The Top 17 Reasons People Go to Rehab

rockin'robin

Reaction score
In the 60s and 70s, law enforcement officials were up in arms about marijuana use. In the 80s, everyone was terrified of the crack epidemic. HealthGrove set out to find the biggest drug problems facing America today. Using 1992-2012 data from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), HealthGrove found the dramatic increases, surprising declines, and interesting demographic patterns for 17 of the most common drug categories.

All data is for admissions to rehabilitation facilities until 2012.

Cocaine/Crack #17
Five-year decrease of 51.7%

The largest decrease in rehab admissions over the past five years has been from cocaine and crack addiction. Interestingly, while the overall number of admissions are decreasing, the percent of admissions made up by people 45 and older is skyrocketing. This could be due to the fact that the drug became popular in the 80s and former abusers are starting to enter rehab decades later.

Stimulants #16
Five-year decrease of 46.8%

Stimulants can include anything from cocaine to amphetamines to prescription medication (“uppers”). The name describes the effect the drug has on the body – these drugs speed up central nervous system functions, including metabolism, heart rate, energy levels, and body temperature. Stimulant use is often associated with high-stress work environments; people in their late 20s make up the majority of users, and 36% of admits reported using stimulants every day before they checked into rehab.

Barbiturates #15
Five-year decrease of 31.8%

Barbiturates, known on the street as downers, barbs, and sleepers, give users a feeling of contentment and euphoria. Legal barbiturates are being prescribed less and less due to overdose risk, but they are still used as analgesics for migraines as well as sedatives. Interestingly, unlike almost every other drug where most users are male, 62% of barbiturate users are female. This could be explained by the fact that barbiturates used to be commonly prescribed for anxiety, migraines, and insomnia – all conditions found more often in women.

Non-Barbiturate Sedatives and Hypnotics #14
Five-year decrease of 24.6%

This drug group mainly consists of prescription sedatives and sleeping pills. Use is mostly concentrated in the South, with Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and Louisiana leading the way. Like barbiturates, sedatives users are distinct in that the majority are women.

Non-Benzodiazepine Tranquilizers #13
Five-year decrease of 24.5%

Non-benzo tranquilizer abuse – including Z-drugs such as Ambien – has been on the decline since 1992. These drugs are often prescribed as sleep aids, but abuse and illegal use can lead to dependency and dangerous side effects, including hallucinations, amnesia, and altered thought patterns. Most users began in the 12-14 year age range, and 35% of admits were referred to rehab by a court.

Methamphetamine #12
Five-year decrease of 16.9%

The subject of the widely popular series Breaking Bad, meth has gained notoriety as a highly addictive and dangerous drug. Nearly half of meth addicts admitted to treatment facilities were referred after run-ins with the law, and 18% were homeless. Fortunately, recent years have seen a decrease in overall use; meth users currently account for less than 7% of total rehab admits.

Alcohol #11
Five-year decrease of 13.2%

While alcohol abuse is on the decline, it still makes up nearly 40% of overall rehab admissions, making it the number one reason people enter a treatment facility. Alcohol abuse ranges from only 22% of rehab admissions in California to about 75% in South Dakota, and nearly three quarters of admits are men.

Marijuana #10
Five-year decrease of 0.5%

Rehab admissions for marijuana abuse – making up 17% of total admissions to treatment facilities – have stayed relatively constant over the past 5 years. Most admits started using marijuana when they were 14 or younger, which is earlier than the average starting age for most other drugs. About half of admissions were referred by a court, so it will be interesting to see how this data changes as legalization becomes more widespread.

Inhalants #9
Five-year increase of 1.1%

Inhalant abuse rates have also remained about the same over the past five years. Highest use is clustered most in the plains states (Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, North Dakota), and inhalant abuse has one of the highest correlations with psychiatric illness, at about 40%.

Non-prescription Methadone #8
Five-year increase of 3.7%

Methadone is typically given to heroin addicts who are trying to quit, as it mimics the effects of heroin while allowing users to slowly wean themselves off the drug. Unfortunately, people can also become addicted to methadone itself. Maine, which also has high heroin abuse rates, leads the United States in the percent of overall rehab admits from methadone use at nearly 5%.

