through suffering like this.

So what you are saying that you would rather have us go through without accommodations like ASL, close captioned T.V., Door bell signalers, TDD (Telecommunication Device for the Deaf) or VP with VR (Videophone with Video Relay).

Most of us don't like oral-only method and not like Special Education at all. Maybe some of Hard Of Hearing (HOH) probably don't mind oral-only method. But still they need the accommodations for them so they don't lost in communication with hearing people.

So don't talk about how we must go through without accommodations to make our life harder for us to suffer and get frustrated. :mad:

I am sorry that I do not understand you.. I have a hearing family, hearing 4 siblings. I still have my Deaf Culture.

Can you explain again.. thanks.

"Deaf person has Deaf parents and Deaf siblings" You said this and it sound like you're saying deaf people have deaf parents. Of course you can have still have your culture , I never said you didn't .

Of course you didn't notice that FF used capital D for Deaf. Totally different than lowercase d for deaf. That can change the context of her sentence entirely.

Are you writing this for a Deaf school or a hearing school? This makes a difference when thinking about who you wish to offend. Is your thesis objective or subjective? For instance, if you are going to say, "trying to force them away from Deaf culture" and you are trying to be objective you need to state, unbiasedly I might add, why they believe it is in the best interest of the child.

not really.

and what are you talking about? objective or subjective? she's writing a thesis paper.... not a gossip article.

Of course you didn't notice that FF used capital D for Deaf. Totally different than lowercase d for deaf. That can change the context of her sentence entirely.

I did notice the capital D , I just did not feel like making it.

Yeah you did mention the same reply to alleycat in another thread. I felt like I m experiencing the déjà vu with your yup. Ha

Oh, yup is the same as yes, yeah, agree, etc.....in context, of course.

Back