Pit Bull to Join New York Police Force’s K9 Unit

rockin'robin

Reaction score
The Poughkeepsie Police Department (located approximately 85 miles outside of New York City) is adding a new member to its K9 team – a dog named Kiah.

But what makes this canine so special is the breed. While must dogs that join the police force are German shepherds and Belgian malinois to chase suspects and sniff out drugs, or beagles and bloodhounds to track scents, this police department decided to welcome a pit bull to the team.

Kiah (pronounced KY’-uh) will be used to sniff out drugs and find missing people. It is reported that she is also an ambassador for her breed and police.

“The breed isn’t important,” Brad Croft, a dog trainer for law enforcement agencies and the military, told The AP. “It’s what’s inside of the dog that’s important.”

Croft rescued the dog from a Texas animal shelter after her previous owner was arrested for animal cruelty. In partnership with Croft’s company San Antonio-based Universal K9, an Austin animal shelter and Animal Farm Foundation, a sanctuary in New York, Kiah was provided to the police department free of charge (often K9-trained dogs can cost up to $15,000.)

Croft told the AP he often looks for dogs in shelter to train for police departments and chose Kiah after a staff member “recognized something special in the dog.”

The dog’s human partner is Officer Justin Bruzgul, who told the AP, “She wants to work. She’s high-energy. Affectionate. I couldn’t ask for a better partner.”

While often pit bulls get bad raps, they are also known to be very sweet, loyal and eager to please. George Carlson, the Ulster County sheriff’s deputy who trained Kiah in Stone Ridge, N.Y. told the outlet he believes she is the only pit bull on the East Cost working for a police department and is a sweetheart. He added, “Dogs are individuals. They have their own personalities, just like people.”

http://thisdogslife.co/pit-bull-to-join-new-york-police-forces-k9-unit11-13-2015/

She is soooooooooo adorable!!!!!

Cute pup! I dislike the bad rap pit bulls have because it's not fair to the breed as a whole.

Yes, I think she's just lovely:)

*judge the deed not the breed*

I've always loved pit bulls. And yes they do get bad rap from the general population. It's all about how they are raised. They are one of the most loyal dogs ever.

I've always loved pit bulls. And yes they do get bad rap from the general population. It's all about how they are raised. They are one of the most loyal dogs ever.

I agree. I have a pit bull and she is so loyal to us. She is very affectionate towards everyone. Also, she is a wimp...cries at the littlest things especially the cold weather. lol

Well...if I were a criminal "on the run", and the Police shouted..."Stop! or I'll turn the Pit Bull on You!"....damn right, I'd stop, Dead in my tracks!....and no need for them to say "freeze".....:lol:

A lot of people are afraid of Pit Bulls (as I am), and would not have them around me or any child. Sure, the opinions differ, so this is just my opinion.

Just feel it takes a very strong individual, both mentally and physically to handle these dogs.

as has been stated before, pit bull type dogs are -not- any more dangerous or unpredictable around people, including children - than any other type of dog. Where I used to work, we saw wonderful pitties come in with children all the time, as well as interact with children of other families who happened to be in the store - all interactions that I observed were totally appropriate in relation to how the dog handled it <the same could not be said for how the people handled it sometimes>

I personally have seen or talked to people regarding training - in terms of naming a breed or specific type of dog - many more problematic interactions between Chihauhuas and children, or between Beagles and children < as examples where the dog was a possible issue toward the child>

The difference lies in how the MEDIA treats what happens with pit bull type dogs, versus OTHER dogs who do the same thing. Pit Bull type dogs are demonized routinely based on inaccuracies. Which is why I'm happy about this piece in the paper.

