What UNIX GUI OS?

:D I believe you will really like it. Just exploring and playing with all the stuff available is loads of fun...TONS of programs to add too.

I basically just want it to work and not mess with commands and etc.. Also want it to work with any files I currently am using so as long as it does that, I will like it.

I basically just want it to work and not mess with commands and etc.. Also want it to work with any files I currently am using so as long as it does that, I will like it.

I have had no issues with it. It works great with everything I had with the windows OS. There is the WINE program to help you run windows programs if you want/need to...and then there is the PLAYONLINUX program to be able to play games the run in the windows OS...say for instance like Diablo. As for the commands...I assume you mean commands typed into the terminal...I am only just learning how that works...so let me know how that goes. ;)

What do you recommend installing that is user friendly and free of charge? It is to install on my girlfriend's Acer laptop with Intel i3 processor @ 2.26 GHz and blu ray drive. Not worth the money to install Windows 7 with all the crap to protect from viruses, spyware, etc.

I would first check to see which OS has blue ray drivers for YOUR drive. You can go with Linux and (although I have not tried it) I'd look into android because it seems to work really well on phones. Also, keep in mind the optical drivers may not be all you need, sound cards, on board hardware all need drivers as well. I would look on the net to see if someone else has switched to Linux on that chip and motherboard and what problems, if any, they had.

Sheesh I missed the train here!! I am a Ubuntu Linux users. Ubuntu is the popular Linux that many people who are noob can use. I love Ubuntu cuz it's easy to use and flexible. I've done lot more on Ubuntu by throwing in eyecandies and some programs I've installed through Terminal. Right now, My Acer Aspire 1551 laptop have Windows 7 Home Edition and I dual booted with Ubuntu by using Wubi (install Linux inside Windows) so I can boot up and select Ubuntu when I need it.

The only problem was that I want to watch Netflix on Ubuntu, there are Moonlight (proxy of Silverlight) plugins but it DOES NOT work at all. I kept getting "compatibilty" message on netflix page. The only solution is to install Virtualbox and install Windows XP then install Silverlight. It works like charm!! but it's kinda a bit choppy. If you play Neflix in XP using Virtulbox, Be sure that Windows XP clock are set date day ahead because Netflix won't run on Today's date. It's a weird problem and I managed to figure it out.

I heard that Google is thinking about buying Netflix. If Google proceed and hopefully they will have it available for Linux distro!!

I've tried Chrome OS on my laptop. It booted up but rather slow then say video isn't compatible and rebooted. Because Chrome OS is the only Linux Distro that Neflix works on plugins.

I would try Zorin OS and see how I like it :lol: .. I've experimented many distros such as Sabayon Linux, Knoppix, Damn Small Linux (DSL), Mint Linux, and many more and currently I had over 30 CDroms of Linux distro and it's old now. I noticed that I tend to fall back to Ubuntu cuz of stabilty and bug free commands. Linux Mint was close enough but had bugs (that was few years ago). I use my thumbdrive to turn it to Linux drive. It's easy and less messy :lol:

I really want to get hell out of Windows world and immerse to Linux world but problem are that there are some limitations that been pissing me off. I wanted to install Z4 in Linux but ZVRS haven't built one for Linux due to small numbers of Linux users. Actually they had programmed for Android so why not tweak one for Linux!! The only VRS that I am able to access through Ubuntu are Flash based on Browser such as IWRelay and Conovo.

Be sure to use Driverless webcam that works really well with Linux. I use Logitech Vision Pro for MAC but it works well with ANY platforms as Windows, Linux, Playstation 3, XBox ect. My acer Aspire built in webcam do work but its video is sucky and blind on low light. It'll works just fine on bright day light.

As for Blueray driver, you might want to google search for drivers ect to find out. I'm sure that Linux community are working on it to get Blueray working.

Catty

Back