Would love help with English to ASL translation

hila.bakman

Reaction score
Hey :)

Thank you very much for reading.

I am quite new in ASL and am trying to figure out grammar rules.
As practice, I tried to translate part of Bon Jovi's song It's My Life.
Would grealy appreciate if you correct my word order.
Each sentence is comprised of 2 lines: first is the English sentence and second is its word-order in ASL.

Thank you so much!!

Hila

This ain't a song for the brokenhearted
PERSON-HEART-BREAK, SONG THIS FOR NO

No silent prayer for the faith departed
PERSON-FAITH-DEPART(or NO), PRAYER SILENT FOR NO

And I ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd
AND CROWD-FACE-SIMPLE I WON’T

You're gonna hear my voice when I shout it out loud
MY VOICE YOU HEAR WILL WHEN I LOUD SHOUT

Learning is fun. Knowledge is power! I look forward to learning.

As practice, I tried to translate part of Bon Jovi's song It's My Life.
I will tell you that interpreting song lyrics can be very difficult because they're often metaphorical and poetic and require a deep analysis of the source text to produce an accurate translation (that is to say looking past the words and interpreting for meaning).

If you're new to the language and trying to get a handle on ASL grammar and sentence structure then I recommend using children's books as a source text. Start with the basics and work your way up from there.

Translation and interpretation are two entirely different ideas.

Think about what the lyrics mean not only as individual lines, but as a story. What does he mean by the things he says? Is it good to sign "face in the crowd" literally or can you rethink it to be more clear?

If you want grammar, I'd agree with the previous poster and say taking things simple would be best. Interpreting a song as a way of learning isn't a terrible idea, but it may be far better to join a local club or take a local class than jumping right from the basics into complex concept structure and poetry.

I'm also finding your glossing style a little confusing. Dashes are usually used for single signs, like DONT-WANT and EAT-NOON. You seem to be using them for multiple signs strung together. Maybe check out the standard method of glossing?

Back