In terms of handling, I'm not physically very strong at all, and am very small, but routinely work with various sizes of pit bull type dogs in the shelter where I volunteer. As with all dogs, handling is a matter of reinforcement- what is rewarding for the dog...use that as a reinforcer for behaviors you want the dog to achieve. As is common with many Terriers - because these are Terriers - there- CAN be- a high prey drive <which does not translate to "bad with people" or "will attack a person>- this refers to being naturally inclined to chase or focus on other animals, which is not the same as aggression toward people.
So, if you have a dog of any kind with you who has a high focus on chasing other animals, then work with that in terms of teaching the dog that what you have can be better, because it is available <usually, food, but could be a toy>. Usually this is all a matter of working with behavior, regardless of whether the dog is a pit bull or not.

as has been stated before, pit bull type dogs are -not- any more dangerous or unpredictable around people, including children - than any other type of dog. Where I used to work, we saw wonderful pitties come in with children all the time, as well as interact with children of other families who happened to be in the store - all interactions that I observed were totally appropriate in relation to how the dog handled it <the same could not be said for how the people handled it sometimes>

I personally have seen or talked to people regarding training - in terms of naming a breed or specific type of dog - many more problematic interactions between Chihauhuas and children, or between Beagles and children < as examples where the dog was a possible issue toward the child>

The difference lies in how the MEDIA treats what happens with pit bull type dogs, versus OTHER dogs who do the same thing. Pit Bull type dogs are demonized routinely based on inaccuracies. Which is why I'm happy about this piece in the paper.

In terms of handling, I'm not physically very strong at all, and am very small, but routinely work with various sizes of pit bull type dogs in the shelter where I volunteer. As with all dogs, handling is a matter of reinforcement- what is rewarding for the dog...use that as a reinforcer for behaviors you want the dog to achieve. As is common with many Terriers - because these are Terriers - there- CAN be- a high prey drive <which does not translate to "bad with people" or "will attack a person>- this refers to being naturally inclined to chase or focus on other animals, which is not the same as aggression toward people.
So, if you have a dog of any kind with you who has a high focus on chasing other animals, then work with that in terms of teaching the dog that what you have can be better, because it is available <usually, food, but could be a toy>. Usually this is all a matter of working with behavior, regardless of whether the dog is a pit bull or not.

I agree with everything you said, with the exception that it is how the media treats incidents. I believe there are many factors from how people see large dogs and how they see small ones... A small dog growling is seen as cute while a large or powerful dog growling is seen as a danger and vicious, even when they are puppies. A small dog bites a person and they might break the skin, while a large dog playfully nips someone, it can lead to stitches.
It is not just media, it is society as a whole that see an aggressive small dog as cute and is even encouraged sometimes, while even a sleeping powerful one is a threat and is treated as a hazard.

I agree with everything you said, with the exception that it is how the media treats incidents. I believe there are many factors from how people see large dogs and how they see small ones... A small dog growling is seen as cute while a large or powerful dog growling is seen as a danger and vicious, even when they are puppies. A small dog bites a person and they might break the skin, while a large dog playfully nips someone, it can lead to stitches.
It is not just media, it is society as a whole that see an aggressive small dog as cute and is even encouraged sometimes, while even a sleeping powerful one is a threat and is treated as a hazard.

You're so dead wrong! A small can do a lot damage to a child face ! When I was health aide one of my client dog cat bit me on my ankle and broke my skin , I had to report this to my boss. She told me to go to the ER and to call when I got there to find out how long I would be there . While I was talking on a the phone some guy sitting near me was listening to me the whole time and everyone was laughing . I had no idea what was so funny until I got off the phone and the guy told me he was the ACO and he was here b/c a child was bitten on his face by a Rottie puppy and the puppy has to be put down . The boy needs stitches on his face . I would not want my small dog to bite me by mistake he could bite a chicken bone in half !

I think it's wonderful that people are recognizing what these great dogs can do.

Laura

Jezie - you're right about people thinking a small dog growling is "cute" but a bigger dog growling is considered more menacing.

and WDYS! - yes, a small dog can do a lot of damage to a child, especially their face or hands, which is often what gets damage because of where the child is in relation to the "business end" of the dog.

