Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

My mom has gotten those "religion" reactions, too. She's been accused of being a sinner because her baby is deaf. Which is kinda hilarious because she is too good of a girl.

I haven't been accused of being a sinner..... until I moved to Alabama. "God hates deaf people, so you better start praying so that he can heal you."

Sigh.. Oh, Alabama...why must you live up to your stereotype?

(Disclaimer: this happened only a few times, 99.9% of the people here are great! At least, in Huntsville..)

Also, I do get tired of hearing that "You talk well, you must be very smart." crap.

Yep, they don't know that I have a master's degree in engineering and yet they figure that I am intelligent just because I can pronounce the word "fantastic".

Just.. fantastic!

We disagree. And since you are free to bash religion, while I am prohibited from offering the opposing viewpoints, have a nice day. :wave:

I wasn't actually bashing religion, I was just pointing out that you can't define who a person is.

I wasn't actually bashing religion, I was just pointing out that you can't define who a person is.

I can. I define myself as a Christian. I define you as a person that I have had previous discussions with, related to Christianity. Those previous discussions lead me to believe you are not a Christian. That is your choice, and I do not make any judgments of you because of that.

Based on the story posted by Steinhauer, I believe I can identify these ladies that observed he was being punished by God for some perceived evil. They are hypocritical Christians: making judgment of others under the veil of "God's will." That is not part of any Biblical lessons.

To the OP:
Sorry for the hijack. Back to the topic.

I'm getting a kick out of some of these responses (posts)!...:laugh2: Hilarious.....I've also had my share of hearing people saying some of the most stupidist things....

The latest for me was...I went down to pay my cable bill. They had charged me 3x the normal amount, and I knew something was wrong....When it became my turn in line, I told the young girl behind the window that I was deaf and I needed a print-out of my bill, as the one charged to me was wrong...She looked dumb-founded...and said..."Get someone to call for you, as we are just a payment center"....

I told her in a nice way that I didn't "need someone to call for me"...that I was capable of doing that myself...all I needed was a print-out of the charges, and she would be able to do that....She finally did just that...and by then I was totally pissed off.....and bit my tongue from saying something else to her.

I can. I define myself as a Christian. I define you as a person that I have had previous discussions with, related to Christianity. Those previous discussions lead me to believe you are not a Christian. That is your choice, and I do not make any judgments of you because of that.

Based on the story posted by Steinhauer, I believe I can identify these ladies that observed he was being punished by God for some perceived evil. They are hypocritical Christians: making judgment of others under the veil of "God's will." That is not part of any Biblical lessons.

To the OP:
Sorry for the hijack. Back to the topic.

Yeah, sorry for the hijack on my end, too.

I remember one time at the grocery store; I was at the checkout with half a cart full of various foods. There was a man behind me that kept saying something to me, but I did not notice him. I was busy bagging my purchase as the cashier scanned the items. When it was time to pay, I noticed people behind the man all looking at me. The man, his face red, finally gets my attention. He asks me if I am deaf, not in a polite way. I tell him I am deaf in one ear. He shakes his head, then tells me he only wanted to ask me if I intend to use my cart to get the food to the car. I told him I am HOH, not Hercules. I had 6 full brown paper grocery bags. Here he was with a few items in hand, asking if I would let him use my cart for his stuff, and thinking I would carry my six bags out.

When I realized what had happened, I was shocked at how crass he had been. When someone goes that far over the line of common courtesy, I usually don't notice it.

What kind of idiot wants another shopper's cart? He should just go get his own cart.

I hate when someone says how wondergful it is that I can read lips. So patronizing. Any one got a good come back for that?

My mom has gotten those "religion" reactions, too. She's been accused of being a sinner because her baby is deaf. Which is kinda hilarious because she is too good of a girl.

I haven't been accused of being a sinner..... until I moved to Alabama. "God hates deaf people, so you better start praying so that he can heal you."

Sigh.. Oh, Alabama...why must you live up to your stereotype?

(Disclaimer: this happened only a few times, 99.9% of the people here are great! At least, in Huntsville..)

That one deserves a facepalm. :P

What kind of idiot wants another shopper's cart? He should just go get his own cart.

I hate when someone says how wondergful it is that I can read lips. So patronizing. Any one got a good come back for that?

well, I do ask for a cart if there are not anymore to be seen (in smaller stores) and the customer only has a few carrayble things...and some stores that I frequent will not let you take the carts outside because of so many thefts....but for someone with a lot of groceries, etc., no I wouldn't ask for that cart....

And the reading lips thingy...I'm getting so sick of it...but trying to have more patience in my golden years with people who are so ignorant and think I'm so helpless....geez...perhaps respond that "yes, I read lips...and do you have false teeth"?...or...."I would read yours, but ur breath smells really bad...what did you have for lunch"?

