So my baby didn't pass her hearing screening

My parents are not deaf and I am so that has nothing to do with it drs told my mom every girl she had would be deaf. Now both of my children are deaf and their father's are hearing. I wasnt diagnosed til 4 but wear hearing aide as far as CI that should be her decidion because of what it is and not a deaf people aggree with the Implant. As far as testing they have steps to take but I have heard of failing then passing due to fluid. Good luck and congrats

My friend's baby passed hearing second time....... My friend believes her baby has apparently so exhausted on the first hearing test! :dunno:

Congrats!! :)

Wirelessly posted

i think it is different in different places. I know that the recommedation is to do both (since they screen for different things.) but neither test requires a response from the child. (that is what i was responding to)

(and yes, congratulations alex. I'm sure your baby will do beautifully deaf or hearing!)

That's true, but it can be inaccuarate. I've heard of babies who score profound on ABR, and then on audiogram were found to have a lot of residual hearing. Heck, on audiogram I'm hoh but on ABR I'm profound.

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
Wirelessly posted

i think it is different in different places. I know that the recommedation is to do both (since they screen for different things.) but neither test requires a response from the child. (that is what i was responding to)

(and yes, congratulations alex. I'm sure your baby will do beautifully deaf or hearing!)

That's true, but it can be inaccuarate. I've heard of babies who score profound on ABR, and then on audiogram were found to have a lot of residual hearing. Heck, on audiogram I'm hoh but on ABR I'm profound.

yes, auditory neuropathy can present with a profound abr but present oea. A booth test is considered the "gold standard" for measuring hearing, and is better than either test used for infants.

Here's a belated congrats, Alex! If that's your girl in your avatar, she's adorable!

My son failed his original screening in his right ear only, twice, and then when we had the ABR done, it was found that both of his ears had loss. In his case, fluid leftover from the womb wasn't a factor, as he was born months before his screenings in the NICU. We were told the hospital screenings are set so only moderate or worse losses would fail, but his two infant ABRs point to a moderate loss across the board in his left ear (50 to 55 dB) that passed the screenings. His right ear had a loss of 55 to 65 dB. I heard there are a lot of false positives on the testing, so I would try not to worry yet. It's good you are getting the ABR when she's a month old. We waited until 2 1/2 months adjusted, and it was harder...he woke up some. We had a failed attempt at another one 4 weeks later, but finally 4 weeks after that he slept through the whole thing. The results were very close to the 2/3 test that had been completed 8 weeks earlier. He is now 2 and due for yet another ABR, when he's under anesthesia for a tonsillectomy. Good luck with the testing.

My son failed his original screening in his right ear only, twice, and then when we had the ABR done, it was found that both of his ears had loss. In his case, fluid leftover from the womb wasn't a factor, as he was born months before his screenings in the NICU. We were told the hospital screenings are set so only moderate or worse losses would fail, but his two infant ABRs point to a moderate loss across the board in his left ear (50 to 55 dB) that passed the screenings. His right ear had a loss of 55 to 65 dB. I heard there are a lot of false positives on the testing, so I would try not to worry yet. It's good you are getting the ABR when she's a month old. We waited until 2 1/2 months adjusted, and it was harder...he woke up some. We had a failed attempt at another one 4 weeks later, but finally 4 weeks after that he slept through the whole thing. The results were very close to the 2/3 test that had been completed 8 weeks earlier. He is now 2 and due for yet another ABR, when he's under anesthesia for a tonsillectomy. Good luck with the testing.

hey, I lost 50% when I was only a little girl!

My son failed both ears at two screenings, and has not passed in the left ear yet (now at 21 mnts due to not allowing them to try).

He is not deaf/profound hoh he mimics all sorts of sounds and will change his pitch and volume to match us and/or surroundings.

(will try for a booth when he's a bit older... if we can ever get anything near his ears... *sigh*)

Give that beautiful baby a kiss from me.

My son failed both ears at two screenings, and has not passed in the left ear yet (now at 21 mnts due to not allowing them to try).

He is not deaf/profound hoh he mimics all sorts of sounds and will change his pitch and volume to match us and/or surroundings.

(will try for a booth when he's a bit older... if we can ever get anything near his ears... *sigh*)

Give that beautiful baby a kiss from me.

well for me, I falied both ears so I wore hearing aids.
look into me because why? I'm an expert on the tech behind them!

Wirelessly posted

yes, auditory neuropathy can present with a profound abr but present oea. A booth test is considered the "gold standard" for measuring hearing, and is better than either test used for infants.

Yes, but I don't have auditory nereopathy at all.

Please do not use that "hearing impaired". We don't like that. Hello, your baby is deaf lol. Better learn ASL now. If doctor suggest you to get your child a CI. Don't get it. Let your child grow and understand how CI works then ask her to see if she want or not. it her choice. Also be sure your child learn ASL, not oral.
Can I ask why you don't like "hearing impaired"? Sorry, although I'm deaf myself I don't know much lol

Hey guys, I haven't taken my baby to the doctor for a hearing test yet. Mia does seem to hear sounds around her very well, though. She's 4 months old now and has started saying "mama" and "papa" with her little voice. So cute!

Thank you all for the nice comments about my baby Mia. Here's a pic of her taken this past weekend.

mia_112011.jpg

Beautioful can you please re size this picture. O=) SHe has beautiful dark brown eyes.

Back