I agree with some of what had been said in the above posts, but it's also important to remember ANY dog can do this, large or small, and of any breed. That's why I don't like the stigma against pit bulls. Shel provided a great example of how wonderful they can be. I've seen her FB photos and that looks to be one happy pit bull. :)

Jezie - you're right about people thinking a small dog growling is "cute" but a bigger dog growling is considered more menacing.

and WDYS! - yes, a small dog can do a lot of damage to a child, especially their face or hands, which is often what gets damage because of where the child is in relation to the "business end" of the dog.

When I had Finlay I had to take him everywhere I went b/c a guy that use live here was spreading lies about my dog barking the whole time I was gone . He was the only person saying this . I had a doctor appointment and was in the waiting room I had Finlay lie down right next
me and there was mother with a baby sitting across from us.
The mom put her baby on the floor and let it start to crawl over right into
my dog's space and the baby face was facing Finlay's face . I was :shock:!
I told the mother that my dog is a very well trained dog but a lot dogs aren't and they might not like your baby in their space . Everyone looked at me as if I was nuts! I just couldn't believe a mother would be that stupid to let her baby crawl right into a strange dog space. The fool finally picked her baby. :roll: Finlay was trained so people could walk right over him and he would not more . Some people thought he was a toy dog b/c of was so well trained.

You're so dead wrong! A small can do a lot damage to a child face ! When I was health aide one of my client dog cat bit me on my ankle and broke my skin , I had to report this to my boss. She told me to go to the ER and to call when I got there to find out how long I would be there . While I was talking on a the phone some guy sitting near me was listening to me the whole time and everyone was laughing . I had no idea what was so funny until I got off the phone and the guy told me he was the ACO and he was here b/c a child was bitten on his face by a Rottie puppy and the puppy has to be put down . The boy needs stitches on his face . I would not want my small dog to bite me by mistake he could bite a chicken bone in half !

I am not saying a small dog cannot do damage. A small puppy ate an infants foot off of a friend's baby. What I am saying is that it takes effort or an extremely soft spot from a small dog to damage. I am also saying that a large dog can, without effort cause more damage then a small dog.
You also mention this was caused by a rottie puppy, in no way can a rottie puppy be considered a small dog, also, rottie puppies would fall under the powerful dog that I mentioned. You are actually under scoring a rottie puppy. When my baby girl was but a few months old she bite a pork thigh bone in half when she got upset at it for moving out of her bowl.... They have the strongest bite force of the dog breeds out there.

I am not saying a small dog cannot do damage. A small puppy ate an infants foot off of a friend's baby. What I am saying is that it takes effort or an extremely soft spot from a small dog to damage. I am also saying that a large dog can, without effort cause more damage then a small dog.
You also mention this was caused by a rottie puppy, in no way can a rottie puppy be considered a small dog, also, rottie puppies would fall under the powerful dog that I mentioned. You are actually under scoring a rottie puppy. When my baby girl was but a few months old she bite a pork thigh bone in half when she got upset at it for moving out of her bowl.... They have the strongest bite force of the dog breeds out there.

I heard of a rat eating fingers or toes off a baby .

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...mom-boyfriend-charged-felony-article-1.397640

crook see pit after him may just put crook on righteous road

-as an aside, in a way- jezie - u have a Rottie? -

I attended a celebration last week at our animal shelter. This is the shelter where I volunteer in behavior and training<particular program called *Mod Squad*> with some of the dogs, including so many wonderful Pitties. The celebration was marking the 1000th Mod Squad dog adopted in the last month or two, throughout the 5 years of the program - so the program has had 1000 successful "forever home" dog adoptions! At the party was a Powerpoint presentation that kept scrolling through the various dogs who've come through - often pictures sent in from their new homes.

One of the pictures was of one of my favorite dogs, who was a very sweet, mellow soul, a bit shy - gorgeous black and white large male bully type dog with a very soft face, soft eyes....he really got to me. In one of the "home" pictures of him, he's sitting on dad's lap. Dad is sitting in an office chair and the dog is sitting on his lap, with his head all cradled into the man's neck; another is of him in bed with the guy.
:D

Back