A hate crime....

I saw that article earlier in the day, kokonut. Very disturbing.

I'm a libertarian so I'm pretty much in favor of a smaller, more efficient government. I'm also very liberal on social issues.

The idea of hate crimes has always rubbed me the wrong way. Social engineering or trying to legislate tolerance is a slippery slope.

Even though I abhor racism and homophobia, the idea of placing more value on another human being is the exact opposite of equality. All crimes are hate crimes.

I'm not sure what happened there would qualify as a hate crime, but I guarantee you if he wasn't a conservative there would be widespread outrage over this.

It's a shame that some people on the left seem to have selective outrage.

Absolutely 2

BTW: Welcome to AD

Nice hyperbole. I have no complaints about you. Or anybody else. I certainly do not make a daily attempt to basically whine about a person's postings and dredging up a quasi-like conspiracies. I agree, DaveM should read up on the posters' comments around here.

Ok, I will have to read up on here. Are you one of the few conservatives?

Nice hyperbole. I have no complaints about you. Or anybody else. I certainly do not make a daily attempt to basically whine about a person's postings and dredging up a quasi-like conspiracies. I agree, DaveM should read up on the posters' comments around here.

What are your views on this article?

Rather tough to engage in a reasonable debate when people ask you questions and you refuse to answer. SWK has asked you the same question at least twice. At least answer it, otherwise you don't have credibility in this very thread.

Rather tough to engage in a reasonable debate when people ask you questions and you refuse to answer. SWK has asked you the same question at least twice. At least answer it, otherwise you don't have credibility in this very thread.

Not in the least bit worried. I'll answer it in due time. Patience, grasshopper.

When you find some "ammo" from someone else? Otay ........

I saw that article earlier in the day, kokonut. Very disturbing.

I'm a libertarian so I'm pretty much in favor of a smaller, more efficient government. I'm also very liberal on social issues.

The idea of hate crimes has always rubbed me the wrong way. Social engineering or trying to legislate tolerance is a slippery slope.

Even though I abhor racism and homophobia, the idea of placing more value on another human being is the exact opposite of equality. All crimes are hate crimes.

I'm not sure what happened there would qualify as a hate crime, but I guarantee you if he wasn't a conservative there would be widespread outrage over this.

It's a shame that some people on the left seem to have selective outrage.

Over generalization. All crimes are not hate crimes. There is a specific set of criteria to be met to be classified as a hate crime.

So, you would be satisfied with marginalized persons being given less justice in a crime committed against them?

Well, the beating was undeserved. No one deserves that beating regardless.

whoops, the second article, I've known about Coulter's, not a surprise.

Could you describe a situation in which a beating is deserved?:roll:

Totally noncommittal. Just waiting for someone to post something you can ditto. Think for a change, and engage in actual discussion.

Over generalization. All crimes are not hate crimes. There is a specific set of criteria to be met to be classified as a hate crime.

So, you would be satisfied with marginalized persons being given less justice in a crime committed against them?

I understand the concept and the well meaning aspect of a hate crime, jillio. Often times well meaning legislation has unintended negative consequences.

I don't like ANYONE being given less justice. Who is the arbiter of what constitutes "marginalized"? Justice should be equal for all. Hate crimes come close to being very Orwellian and in some cases border on "thought" crimes.

A woman being assaulted in a park alone is just as disgusting as someone beating or assaulting a gay person.

I understand the concept and the well meaning aspect of a hate crime, jillio. Often times well meaning legislation has unintended negative consequences.

I don't like ANYONE being given less justice. Who is the arbiter of what constitutes "marginalized"? Justice should be equal for all. Hate crimes come close to being very Orwellian and in some cases border on "thought" crimes.

A woman being assaulted in a park alone is just as disgusting as someone beating or assaulting a gay person.

So, Blacks, women, the GLTB populations aren't marginalized?

And hate crime laws can be applied to the majority population, as well. Intent is always a part of the criminal charge and the punishment.

Back