Kids get CI??

• Yes. why not

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • No.

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Thought Cloggy had started a thread about deaf parents choosing cis for their children? Whatever happened to it? It just suddenly disappeared?

Thought Cloggy had started a thread about deaf parents choosing cis for their children? Whatever happened to it? It just suddenly disappeared?

Now, I remember. No wonder I got a sense of deja vu. :dunno:

I don't have kids, but if I ever do had kids and they deaf.......

I said maybe, only if THEIR choice want CI and old enough to understand what it means, not copying other people like young kids do.

I wouldn't implant my kids, but if they old enough and ask for one, I would let them.

I put down maybe for this reason. No way in hell am I going the oral route for my deaf kids.

I said no mainly because, even though both my kids are hoh, they have both said no to HA's and both gave a resounding NO! to CI's. Their decision had nothing to do with my thought and beliefs. They research themselves, talked with the audiologist and to people they saw with CI's back in Missouri and made their decision then.

I said no mainly because, even though both my kids are hoh, they have both said no to HA's and both gave a resounding NO! to CI's. Their decision had nothing to do with my thought and beliefs. They research themselves, talked with the audiologist and to people they saw with CI's back in Missouri and made their decision then.

wow, that's powerful about your kids making that decision for themselves.

While I agree with DD's toolbox approach, I don't think CIs are needed for good speech. Nor do I think CIs are needed in young deaf kids nowadays. I would never have my deaf kids grow up orally.

deafskeptic, this is exactly my thinking. What I wanted to say is that it would be a case by case basis. Like I don't know how I would chose until presented with the case. Make sense? And yes, CIs are not needed for good speech. Many of us including those with severe and profound losses learned to speak well without CI.
I would ALSO not have my dhh kids grow up orally either. As I've repeated on the forums, I don't think that kids or anyone should even consider CI until they've totally and completely maxed out on hearing aids.
There are exceptions thou. What about auditory nereopathy? What about recruitment? And yes, aren't there deaf folks who learned to speak with very little hearing? I remmy Curtis Pride only had 5% hearing and still learned to speak orally...and jill is always saying there are severe and profounders who speak better then hoh kids.

I understand the full toolbox. But CIs in babies just because you want them to have oral skills? You have become very oralist, very much like the CI parents on this board. I have a very profound loss. I don't need to explain myself to you. An example from Oregon, and from Wisconsin doesn't justify all. Even another poster and I had to tell you that things are different today. She and I went to the same school -- one that YOU did not attend, and you used a "friend" as a reference for your statements, and we both could tell you it is NOT what you thought it was. I'm tired of this rhetoric.

Wow, just wow. :shock:

wow, that's powerful about your kids making that decision for themselves.

Yes indeedy! I'm ALL for kids making the decision for themselves. But sometimes that isn't possible that is all.

Yes indeedy! I'm ALL for kids making the decision for themselves. But sometimes that isn't possible that is all.

I was born with a very very very very very severe profound deafness and so was my brother. We probably are more deaf than 90% of the Deaf population and we are both doing fine without CIs. It is all about learning assertiveness, self-advocating, and most of all loving ourselves.

i was taught to hate myself by the audists growing up which made me disabled. Discovering the Deaf community, I was able to learn how to advocate for myself in the hearing world so I feel less disabled.

How is that for amphlication? That is what these ignorant hearing parents conbtinue to not to understand no matter how much we educate them

I was born with a very very very very very severe profound deafness and so was my brother. We probably are more deaf than 90% of the Deaf population and we are both doing fine without CIs. It is all about learning assertiveness, self-advocating, and most of all loving ourselves.

i was taught to hate myself by the audists growing up which made me disabled. Discovering the Deaf community, I was able to learn how to advocate for myself in the hearing world so I feel less disabled.

How is that for amphlication? That is what these ignorant hearing parents conbtinue to not to understand no matter how much we educate them

And I wanted to add..I can speak like a hearing person 100% of the time on a good day. All without these f***cking CIs.

I gotta give myself a HUGE pat on my back considering that i was born with a 110 dB loss in both ears and possess the skills to FOOl stupid hearing people into thinking that I am just as hearing as they are. Imagine the HORROR they must have felt to encounter someone with such a severe deafness as I have to possess such clear clear speech skills as they have even better in some cases.

I went through Hell for my speech skills and I will rub it into people's faces that I did it all without needing a f*** CI!

