My Wife's SSD Cut Off

yizuman

Reaction score
This morning, I came to discover in great shock that my wife's SSD has been stopped.

Yesterday, I noticed her SSD wasn't automatically deposited as it usually does every 3rd of the month.

This morning I checked again and it still wasn't there. So I got on VP and called to inquire what's going on with her SSD. Come to find out, they stopped her SSD because of her overpayment history.

10 years ago, her previous husband who is a wife beater, would not allow my wife to report her income and job gain under threat of being beaten if she did, because he wanted all of the money that he could get his hands on. This resulted in overpayment. SSA finds out about it later and is making my wife repay the overpayment as a result on account of her ex-husband controlling her finaces.

My wife is a double amputee and has been since she was 15 years old. She was born with one leg and lost her left and only leg to bone cancer. She's been wheelchair ridden since then.

2 years ago, her health began on a decline when she suffered a congestive heart failure, respiratory arrest, renal failure and a stroke. She's been hospitalized for a year. She came home last year on May 13th. She's permanently bedridden. She goes on dialysis 3 times a week and is transported by ambulance (as of this winter for safety reason because electric wheelchairs don't navigate well on snow. Otherwise, during warm months, she takes a van via transportation company to the renal center).

We're facing a possible loss of our home as a result. I am currently unemployed and am drawing unemployment vouchers which ends in May of this year. I was let go because my boss felt uncomfortable with the idea that I may be caring for my wife more often than working, I asked to work part time while I make the transition to help get my wife settled after coming home from the hospital and looking for in-home nursing care so I can go back to work full time. he let me go instead on the same day my wife came home. Thanks, jerk!!

I've already contacted the SSD attorney's office and not heard back yet from them. I also contacted my wife's doctor to obtain medical documentation on my wife's current medical condition for me to take to the SSA office to show proof of 100% disability.

For the past 10 years, my wife agreed to allow SSA to take out $50 a month out of her SSD to repay the overpayment, also due to the fact of lack of proof that her ex-husband put her under duress for disallowing her to report her income and job gain. This went on for 10 years and for some reason, SSA is now dissatisfied with her monthly repayment and is now withholding her entire amount until 2013 when it can then resume sending her SSD.

I will try and get this mess resolved. But at this point, excuse my french, we're fucked.

Yiz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

:grouphug: I sure hope it can all get worked out with documentation of your wifes' medical condition.

Last edited:
:eek: That's not nice for them to do that to you and your wife. This should be fixed.
I am sorry to hear what has happened

:grouphug:

I'm really sorry. I hope you can get it resolved.

I'm very sorry about your situation. I hope you can get it resolved. My prayers are with you and your wife. :hug:

This morning, I came to discover in great shock that my wife's SSD has been stopped.

Yesterday, I noticed her SSD wasn't automatically deposited as it usually does every 3rd of the month.

This morning I checked again and it still wasn't there. So I got on VP and called to inquire what's going on with her SSD. Come to find out, they stopped her SSD because of her overpayment history.

10 years ago, her previous husband who is a wife beater, would not allow my wife to report her income and job gain under threat of being beaten if she did, because he wanted all of the money that he could get his hands on. This resulted in overpayment. SSA finds out about it later and is making my wife repay the overpayment as a result on account of her ex-husband controlling her finaces.

My wife is a double amputee and has been since she was 15 years old. She was born with one leg and lost her left and only leg to bone cancer. She's been wheelchair ridden since then.

2 years ago, her health began on a decline when she suffered a congestive heart failure, respiratory arrest, renal failure and a stroke. She's been hospitalized for a year. She came home last year on May 13th. She's permanently bedridden. She goes on dialysis 3 times a week and is transported by ambulance (as of this winter for safety reason because electric wheelchairs don't navigate well on snow. Otherwise, during warm months, she takes a van via transportation company to the renal center).

We're facing a possible loss of our home as a result. I am currently unemployed and am drawing unemployment vouchers which ends in May of this year. I was let go because my boss felt uncomfortable with the idea that I may be caring for my wife more often than working, I asked to work part time while I make the transition to help get my wife settled after coming home from the hospital and looking for in-home nursing care so I can go back to work full time. he let me go instead on the same day my wife came home. Thanks, jerk!!

