in-flight birth on plane...

I guess she was desparate to go to work and not have the responsibility of the child.

I'm surprised no one on the plane heard her while she was in labor and giving birth to the baby in the bathroom. Labor must be painful, from what I have seen, and it has got to be so hard to give birth quietly on a plane.

And I'm surprised they let her on the plane unless she somehow concealed her pregnancy which has to be really hard to do so if it is near to full term...a basketball-sized tummy has got to be very hard to miss. UNLESS she is one of those rare women who didn't have a large belly during her pregnancy, like my mother...I have pictures of my mom before she gave birth to me, and she was huge. But then I remember when she was pregnant with my sister, she showed absolutely NO signs of being pregnant, she didn't have a big belly or anything...I didn't even know I was going to have a sibling until a teacher told me about 3 days before my sister was born that my mom would be having a baby VERY soon, and I still didn't quite understand what that meant...then one morning I woke up at 6 am and found my uncle sitting in the kitchen. I asked my uncle "where is my daddy?", and he tried to explain (he doesn't sign much beyond family relations signs (mom, dad, uncle, aunt, etc) and just as he was trying to explain, the door opened and my dad appeared and said "Lucia, come with me, come meet your baby sister!" and we went to the hospital. It was a total surprise for me...apparently my mom went into labor during the night and my dad had taken her to the hospital. I wish they had woken me up and take me along, I would have liked to see my sister be born.

But still...it must have been really difficult to stay quiet while in labor on the plane...

Very stupid. How would you feel when someone give u birth and dump into in a pile of trash as you are so helpless and everything?

Yep you wouldnt like it. at all.

I'm surprised no one on the plane heard her while she was in labor and giving birth to the baby in the bathroom. Labor must be painful, from what I have seen, and it has got to be so hard to give birth quietly on a plane.

But still...it must have been really difficult to stay quiet while in labor on the plane...

Lucia,

It is possible to give birth without making noise. I have given birth without making a sound... I'm just saying it's possible for a women to give birth without making a sound and I was one of them.

This disgusts me, I can't believe a women would treat her newborn like that.

Yea it is actually surprising that the newborn was found ALIVE so I hope baby would live thru this.

Lucia,

It is possible to give birth without making noise. I have given birth without making a sound... I'm just saying it's possible for a women to give birth without making a sound and I was one of them.

Did you have an epidural?

A woman who gave birth to a baby on an international flight from Samoa to Auckland was remanded in custody after she appeared in court today - charged with abandoning the baby girl and assaulting her.

The 29-year-old Samoan woman's baby is now in the care of Child Youth and Family (CYF).

During her brief appearance at Manukau District Court today, the woman was granted name suppression, and was remanded in custody without plea until April 9 .

The woman was charged six days after cleaners found the baby in a toilet rubbish bin on a Pacific Blue flight from Samoa to Auckland.

She was on her way to New Zealand with 72 other passengers to work as a kiwifruit picker when her daughter was born. She also has one other child living in Samoa.

The infant was found after the woman had left the aircraft. The mother and baby were both taken to Middlemore Hospital in South Auckland.

Detective Inspector Mark Gutry said abandoning a child was a serious matter.

But whether or not the woman was sent back to Samoa would be a matter for the court and Immigration to decide, Mr Gutry added.

Advertisement Advertisement

"We're working with Samoan authorities and authorities in New Zealand to ensure the best outcome.

"We have spoken to people on the plane, and certainly they've been able to provide us with information in relation to this matter.

"It's not certain when the mother went into labour, and nobody else was aware that she was in labour prior to the flight.

"What they've said and what they've told us is before the courts now," Mr Gutry said.

He added the baby was well and had not suffered significant injuries or long-term effects.

"We are asking that the mother stays in custody until her medical treatment is completed and her immigration issues are resolved.

"At this stage we don't expect there will be any further charges," Mr Gutry said.

Part of the police inquiry looked at where the child was born. It was discovered by staff after the plane had landed, and passengers had left.

Whether the child was treated as a New Zealand or a Samoan citizen had yet to be finally determined but she may be treated as Samoan, he said.

However, that did not indicate she was born over Samoan airspace or in Samoan territory, he said.

"There are a whole lot of issues around that - the aircraft and where that is from, where they have come from, where exactly she was born. So there are a whole lot of issues around that to be addressed."

That issue was not necessarily one the police would take up.

"The police concern is the welfare of the child and the offences that have been committed around the birth and the abandonment," he said.

Marion Heeney, regional director of Child, Youth and Family, said the mother has agreed to place the child temporarily in their care.

"The child will be placed with family in Auckland and we will continue to work closely with those involved to determine what long term arrangements are best for this baby," Ms Heeney said.

A spokeswoman from New Zealand Immigration said they would not comment on individual cases.

Source: Woman who gave birth on plane appears in court - National - NZ Herald News

I found more information from New Zealand site.

Back