Heroin #7
Five-year increase of 9%

Heroin is one of the most addictive illicit drugs out there. Of all people admitted to rehab, 82% have been admitted before, indicating a very high failure rate. Nearly 70% of users also report abuse of another drug, with cocaine and crack as the most popular second choice. Heroin use is highest in New England, with Massachusetts, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and Connecticut reporting the highest proportion of rehab admits coming from heroin abusers.

Over-the-Counter Medications #6
Five-year increase of 13.5%

Over-the-counter medication abuse doesn’t make up a huge proportion of overall substance abuse in the United States, but rates have been steadily rising since the 90s. Commonly abused OTC medications include DXM (cough syrup), painkillers, pseudoephedrine, and diet pills. Nearly 40% of users reported also having a psychiatric illness as well as a drug addiction.

Hallucinogens #5
Five-year increase of 26%

Hallucinogen use was declining in the 90s, but it has seen a 26% increase over the past 5 years, perhaps due to the rising popularity of raves. This drug group includes psychedelics such as LSD, DMT, and mescaline, and users are typically under 30 years old.

Amphetamines #4
Five-year increase of 29.8%

Although methamphetamine is the most notorious drug in the amphetamine family, it is only one of many drugs in this class. Like hallucinogens, general amphetamine use took a sharp dip years ago, but it has increased in recent years. 85% of people admitted to rehab for amphetamines are white, and states in the South and Southwest have higher percentages of overall admission coming from amphetamine abusers (Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma).

Bzodiazepines #3
Five-year increase of 62.8%

Known colloquially as benzos, downers, and tranks, this drug class has relaxant and sedative properties. Many addicts start with a legitimate prescription for Valium or Xanax, become dependent, and fall into abuse. Unlike many other drugs, which have seen fluctuations over the past few decades, benzo has seen a steady increase. Use is concentrated in the South, and a high percentage of users also abuse other drugs, especially opiates and synthetics.

Other Opiates and Synthetics #2
Five-year increase of 75.8%

Opiates and synthetics such as oxycodone (OxyContin), morphine, and codeine have seen a steady and consistent increase over the past two decades, with only a slight dip in 2012. Abuse is mostly concentrated east of the Mississippi, with Maine at the top of the list.

PCP #1
Five-year increase of 79.3%

Known on the street as angel dust, supergrass, and zoom, PCP has seen ups and downs over time since its creation in the 1950s. However, it has seen an increase of nearly 80% over the past five years. Most states see less than 1% of their rehab admissions from PCP use, but rates in Washington D.C. are over 9%.

http://substance-abuse-rates.health...drug-abuse-trends&utm_term=healthgrove#17-PCP

intresting but if you look at it from worlds point of view you can see a thread for example Said ARabia got one worlds highest demand for valium among women I believe NAPAL it marijunia mainly among hindu religious men even though illegal Fija it carver leaves(think that what it called Grum would know)Somarlia they use something no remember its name but it legal in uk and highly addictive...I now been told beetle nuts are highly addictive what with I not a clue..allways be something .I read IS high as kite on hashish but get the chop if drink
Many young Russians came back from Afgantistan addicted to herioin that when Russia invaded Afganistan and I expect many young American and British lads same..i don't know if LSD is still used but that was dangerous glu sniffing was popular but don't hear of it anymore...many use to blot out horrors they seen Viet Nam vets good example..Then got legal highs...Humans appear have need for something find the reason got the cure

My husband has been a heroin addict for over 11 years, and I just found out about it- we’re divorced. Now he’s come back, and wants to get rid of it somehow. The withdrawal is taking his toll on him- he doesn’t talk and sits like a ghost. He doesn’t even want to be touched. He is taking some meds that his GP recommends,but I’m very worried. I found this site showing several rehab programs. Should I get him admitted to some center for addiction treatment in Calgary? I found some contact details on http://canadadrugrehab.ca , and I’m thinking of making a call.

I sorry harry, but he will get through it..He be suffering stomach cramps and the trots he proberly a cough and definatly flu like symptoms whole body got re-route it self get its own endorphins working properly...being touched is one of the things that can be difficult..i would imagine his whole body screaming for a fix so that going take its toll..if could get him to rehab that be good it show him the issues he got to deal with that heroin hid
good luck harry you and husband stick the journey bc be hell of a ride

Back