Dealing with Neighbor complaints of Loud Noises

What you said is an insult to the Deaf Community and their culture. I am not deaf but I am hearing and I have a deaf boyfriend of 8 years. When someone is Deaf their entire life and has never been able to hear anything or anything in normal hearing they have no idea when sounds that are annoying to the hearing world are being loud. They have never heard those sounds and haven't a clue what causes them. They don't always know a book hitting the ground is causing a loud noise, or if closing a door normal to them, sounds like it's slamming to us. You are ignorant fool.

Oh yay, another idiot hearie come to tell us how deaf works.

We know all that stuff. You can't grow up in the world without finding it out.

Don't infantilize us.

(Apologies to DeafDucky)

Call the police on the roommate, then make a ton of noise till they show up and file a complaint on him.... Damn Harrassers !

I heard this constant banging,,,,thought it was you !

What you said is an insult to the Deaf Community and their culture. I am not deaf but I am hearing and I have a deaf boyfriend of 8 years. When someone is Deaf their entire life and has never been able to hear anything or anything in normal hearing they have no idea when sounds that are annoying to the hearing world are being loud. They have never heard those sounds and haven't a clue what causes them. They don't always know a book hitting the ground is causing a loud noise, or if closing a door normal to them, sounds like it's slamming to us. You are ignorant fool.

There is a thing called "common sense" it doesn't matter if one can hear or not. It is obvious that a noise is happening by reaction of hearing.

IE: you drop something, someone that is facing away jumps. Obviously something happened to cause that person to jump which is noise.

Anyone that lives long enough would connect the two cause noise is happening all the time. Anyone with "common sense" will eventually connect and understand noises are being made and how.

With that said, it is you that is being ignorant thinking that we are stupid enough to not connect the two and are offending us by thinking we are dumb to not pick up on that.

If a Deaf claims to not understand or not connect the two are being very selfish and self centered in my opinion.

I am on the first floor and I think my neighbor in the unit right over mine think b/c I am hoh it's OK for them to drops heavy items on the floor .
I can feel my walls shake and hear low sounds . One guy would exercise on some kind of machine and my pictures would get tilled on the wall.

Oh yay, another idiot hearie come to tell us how deaf works.

We know all that stuff. You can't grow up in the world without finding it out.

Don't infantilize us.

(Apologies to DeafDucky)
No apologies Botts.

I agree with you. Scorba is the one who has no idea. As Botts said--we all know this and learn. I can remember trying to work with a deaf client of mine to not shuffle his feet when walking. Common sense and observation with a little help from others isn't a bad thing.

Seems Scorba is the ignorant fool.

I am on the first floor and I think my neighbor in the unit right over mine think b/c I am hoh it's OK for them to drops heavy items on the floor .
I can feel my walls shake and hear low sounds . One guy would exercise on some kind of machine and my pictures would get tilled on the wall.

The exercising and walls shaking happens in every apartment building I've ever lived in. My pictures ALWAYS wound up tilted from doors closing (including my own) and other vibrating noises. Apartments and condos tend to have thinner walls so noise travels easier. I can't say whether or not your neighbor does know you are HOH or not but doubt it can be expected for him to remember that all the time. People drop heavy items from time to time- nothing to do with the neighbors.

Ditto. Our other senses compensate for what we don't hear. Vibrations are more obvious than for the average hearing person. And, the majority of us do have common sense. *smh* at scorbia.

Live and let live if can't help then never do harm.somewhere along the line common sense which most deaf people have and like every other member of human race some got more than others.
My neighbours have robust love making my bedroom wall vibrate I lose picture on tv,it last 1 min and I spent twenty try get picture back.The other neighbours moved said to noisy but only happens 3 times a week

One of my neighbors, every Friday late evening would turn their music wide open....I could feel the vibes thru the wall. My doggie :giggle:...didn't know what was going on. They knew I was deaf....soooo...most likely thought it wouldn't bother me...The other neighbors did complain about it tho'.Another 2 neighbors fought a lot, slamming doors....

Another time, when I lived downstairs in an apt., the neighbors upstairs (had kids) used to run, stomp their feet and walk heavily. That bugged me to no end!...So I got the broom handle and beat on the ceiling....They stopped for awhile (or tried to)....Finally they moved.

I worked nights all my life (a night owl)...and getting off work at 2am....wide awake...so I did my housework at night...vacuuming and things like that...not realizing how loud it could be....even moving wall pixtures around (the hammering)....:laugh2:...stopped that when a friend told me how loud I was.

I sleep window wide open often fall asleep with tv on husband comes in about 2am turn it off..No one complained but if they do I will make sure I turn it off..Other people have every right to say something if I keeping them awake.Live together in harmony

I sleep window wide open often fall asleep with tv on husband comes in about 2am turn it off..No one complained but if they do I will make sure I turn it off..Other people have every right to say something if I keeping them awake.Live together in harmony

I have asked my neighbors in my building if my TV is too loud and they said 'No' . I have no idea what is too loud for other people and I feel the same about trying to live in harmony especially when living in a condo .

Sorry for bumping up an old thread. I wonder what the update is now with the OP.

I had similar experiences with my deaf child yelling and being loud. I always respond with guidance when I know she is being loud every single time (I am deaf so I try my best to be observant as I don't want her to be some young punk being loud and wild in the dorm hallways then pulling the deaf card). One time I had a police officer visiting my door due to a neighbor complaint. My baby was giggling at him and he was like aww.. nothing more happened from that. Might have also the charming smile I had on my face. :) The officer probably was concerned there was abuse in my home, too. Fortunately my little does not have this issue anymore from my consistent guidance and having had her try on hearing aids and hear herself. Chuckles.

I've had neighbors trying to pin the "all night loud barking" on my dog but I always proved them wrong with my nice sound sensitive security camera. Fk them. Sound sensitive security camera is almost a necessity in my opinion for us deaf peeps.

Back