Benefits of Coconut Oil For Dogs

rockin'robin

Reaction score
There are many benefits of coconut oil for dogs being discovered for dogs, even though it was not recommended in the past. The coconut, also known as the “tree of life”, has been found to have many benefits not only for humans, but for our best friends as well.

There are many products and furniture made from coconut lumber and leaves. Many foods and desserts have at least a bit of coconut milk in them. But the most popular use of the coconut, in the field of health and medicine, is the coconut’s oil, which has been found to cure or alleviate many diseases.

Benefits of Coconut Oil For Dogs

Many diseases and ailments, like yeast infections, smelly coats, hot spots, cuts that have been infected, and even cracked paws, can all be cured with just a jar of “virgin coconut oil.” When all forms of diet remedies have failed, then it is time to try out this miracle natural medicine for your dog. Virgin coconut oil means that it is unrefined, and it can be used for both dogs and humans. Lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid, can help prevent bacterial and viral infections. This is most commonly found in a mother’s milk and builds the immune system. Fortunately, dogs can benefit from the same kind of protection and health advantages it gives throughout their lives.

There are many other benefits of coconut oil for dogs, all good reasons why you should give your dog some virgin coconut oil. First, it can potentially reduce cancer risks. It also improves the digestion of your dog and becomes medicine for most digestive upsets. The thyroid function is also kept normal with coconut oil. It can give your dog a smooth glossy coat, as well as healthy, supple skin. Yeast and fungal infections are also treated and prevented through the use of coconut oil. Arthritis and similar pains can also be minimized or treated. Coconut can also balance your dog’s metabolism rate to keep his weight under control.

Another area in which amazing results have been attained is in prevention of parasitic infestations, and apparently curing the problem in many instances. As described in an article on the HealingNaturallyByBee.com website:

Coconut oil may provide an effective defense against many troublesome parasites including giardia. Like bacteria and fungi, giardia can’t stand up against MCFA found in coconut oil.

Research has confirmed the effectiveness of MCFA in destroying giardia and possibly other protozoa.5,6,7 By using coconut oil and other coconut products every day, you may be able to destroy giardia before it can establish a toehold.

It can be given internally or applied externally, and can provide remedies for many skin infections. It can disinfect cuts and improve your dog’s general skin and coat condition, making it healthier. Wounds also heal faster with coconut oil, and it helps to deodorize your dog’s skin and clear up some rashes as well.

And unlike most herbal products that are good for your dog’s health, coconut is something that your dog will most probably love to eat. They will most likely gobble up the coconut oil and not be too picky with it. Just as humans can get a bit nutty for coconut, so can our beloved buddies. Mix it with their food – it has cured many picky eaters.

Many vets and researchers today are recommending the regular use of coconut oil for dogs and many other pets as an excellent source of nutrients, which keeps your dog in good health.

The recommended dose is pretty easy; just give a teaspoon of coconut oil per 10 pounds of dog, or you can give a table spoon per 30 pounds. Start with about 1/4 the recommended dosage and build up to the recommended level over 3-4 weeks, as sometimes flu-like symptoms can appear if you hurried it right away.

More benefits of coconut oil for dogs are being constantly discovered. Get some for your fur baby’s health and well-being.

http://www.dogingtonpost.com/benefits-of-coconut-oil-for-dogs/

Has anyone tried this?....My friend has 2 Great Danes and swears by it....I am thinking of trying it with my Pomeranian, Anita....some people say that it also retards fleas....And I spend $20/month on Trifexis for my doggie....

Trader Joe's has it...$10.99 jar....

I would go very slowly with small dog and give it to her every other day to see she does. She could get the runs if given too much at once.

Yes....that's what I was told....and also you can bathe ur doggie....then use the oil as a conditioner...leave on for several minutes....rinse off well...for very soft and fluffy hair...
Will be giving my doggie another very, very small amount tonight. She actually likes it.

Then then it should be good for people hair but I would be very careful using this in this bathtub . You know oil and water does not mix very well. I guess you could wash your dog in a baby tub . I remeber when were kids we would made the tub slippery for fun. Our dad did not think it was funny when he fell getting into the bathtub.

Bathtub is always cleaned after washing my small doggie in it. Some people wash theirs in the kitchen sink...:shock:

Bathtub is always cleaned after washing my small doggie in it. Some people wash theirs in the kitchen sink...:shock:

I send my dogs out for washing! :lol:

I would worry too about diarrhea if you gave them too much oil.

I wonder where dogmom is? She knows a lot about the natural treatments for dogs.

I wonder where dogmom is? She knows a lot about the natural treatments for dogs.

My doggie usually goes to the groomer too....and my friend did caution me about giving my doggie too much, since it would cause diarrhea....She also said she only gives her Great Danes flea control about every 3 months now and has had no problems w/fleas....

I do send my dog out the washing too , yeah you really have to be careful giving dog oil especially small doggies .

@RR I thought of giving Marty a bath in the sink but I was worried he hit the switch for garbage disposal . :eek3: Plus his fur could jam up the garbage disposal . I found this web site about how to give your dog coconut oil.

http://victoriasallnaturalpethealth...ation/how-to-feed-your-dog-or-cat-coconut-oil

:wave:Botti and RR and all...I'm behind....!

Yes, I use coconut oil regularly with my girls, given internally and on the coat directly. Extra-virgin, organic spectrum, not anything refined...label will tell you.

My girls love to eat it right off the spoon but I also put a blob in their raw food.
Rubs in sooo nice on the coat, just kinda melts in and also makes your hand smell good!

We sell and recommend routinely at the holistic pet supply shop where I work.

You're right about going slowly, WDYS! Start with less than a teaspoon maybe, depending on the size of the dog. Start slowly with any new thing but especially with new chews, food or oils.

I've been using coconut oil for my dogs for a few years now. I also use wild salmon oil, sardine oil, organic hemp oil and once in a while, krill oil, with them.
I have a routine of going through various types of oils and the different types of fats have different benefits.

:wave:Botti and RR and all...I'm behind....!

Yes, I use coconut oil regularly with my girls, given internally and on the coat directly. Extra-virgin, organic spectrum, not anything refined...label will tell you.

My girls love to eat it right off the spoon but I also put a blob in their raw food.
Rubs in sooo nice on the coat, just kinda melts in and also makes your hand smell good!

We sell and recommend routinely at the holistic pet supply shop where I work.

You're right about going slowly, WDYS! Start with less than a teaspoon maybe, depending on the size of the dog. Start slowly with any new thing but especially with new chews, food or oils.

I've been using coconut oil for my dogs for a few years now. I also use wild salmon oil, sardine oil, organic hemp oil and once in a while, krill oil, with them.
I have a routine of going through various types of oils and the different types of fats have different benefits.

:wave:...my doggie gets 1/8 teaspoon for the past 3 days...she likes it....in another week, I'll increase it....so far, no "runnies"...and her coat is looking "fluffier".....

coconut been on health good for you for some years now google it...I used it on my cat and he 20 with good fur

I give my dog coconut oil organic virgin unrefined from
Costco. In her dinner daily.

Back