And that is key to a healthy life as a Deaf person.

And I wanted to add..I can speak like a hearing person 100% of the time on a good day. All without these f***cking CIs.

I gotta give myself a HUGE pat on my back considering that i was born with a 110 dB loss in both ears and possess the skills to FOOl stupid hearing people into thinking that I am just as hearing as they are. Imagine the HORROR they must have felt to encounter someone with such a severe deafness as I have to possess such clear clear speech skills as they have even better in some cases.

I went through Hell for my speech skills and I will rub it into people's faces that I did it all without needing a f*** CI!

Exactly! I do have to agree with you guys that the docs and experts push CI like it's A CURE and that any one who uses it will automaticly get clear speech. Most people who have CI, still sound very Clarkie/obviously oral deaf.

and I AM NOT oralist at ALL! Simply b/c I suggested that in SOME cases, implantation might be a good idea does not make me oralist at ALL!

Meaning what? Gets the oral skills you so want all deaf children to have? Otherwise, what's the point? Look at PFH, Shel, me, MANY others who don't need oral skills/speech to get where we are. What does the CI do for us as a child? (And I have a profound loss, remember. Am I that bad off?)
To raise a deaf giving it the opportunity to use ASL with the parents and hear listen and speak with hearing people.. Best of two worlds... Why would you want to deny that to a child?

I understand the full toolbox. But CIs in babies just because you want them to have oral skills? You have become very oralist, very much like the CI parents on this board. I have a very profound loss. I don't need to explain myself to you. An example from Oregon, and from Wisconsin doesn't justify all. Even another poster and I had to tell you that things are different today. She and I went to the same school -- one that YOU did not attend, and you used a "friend" as a reference for your statements, and we both could tell you it is NOT what you thought it was. I'm tired of this rhetoric.
Sorry, but I just had to smile at this..

An example of someone loosing feeling to his arm is a justified example (even though this remarkable happening is nowhere to be found) and some friends of friends see children with CI twitching is a valid example, but "An example from Oregon, and from Wisconsin" doesn't justify...

You liking an example doesn't justify it or make it valid, nor does you disliking an example make it invalid..

A pad on the back from me...
And we've met people that are deaf and have learned to speak perfectly. We were surprised to hear she was totally deaf. She explained she had to work hard to achieve this.. Like you say.. "very, very, very, very hard and she did it without a f****** CI"...

But... "I went through Hell for my speech skills" ... is that what you want for your children...???
Not saying that they have to have CI, but why is it so important to have perfect speech?

Sorry, but I just had to smile at this..

An example of someone loosing feeling to his arm is a justified example (even though this remarkable happening is nowhere to be found) and some friends of friends see children with CI twitching is a valid example, but "An example from Oregon, and from Wisconsin" doesn't justify...

You liking an example doesn't justify it or make it valid, nor does you disliking an example make it invalid..

Yeah, I saw your veiled post to Banjo basically calling him a liar about the arm.

When you quoted my post, you conveniently left out the "ALL" that was at the end of that sentence. I was saying that 2 examples don't justify ALL. That changes that context completely.

No I would not get my children CI's if they happen to be deaf. I want my kids to grow up proud of who they are, deaf or hearing. My children will be exposed to sign from the day they are born, will grow up in Deaf Culture, will understand they are perfect just the way they are. If my children get older and decide they want to go with a CI, then sure... when they can understand what a CI is what it does, and what the potential risks are, then they can make that decision on their own... but I will not allow my children to get a CI before they are of legal adult age (18)... only then can they make the decision on their own...

A pad on the back from me...
And we've met people that are deaf and have learned to speak perfectly. We were surprised to hear she was totally deaf. She explained she had to work hard to achieve this.. Like you say.. "very, very, very, very hard and she did it without a f****** CI"...

But... "I went through Hell for my speech skills" ... is that what you want for your children...???
Not saying that they have to have CI, but why is it so important to have perfect speech?

its not important to have perfect speech... though too many parents think it is... I went through hell for my speech skills too (which aren't perfect)... does that mean that I chose it? NO... my parents chose it for me... they chose the oral road for me... and now I am choosing my own, and am MUCH less frustrated! Would I send my kids to speech therapy... maybe... would I force it upon them... NO way... if my kids were in ST, and they told me they wanted to stop... they could stop at any point... speech is not important, having language and having communication is important.

Back