hate LED

I have some quite lovely Christmas lights that are all LED. I have some that change colours, very neat.

LED is also low heat, it's well efficient than old Christmas light.

Seriously, LED is most energy efficient of all.

The older Christmas light string, you can add up to maybe only 5 sets before it blows the fuse, compare to LED, you could literraly connect 100 sets together without blowing the fuse.

LED are far safer than older lights, they don't emit heat much. The only problem is that the snow can cover it easily without melting the snow. I hate these LED red lights during winter time because it can build snow without melt it and, here comes the accident due to idiots treating broken red light as green light.

Seriously, LED is most energy efficient of all.

The older Christmas light string, you can add up to maybe only 5 sets before it blows the fuse, compare to LED, you could literraly connect 100 sets together without blowing the fuse.

LED are far safer than older lights, they don't emit heat much. The only problem is that the snow can cover it easily without melting the snow. I hate these LED red lights during winter time because it can build snow without melt it and, here comes the accident due to idiots treating broken red light as green light.

Yeah, that was discussed here on Alldeaf a while ago...I think you created a thread about that. I noticed we do have LED traffic lights here and I'm surprised they didn't think about the snow covering the lights during the winter months. I guess they have some kind of technology to melt the snow on contact? I don't know. I will find out this winter.

Yep, LED lights on the MTA railroad gatebars and some newest buses, I never seen new LED display on the newest buses for "Stop Request" including time and date. a few older buses had been replaced stop request signs the inside "Stop Request" (Electrical system behind the Stop Request plate) it's very brightest they're LED bulb now no more old fashioned bulbs!.

Bye bye classic bulbs and come to new LED bulbs!

Hey Deafies... it MIGHT matters to some of you including myself. These old fashioned light bulb will phase out in just couple years. The manufacturer is slowly stopping making these old fashioned light bulbs. Why it matters to me? One thing for sure.... it is the best bulb for doorbell signal, or telephone signals. These compact florescent light bulbs isn't great for doorbell/telephone signaler. However, there are some standard light bulb converting to LED, I am not sure if it will work good with these type of signal and they are outrageous expensive, 45 dollars for a LED bulb.

So.. what's your thought on Halogen, DieHardBiker? It look like to me that it would blow up anytime when flashing.

Halogen is overkill and will be phase out too, and no it won't blow up, it will shorten its life and the CL bulb does not get bright instantly like regular light bulb. Don't tell me to use strobe lights I hate strobe lights with passion.

So.. what's your thought on Halogen, DieHardBiker? It look like to me that it would blow up anytime when flashing.

Wirelessly posted

Halogen won't be phased out.

It's often used for situations that call for both lighting and heating. Hell, I use it everyday mainly for the heating property, not as a light bulb.

Last edited:
Both of them uses same filament, just that Halogen uses different gas in it and trust me, Halogen WILL eventually phase out. Just that it is going to be "Next" because it is not exact as efficient as CL and other newer type bulbs. Mercury Vapor already phased out.

Wirelessly posted

Halogen won't be phased out.

It's often used for situations that call for both lighting and heating. Hell, I use it everyday mainly for the heating property, not as a light bulb.

Both of them uses same filament, just that Halogen uses different gas in it and trust me, Halogen WILL eventually phase out. Just that it is going to be "Next" because it is not exact as efficient as CL and other newer type bulbs. Mercury Vapor already phased out.

Huh?

I still have mercury vapor bulbs without the UV filters on it as well. Costs a lot though.. $40 a bulb, but it got a burnout period of 5,000 hours though. I have to put a tile or piece of wood underneath it because it turns the carpet yellow from the UV exposure though.

Last edited:
Try find new mercury vapor light fixture... I bet you that you won't find it anywhere at stores, OFC they still sells these "Replacement" bulbs but eventually they will stop making. They actually stopped making Mercury vapor fixture few years ago, and I think it was 2008.

Congress had banned Mercury in 1996, don't you notice that mercury based thermometer no longer sells in market?

If you do google, there is information out there.

DHB

Huh?

I still have mercury vapor bulbs without the UV filters on it as well. Costs a lot though.. $40 a bulb, but it got a burnout period of 5,000 hours though. I have to put a tile or piece of wood underneath it because it turns the carpet yellow from the UV exposure though.

Try find new mercury vapor light fixture... I bet you that you won't find it anywhere at stores, OFC they still sells these "Replacement" bulbs but eventually they will stop making. They actually stopped making Mercury vapor fixture few years ago, and I think it was 2008.

Congress had banned Mercury in 1996, don't you notice that mercury based thermometer no longer sells in market?

If you do google, there is information out there.

DHB

Um...

Greenhouse manufactures and zoological manufactures still produce them. Last time I checked, aquaculture manufactures still produce them as well. They are coming out with new designs every year. But yes, for domestic sales, you won't find them at your local Wal-Mart; why? Like you said, the ban in North America.

But phased out? Um... if the oil industry, nevermind all the other industrial sectors, is still demanding them, they won't be phased out.

Halogen is overkill and will be phase out too, and no it won't blow up, it will shorten its life and the CL bulb does not get bright instantly like regular light bulb. Don't tell me to use strobe lights I hate strobe lights with passion.

I doubt that Halogen will be phase out. They're useful for most photograph/video.

I have Halogen lamp on the very same bulb for 8 years. It's only 50 Watts as low, 120 watts for high (itself shut down for 10 minutes of use)

I only can hope for excellent brightness of LED bulb. They're pretty expensive.

I have CFL "Daylight" bulb bright white for DB ppls need to see better.., the other CFL bulbs are non-daylight, it's like same as old bulb not enough bright..

Back