"Thanks, I'm just amazed that you can speak!"

I'm getting a kick out of some of these responses (posts)!...:laugh2: Hilarious.....I've also had my share of hearing people saying some of the most stupidist things....

The latest for me was...I went down to pay my cable bill. They had charged me 3x the normal amount, and I knew something was wrong....When it became my turn in line, I told the young girl behind the window that I was deaf and I needed a print-out of my bill, as the one charged to me was wrong...She looked dumb-founded...and said..."Get someone to call for you, as we are just a payment center"....

I told her in a nice way that I didn't "need someone to call for me"...that I was capable of doing that myself...all I needed was a print-out of the charges, and she would be able to do that....She finally did just that...and by then I was totally pissed off.....and bit my tongue from saying something else to her.

When I see the old lady pharamist at CVS and I need to refill my blood glucose strips, I know what's going to happen.

She will try to get me to pay 78 dollars for my bottle of my blood glucose strips and then I have to remind her that I have a doctor's prescription and that I'm not paying 78 dollars. I usually just pay 10 dollars cuz I have the presccription.

But I must say it never occurred to me that she might be trying to take advantage of my deafness till now.

Not let you take the carts outside? That's crazy! That's what the carts are for. Here the cart wheels automatically lock if you try to take the cart out of the store parking lot.

Not let you take the carts outside? That's crazy! That's what the carts are for. Here the cart wheels automatically lock if you try to take the cart out of the store parking lot.

We have a few stores that do not let the cart out the store doors. That's where my rollator comes in very handy. However, the cashiers are nice enough that if you have a lot in the cart they will unlock the wheels and wait at the door for the cart to be returned. People in our area are good at stealing the carts and walking home with them. I see people daily who load the carts with their dirty laundry and roll up the the laundry mat.

Wow! I hope that our stores don't start doing that. I'll have to bring my own cart.

Man, I am seeing some ignorant hearing people stories occuring in a couple of other threads at this very moment.:lol:

A while ago, I was visiting my parents and the three of us went to this little bakery. I wandered off and browsed the pastries. My dad came up and told this worker who was talking to my back that I was Deaf... Her response? "OHH how CUUUUUUUUTE!!" like I was a puppy. :roll: lol

Possible response: Look at you, all dressed up and out in public. It's like you're a person! Awwwwwww!

My story: I'm hearing, and used to work at a customer service desk at a clothing store. I would try my best with my limited ASL and pen/paper to communicate with one of our regular customers who was deaf. One day, I see my supervisor leading her back to the service counter (which was at the back of the store) and saying loudly something like "HE CAN HELP YOU". I greeted her and made a "I'm so sorry about her" face. The first thing she did as the sup walked away was to sign, and for the first time to me, say "bitch".

We ended up trashing the supervisor for a bit, and I got a bonus bit of vocabulary out of it :)

That kind of stuff just irks me. I'm eager to see more people respond on how not only they handle these things, but also maybe some things hearing people can do to avoid common issues.

When I see the old lady pharamist at CVS and I need to refill my blood glucose strips, I know what's going to happen.

She will try to get me to pay 78 dollars for my bottle of my blood glucose strips and then I have to remind her that I have a doctor's prescription and that I'm not paying 78 dollars. I usually just pay 10 dollars cuz I have the presccription.

But I must say it never occurred to me that she might be trying to take advantage of my deafness till now.

Oh yes! People do...it happened to me when I went to a small key shop to have some keys made...the elderly man behind the counter said..."ur deaf? My brother is deaf, he can't speak."....He then made the keys, came back and was figuring up what I owed him.(on a note pad)...(not using a calculator or the cash register)....and was over charging me about 6 dollars!...I called him up on it...he said, "Oh I'm sorry....refigured it again, and it was still wrong!...I got really frustrated and said..."what's the matter? can't you add?"!!...After 3 tries, he got it right, and there was a cash register and a calculator right beside him!.....I've never been back there since.

I hate it when I walk into a room full of hearies that know I'm Deaf and they then start whispering or they will turn around and one of them will shoot a look my way unaware that I um, can read body language VERY WELL, including lips and know what is being said.
I may be Deaf but I am FAR from stupid. It hurts the ignorance.

oh...and this one really hurts: I'll be standing in a group of let's say 3 people that'd make me number 4...there's chattering here and there and when I interject my thoughts I'm ignored as if I don't exist. That kills me. Although I'm included in whats going on...my presence is not. It's as if I'm not important enough. I've had family do this to me not just people I work with and when that happens I just shut up for the rest of the day if I'm at work or if I'm with said family member I just leave and go home. What is so horrible about being...Deaf to these people? I don't get it. I'm just as human as they are.

Last edited:
Back