I've already contacted the SSD attorney's office and not heard back yet from them. I also contacted my wife's doctor to obtain medical documentation on my wife's current medical condition for me to take to the SSA office to show proof of 100% disability.

For the past 10 years, my wife agreed to allow SSA to take out $50 a month out of her SSD to repay the overpayment, also due to the fact of lack of proof that her ex-husband put her under duress for disallowing her to report her income and job gain. This went on for 10 years and for some reason, SSA is now dissatisfied with her monthly repayment and is now withholding her entire amount until 2013 when it can then resume sending her SSD.

I will try and get this mess resolved. But at this point, excuse my french, we're fucked.

Yiz

I wonder if you know you can request for a waiver form. If you haven't done it more than a year. I thought if i mention it to encourage you to go to your local SSA and ask for a waiver form ssa 632. Have her proof of income resource and yours to list out of your bills with your evidences and everything what is on list. More likely they wouldn't waive the OP however they would be willing to adjust the amount of $ you guys can afford to pay, but sometimes these Claims Representatives can be fair with your situation and sometimes not. =? Keep asking lots of questions like how often can you request a waiver within a year or two years. But, lately, These treasury people can be too harsh about the overpayments.

Hope you will get it straight out soon as much as you contact your SSA. =/

Was wondering where you have been.....this is terrible news!...Get a legal aid lawer as fast as you can....Don't undy why they are wanting "all" the $$ back immediately....as long as ur paying $50/monthly, that should suffix....something isn't right here!

Wow! I am really sorry about this. That's seriously screwed up!

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear about this situation. I do hope you can get it resolved.

That's terrible. She should have a report from a Psychologist who can verify that she was under duress and send it to SSD.

You must appeal and don't give up.

Hope your wife won't become ill over this.

did she forget to fill out a renewal form and have she renew her address so all mails from the SS will come to that address ? Some states require that.

I hope you get it straightened out. It terrible for someone with a disability to lose money like that.

did she forget to fill out a renewal form and have she renew her address so all mails from the SS will come to that address ? Some states require that.

No, she's live in this same house for 15 years or a little more. She gets a direct deposit into her bank w/o any form of paper check involved. It gets deposited into the bank account automatically each month.

wow, 8 pages long. That's alot to fill out. Ok I'll try this.

Thanks

wow, 8 pages long. That's alot to fill out. Ok I'll try this.

Thanks

Yes Its several pages. Just collecting all of your paystubs or varies of bills that you guys paid for necessary for your wife's supplies. Just showing how much you guys can afford to pay for your home monthly, electricity bills, grocery and check whatever these questions to ask you to answer them. Be sure to have your bill stubs evidences. Sometimes it helps for them to see why you guys need some $ instead of taking the whole check. =/ I still encourage you to contact SSA today in following up about the ssa 632 form.

Just focus on finding evidences what you guys have than explaining without the proof. It's the best thing is to start with ssa 632 now.

oh, you might need a SSA 561 form as well. Take both SSA 561 and SSA 632 forms and start them now. They usually review the cases that takes about 60 days or longer. Like I said, contact your local ssa asap.

60 days??? That's crazy! We can't wait that long! *sighs*

I'm on the VP right now to ask what information they want me to bring to them in order to get this mess straighten out. Naturally, I've been put on hold.....

What's the link for the SSA 561? Their website is like a huge mess trying to find anything.

Thanks

Does your wife have a social worker at the hospital assigned to her? I know at the hospitals here, a patient can have a social worker assigned who will help the patients obtain and manage various social services, and advocate for them with the various organizations (such as SS, insurance, Medicare, etc.). They know the short cuts and contact points to get things rolling, and can often convince agencies to either hold off on benefit reductions, or get benefits reinstated in a quick manner.

It sounds like you need someone to coordinate all your situations. It can be overwhelming for the average person to handle.

Back